Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demon101

Post your map plans,drafts or drawings here.

This is a part of a map i drew.

Post your map plans,drafts or drawings here.

Oh and my pet axolotl now made it since last monday. (in the tank.)

Okay, I'll play along, I have hundreds of drawings, here's a small sampling from DoomBeyond:

These were done between 97-98

:)

Abyssalstudios1 said:

This gives me a chainmapping idea. One person sketches and another person creates the actual map.

I like that idea, I've done it in the past and the results were pretty good. Nice drawings btw.

I've gotten so fast at drawing sectors in doombuilder2, that I construct my layouts using Doombuilder alone. the detailing process comes after the initial map is done.

40oz said:

I've gotten so fast at drawing sectors in doombuilder2, that I construct my layouts using Doombuilder alone. the detailing process comes after the initial map is done.

I also stopped drawing layouts long ago, since I have a giant backlog of them anyway. It's still nice to unroll a drawing and know exactly what it will look like in game though. Most of my drawings were made during a time I had no computer, so to feed my mapping obsession I made a shitload of them.

Ugh, I can't draw a layout on paper because I don't know that any of it's going to be any good until I play it.

Also, I can't draw a layout in Doombuilder because I need some vague idea of the layout of the map before I can start putting sectors down.

Life is hard.

EDIT:

This is what my "drafts" tend to look like. Here we have six double-sided pages of my furious chicken scratch on the subject of the general ideas and progression of a Doom opus. Unfortunately, the only easy way I have to get something out of my head is to turn it into words, so what you see in the picture is probably this project's final state.

Pretty much the same for me. When I use to make lots of DM maps, I'd draw out really simple layouts on paper first and then convert them to lines. But then I eventually reached a point where it was just faster for me to actually build the layout in DB, so now I only sketch out layouts when I'm bored and not around a computer (which is almost never). I don't think I have the patience to sit down and sketch out an entire SP map unless it was a relatively small one. Although I was thinking about sketching some out for some of Supplice's smaller maps (since it'll be a while before I start mapping).

I've got a pile of layouts around here somewhere. If I can think about it, I'll post them up.

40oz said:

"The new episode of DoomWorld- 40oz/Johnny in Needs Moar Detail"

I'm pretty much the same, but I like to put the nit-picky details that are important to the map, not construct the fun detail to make the area look pretty (that comes last).

I've actually only drawn one map of mind ahead of time, 4maps.wad MAP04. It turned out really well and I was going to keep doing it, but then I just couldn't draw any good layouts. This is in part because I'll have bursts of creativity that last about 6 hours and then draw a blank for however much time follows. I've looked at some of the layouts I drew after the fact and thought, "Dude... I have no idea how to execute this." It just doesn't work for me.

Instead, I try to imagine different gameplay scenarios in my head, and then improvise a layout that fits that mold. So far I think the technique has served me pretty well.

I tried to sketch a map out once, but it turned out very different, and rathere bland when thrown into DB2. Made a good jokewad with the voice acting I supplied though using DComic quotes :P

Only layout I have scanned atm, I think. SL map 29 ... or what it was supposed to be. Got the scaling wrong, heh.
http://i48.tinypic.com/kag0f6.jpg
I'll scan my layout for the map I'm working on, should be interesting compared to what I have so far.

So, when doing layouts they happen at very weird or annoying times. Like during a class, when I'm about half asleep, I'll start having random ideas that I sketch in the margins of my notes, or at 2 in the morning I'll come up with some glorious design that I have little hope of actually completing exactly as I imagined it. The map I'm currently working on is surprisingly close given that. It's taken at least 70 hours spread over 1-2 months, and is now at 29k linedefs and 2300 monsters. I'm going slightly crazy over anticipating it finally being done >.<

I use to have old sketches of layouts for an ep1 replacement that I wanted to make way before I touch an editor back when all I had was the shareware back in 2000/2001 with no internet. *sign* too bad I lost them :(

Creaphis said:

EDIT:

This is what my "drafts" tend to look like. Here we have six double-sided pages of my furious chicken scratch on the subject of the general ideas and progression of a Doom opus. Unfortunately, the only easy way I have to get something out of my head is to turn it into words, so what you see in the picture is probably this project's final state.

Creaphis you have lovely penmanship, I would like to get back to this quality. I've gotten into a habit of writing too fast so everything ends up half cursive half shorthand.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

This gives me a chainmapping idea. One person sketches and another person creates the actual map.

Hmm...I would be in for this if I didn't lose the sketches and blueprints made for a megawad that I never got into doing since I'm so lazy at learning DB and such...woe is I.

Then again, there's always photographic memory...

*sniff*... its beautiful.
I put my probably-slower-than-yours 13:52 max demo in the misc demo forum.

TimeOfDeath said:

lols ggg

Ok, here's yourmom.wad

Edit: found a coop bug, re-uploaded

I stopped playing after I saw the first Archvile. The Archviles appearing in massive groups just kinda sucked the fun out of the wad. But then again, its a joke wad so who cares.

I used to draw layouts on paper some 12 or 13 years ago. But I stopped since I found my maps which were made from these drawings weren't as good as the ones I made by simply using the editor.

There's been the occasional concept art for an area though.

I'm glad you approve, ggg. :D
Cool demo. I like how you stand right in front of the black platforms while they lower and uppercut each cyber with a bfg ball, I never thought of that. I used your route for a demo in the misc demos section too.

bgraybr - PROTIP: Killing hordes of archviles can be fun if you don't die. ;)

I've taken up using my high school level drafting skills to assist in designing my maps especially if the map is going to be in a base or other building. These were originally going to be for my eyes only, so a lot of mistakes, that would make my drafting instructor curse his own existence, were overlooked.

This was one of the ideas I had for an obstacle, consisting of a set of undulating pistons that the player must navigate through without getting crushed. I might not use this in any of my maps too soon as I'm still trying to come up with a place that it might fit into. But, I decided to draw it out just in case.

This is the first room that is supposed to take place in a the basement of an old Mansion. All I have at the moment is the first room in the basement. There will most likely be more later on.