Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Darkening 2 Resource wad?

Thanks, but from what I gathered earlier today, apparently the resource wad and the actual darkening 2 episode are two different things though. In the text it links me to websites that aren't working, oh well, guess I'll try find a way to merge the two wads without breaking them. Still a noob in that area. ;)

Yeah, it wasn't, but see the last home page news for a comment on that.

My maps page would be updated with the correct darken2.wad link if I had access but FTP credentials on doomworld.com don't work anymore. And that's why the texture section hasn't been touched either.

Ola decided there was no point expending energy for a separate resource WAD although I think some people have misinterpreted the Darkening's web site news posting as if they're permitted to poach textures. It should have said your WAD requires darken2.wad included as a separate base. I already had something removed from /idgames a couple years ago because it includes unauthorized graphics. Really haven't been paying attention to the community in the past three years to observe whether there were more transgressions.

For what it's worth, I have a uploaded a copy of the resource.wad we used while developing DE2. It may contain a few extra textures over the released project, but I'm not sure if we actually bothered to remove unused textures. Also note that despite the name, it only contains textures and not the midis.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.weirdchill.org/static/darkening/resource.wad

Feel free to mirror it somewhere more permanent, as that link may go down at some unspecificied time in the future. Perhaps I should upload it to /idgames or something.

Edit: I just uploaded it to the idgames archive, hope it doesn't get rejected.

Afterglow said:

Really haven't been paying attention to the community in the past three years to observe whether there were more transgressions.

I know of one at least. I released two maps using the Darken2.wad as base and then someone decided to make a compilation of these wads and upload to the idgames archive. No idea who did it (only reference to whoever it may be is 'the unknown doomer' in the additional credits part of the txt), but whoever did also ripped the resources from darken2.wad so my maps were playable as a separate pwad.

Dunno why anyone would bother anyway since the maps weren't very good or even serious efforts.

Here's the offending WAD in question.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11736

janvknn said:

For what it's worth, I have a uploaded a copy of the resource.wad we used while developing DE2. It may contain a few extra textures over the released project, but I'm not sure if we actually bothered to remove unused textures. Also note that despite the name, it only contains textures and not the midis.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.weirdchill.org/static/darkening/resource.wad

Feel free to mirror it somewhere more permanent, as that link may go down at some unspecificied time in the future. Perhaps I should upload it to /idgames or something.

Edit: I just uploaded it to the idgames archive, hope it doesn't get rejected.

Thanks! :)

And good to see your still alive man. I just played through Hand of DooM off the first Darkening episode before I saw you posted here. Excellent fucking level!!!

Afterglow said:

My maps page would be updated with the correct darken2.wad link if I had access but FTP credentials on doomworld.com don't work anymore. And that's why the texture section hasn't been touched either.

Ola decided there was no point expending energy for a separate resource WAD although I think some people have misinterpreted the Darkening's web site news posting as if they're permitted to poach textures. It should have said your WAD requires darken2.wad included as a separate base. I already had something removed from /idgames a couple years ago because it includes unauthorized graphics. Really haven't been paying attention to the community in the past three years to observe whether there were more transgressions.

Afterglow are you still in the map making business? Got anything planned down the road hopefully?

Gunrock said:

Afterglow are you still in the map making business? Got anything planned down the road hopefully?

It's 2011, dude.

I actually finished my map for that... though I made it into an Heretic map and released it last year. :p

EDIT: Is anyone but you still involved?

kristus said:

I actually finished my map for that... though I made it into an Heretic map and released it last year. :p

EDIT: Is anyone but you still involved?

That's what I was referencing when I said "lies" in the other thread. I've downloaded Curse of D'sparil but can't find Heretic in the clutter of CDs in my room.

And nah, it's still me. Just needs another 5%.

Heh, maybe I should live up to my promise and make a map for it now... but that would probably take quite a while, so you'd probably be better off without it. :p

Are any of the other's maps still in it? I remember at least Fanatic and Kurtis actually getting something done on it.

kristus said:

Heh, maybe I should live up to my promise and make a map for it now... but that would probably take quite a while, so you'd probably be better off without it. :p

Are any of the other's maps still in it? I remember at least Fanatic and Kurtis actually getting something done on it.

No more levels. No more. Kurt Kesler and Marc Pullen decided to release theirs separately which was OK since they stylistically didn't fit into the set. I did manage to include some of Fanatic's layout in the first level that you probably haven't seen. It combines unreleased work from him, Martin Friberg, Scott Cover, Malcolm Sailor, Ola Björling, Richard Wiles, Adam Williamson, and meself. Sounds like a clusterfuck, but I've made it work. I have 5 huge levels, Cyb has one huge one, and Ola's finale rounds it out... if he ever finishes.

Ooh, nice. Are the custom textures your work?

In any case, looks fantastic, though I don't much like the water puddle/leakage in the "This Isn't Quake II" shot. A couple of custom textures based on the floor texture but darkened/grayed-out with some swirly highlights would probably fit better with the style and look less cartoony. Maybe a couple versions blended at different opacities to fade smoothly from dry to wet...

It's all Ola. The set was finished even before Darken2 came out and was intended for another project that stagnated. I was the only person to make anything of it.

Not going to bother with water flat blending given the limits of Doom's palette.

I did two hours work on my Odium map over Christmas, should be ready for Dooms 20th Anniversary (fingers crossed).

printz said:

This thread looks promising, lots of veterans here :D

I'm winning the Mordeth award this year and nobody can stop me. And 6 years since my previous one, I think I should also win a Mordeth award for Mordeth awards.

printz said:

This thread looks promising, lots of veterans here :D

Yeah, its the veterans that got me into mapping in the first place.

Your instructional request for people using the textures to require dark2tex separately are going to fall on deaf ears, as indicated by the first "review": http://doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16331

The immature element of this community always flies its colours loud and proud but it doesn't matter because anything in /newstuff that doesn't follow these instructions will get nuked.

Afterglow said:

Your instructional request for people using the textures to require dark2tex separately are going to fall on deaf ears, as indicated by the first "review": http://doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16331

The immature element of this community always flies its colours loud and proud but it doesn't matter because anything in /newstuff that doesn't follow these instructions will get nuked.

Oh well, I can't really get worked up about that. The important thing for me is that now there's a correct way for people to use the DE2 textureset if they want to. If they don't, that's on them... *shrug*

*bump*

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've been in touch with Ola, and among the things we discussed were the permissions on the Darkening E2 textures. He agreed on relaxing the permissions, and allowing people to incorporate them in their own projects.

This is what he had to say on the subject:

At the time I felt I didn't want the textures stolen because I had worked so hard on them but now, 13-14-15 years later (I forget how long it's been) I really have no problem with it. I think it's good manners to say "thanks to The Darkening team for the textures" or something to that effect but I will not waste any energy worrying about it.

So there you have it. I know a lot of people had problems with the original restrictive permissions (and some were not so nice about it...) so I hope that this is settled now for once and for all.

As the archive maintainer, I've also re-uploaded the texture wad to the idgames archive with updated permission info in the txt so that everything is "officialized".