Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MSPaintR0cks

Automap doesn`t scroll in PrBoom

I downloaded the newest version of PrBoom, and for some reason the automap doesn`t scroll. The view gets stuck on the place where you were as you opened the map.

Has anyone an idea what causes this problem?
It would be awesome if someone knew what to do. (=

Do you mean it behaves like the original game, and not the way it does by default in Zdoom?

Press F (to turn on Follow mode) to make it do so.

If you mean something else, please give the name of the wad/map you are playing where something odd happens. Strange things can happen with ultra-huge maps.

Aah, thank you so much! Now it works.
I had no idea that the map didn`t follow the player in the original Doom. Even the oldest version of Boom had this feature.

Grazza said:

Do you mean it behaves like the original game, and not the way it does by default in Zdoom?

Lolwut? No follow mode in vanilla Doom? Did we play the same game?

Actually, I could be wrong on what the default behaviour was - can't readily check right now. Anyway, I'm glad that solved the problem.

Grazza said:

Actually, I could be wrong on what the default behaviour was - can't readily check right now. Anyway, I'm glad that solved the problem.

The vanilla automap defaults to follow mode. You have to press F to enter free scrolling.

I wonder why they changed this, if it isn't due to a coding error. Boom and MBF, which PrBoom basically "ports" along with Doom, use vanilla behavior here...

I think I would have noticed (and complained) if I used PrBoom for playing more often, although I use it mostly in multiplayer, where I don't tend to pay as much attention to such details.

As Quasar said, vanilla uses follow mode by default.

Which makes idfa and idkfa a pain in the ass to use in the automap