Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hervoheebo

Favorite/least favorite skies

This might seem like a strange question, but what kind of skies do you like in Doom? Mine would be the follows:

Most favorite: E4 sky, the only thing I like in TFC. Some hell skies are cool too, the "fire and tortured souls" ones.

Least favorite: The "fleshy" hell sky in plutonia/evilution (maybe both? can't remember), it looks unfitting in my opinion. But the most horrible of them all has to be the first Doom 2 sky. Doom 2 gets flak already for most of its textures being brown and gray, but come on. When is the last time you can recall the sky being brown?

I actually prefer the beginning Doom 2 sky over the Doom 1 sky. I hated those mountains. They just really looked awful in my mind compared to the rest of the first episode. Other wise, the burning City from Doom 2 I always thought was kinda kewl. I just wish he flames were animated, kinda like the how the hell sky in PSX Doom was.

hervoheebo said:

But the most horrible of them all has to be the first Doom 2 sky. Doom 2 gets flak already for most of its textures being brown and gray, but come on. When is the last time you can recall the sky being brown?

I like to think of the sky being made up of clouds of dust from man-made structures being destroyed as a result of the demonic invasion. But even if that doesn't make sense, you try and find a sky that fits better in this screenshot. Seriously. I've tried a bunch of different skies. I'm stumped.

I've always been partial to Doom's episode 3 hell sky.

hervoheebo said:

Then you haven't tried an orange sky. Because orange skies fit everywhere.

But brown goes so well with brown!

Off the top of my head, the Suspended in Dusk sky is one of my favorites.

As far as the IWAD skies go, I think I'm also a fan of the Ep3 hell sky. I don't dislike any of the IWAD skies per say, but my least favorite is probably the burning cityscape sky in Doom 2.

hervoheebo said:

Then you haven't tried an orange sky. Because orange skies fit everywhere.

I used the orange sky from MAP01 of UAC Ultra 1 and I didn't like it.

[/visualconfirmation]

my faves would be e1 and e2.

I guess after that it would be city sky from doom 2.

Woulda been nice if episode 1 doom2 sky had some color in it.

I really like stormy-cloud skies -- they don't pop up very often. The best-known one is the episode 1 sky from Heretic -- very nice. Another variant I like is the greyed out version of SKY4 from 1KILLTNG. I think that stormy skies rock because, at the same time:

1) storms are cool
2) storms aren't a good idea to remain outside.

Then of course, I also like original SKY4, and the mysterious SKY2 is also awesome (not to mention that several oldschool episode 2 replacements of good quality use it -- darkhell, cleimos, sudtic, even newer class_ep). SKY2 rips also don't appear very often.

Hell Revealed has a very nice episode 2 sky. It looks like you're in space somewhere near a nebula.

Skies that I didn't like or found silly:
1) The Doom Inferno sky. It's all monochrome red, and those mountains look like croissants. Instant lulz.
2) The Doom 2 smoking skyline. Tacky, because it's too realistic compared to the game scenery, and doesn't animate, looking like a photo. There are in fact skyline photos on the 'Net (too bad they're copyrighted, for some irritating reason) that look LOADS better (the nightly brown colors make them appropriately red in Doom). But then again, Doom 2 is more about city destruction, than mere decadence, so they may still have to be in ruins...
4) The three Hell Revealed 2 skies suck. The first is a SKY4 wannabe, the second a RSKY1 wannabe, the third a TNT sky 3 wannabe.
5) I think there are too many starry skies in maps that aren't darkened enough to justify the night scape. Also, what about cloudy nights (i.e. nearly black skies with dark grey patches)?
6) Similarly, red skies when used in non-red maps. Tacky, I'd say.

I like them all, at least in the original games. Doom2 cityscape sky is one of my favs, and of course knee deep in the dead and the evil orange sky from episode 4.

The Evilution skies however are butt-ugly.

From the IWADs: UD Episode 3 and 4. Inferno's sky just gives me the impression that I'm in a bloody, scorching-hot zone. It's just hellish looking, to me. Ep 4's orange sky is just plain awesome.

I also am oddly fond of Plutonia's SKY1... Can't really say why. It just works with a lot of textures. TNT had a decent Ep 3 sky, too.

From the PWADS: HR episode 2 is still my favorite sky. Very "other worldly." SID has a great sky, and Red Tek had an awesome sky.

Least favorites? Doom 2 Ep 3. Or maybe that's just because I rarely saw it because almost every level is underground. Never particularly cared for TNT's Ep 1 sky. I can't think of any PWAD skies I don't really like off the top of my head.

My favourites, I just picked the nicest one from each Iwad.

Doom: E1
DoomII: E3
Plutonia:E1
TNT:E3

The most buttugly sky is the one from TNT E1.

The sky from Knee Deep in the Dead has been and will always be my favorite. Every time I see the sky for that episode I think of great memories killing zombiemen as a child.

I think the brown cloud sky from Doom 2 is my least favorite/ugliest.

Favorites: Doom ep2 sky and 3rd Plutonia sky
Least Favorite: Doom 2's first sky(it never look appealing to me)

Sky May Be.

Since the forum seems to be running out of things to post, here is an idea for the title of the next great thread: "I always wanted to start a thread, and this is the best I could come up with".

SKY1 and RSKY1 for IWADs and the UAC_DEAD starsky or from that Doom2 map that had UAC changun bots as a monster replacement.

Favorites are the ones from Ultimate Doom. Each one of them is very cool-looking, even if they don't totally fit the given environment.

Least favorite is by far sky3 of Plutonia. Kind of unnerving, and really doesn't fit the atmosphere of the later levels. Apparently it's supposed to be taking place inside of an evil hive, but it certainly doesn't look it.

The Doom II cityscape is the most fake-looking of all.

The episode 4 sky is the most striking, but my favorite may be that blue mountain one from the alpha.

Gez said:

but my favorite may be that blue mountain one from the alpha.

I like the mountain skies from the alpha. Somehow, they look realistic as space rock mountains.

Gez said:

The Doom II cityscape is the most fake-looking of all.

The episode 4 sky is the most striking, but my favorite may be that blue mountain one from the alpha.

Hmm? I don't think I've seen that (probably have in PWADs but still)

Never_Again said:

Sky May Be.

Since the forum seems to be running out of things to post, here is an idea for the title of the next great thread: "I always wanted to start a thread, and this is the best I could come up with".

Yeah... Unfortunately my best threads came of my first few months being here. Here's to good memories:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/45275-is-uac-bad/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/46890-experimental-texture-themes/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/47196-weird-discovery/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/46615-if-doom-2-were-a-pwad-how-would-you-review-it/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/45032-what-are-barrels-made-of/

The E4 sky is awesome, but I dislike all the Doom 2 skies.

And I must admit I'm partial to the HR2 sky.

Ones that I like are:
- All of Ultimate Doom's skies
- Doom II's E1 and E3 skies
- All of MM1's skies
- All of Doom 64's skies

but my two favourites would have to be:
- PSX Doom's animated fire sky
- UAC Ultra's red techwall sky (inspired!)

Ones that I'm not so keen on:
- Doom II's burning cityscape (animation could have saved it easily)
- All of Final Doom's skies (bar TNT's space one). They're all a bit bland IMO.

Favorite: Doom 1 SKY3. The mountains look like croissants. Who cares? I still feel desperate and helpless looking at it.

As for Doom 2 SKY2: we cool. I never saw them as burning anyway, I just thought the sun was shining through the buildings and that there was just a lot of smog in the air. And honestly I think animated burning would have been a bit distracting.

I don't like any hell sky texture that tries to be meaty or fleshy. Makes it look like a ceiling texture rather than a sky.

scalliano said:

- All of Final Doom's skies (bar TNT's space one). They're all a bit bland IMO.

I find the TNT red sky to be quite epic though, especially in maps that use it well (Alien Vendetta).

I love the overcast sky used in the first episode of Heretic. I've always liked stormy/foggy days and find clear blue skies to be a bit on the annoying side. Wish I lived in a Gothic thriller fantasy world! :P

From the IWADs, you definitely can't go wrong with Doom E1 and Plutonia E1. I didn't care much for any of Doom 2's skies, but I liked the final sky in Evilution.