Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

DTWID: Project is done, check the release thread

Depends how big/hard/complex it is compared to what others have offered. Just a rough guess should be fine for now.

@Hellbent: There should be mapslots eh? So you don't get 12 people mapping for E1. Also, I have started an E1 map.

RDMonkey said:

The one im making is for Episode 1. What mission should it be?

Whichever mission you like. The idea was that the level wouldn't replace a map slot, but rather, be able to fit somewhere in the episode, either an early map or a late map. But, yeah, it makes the whole business of map slots a bit of a conundrum. I would say map with a general notion of whether you are thinking in terms of an early map or a later map; don't worry too much about what map slot it will actually be. Personally I'm just curious what people come up with. If everyone aimed to remake e1m1, that would be interesting in itself. So I say map with whatever level you want to have in mind.

I actually changed my mind, its for episode 2 :3

But anyway, My map's draft is done, ill host it on mediafire and ill PM you the link. If there is ANY problems, i tell me and i will fix them (afterall it is a draft)

RDMonkey said:

I actually changed my mind, its for episode 2 :3

But anyway, My map's draft is done, ill host it on mediafire and ill PM you the link. If there is ANY problems, i tell me and i will fix them (afterall it is a draft)

No real problems. Just seems unfinished. (only 10 monsters?) I liked the basic layout. Needs a little more detail--your rooms were pretty bland-- and too many of the rooms are boxy (see this post). An idea to make the nukage area dangerous without being annoying is to

Spoiler

lower the walkway so its 24 higher than the nukage and have some of the walkway sink as you walk over it (but not the whole thing) so that you have to brave some of the slime when you go back.

PS I sent you a PM.

I'd love to commit to this project Hellbent.

Currently I'm working on a map in the style of episode 2 (designed to be placed in one of the middle / later stage map slots), and it's been under construction almost since the start of this project's being mentioned. I'll be happy to forward the material as soon ad i've filled out more of the basic framework, as per your request!

Hellbent said:

That would be great! thanks :D

Edit: if people could say what episode they are mapping for and how many maps for that episode along with where in the episode the map could foreseeably go (ie, near the beginning, middle or near the end).

Episode 1. It's a pretty small level and only uses one key, so I'd place it around E1M2. I have a concept for another E1 map, akin to E1M7 in size, so I might work on that after finishing this one up.

Sounds great, guys!

EDIT: If anyone wants me to send them the Doom1.wad, it seems like it might be a good idea to edit using it if you are doing an E1 map.

Very cool project idea :).

Something that could be interesting to see, would be non-E1/E2 maps done in this kind of style - an Episode 4 or Doom 2 map01 theme, for example, or even something with custom textures (some of Jan Van Der Veken's Darkening maps came close to this).

I've always preferred the oldschool map design over the new, cramped, overly detailed maps we tend to see today, so it just so happens I had actually created my own E1M1 and E1M2 replacement maps that borrowed heavily from Episode 1 by using similar textures and techniques found in Romero's E1 maps. My E1M1 and E1M2 maps are quite small and not terribly difficult to finish, but I purposely designed them that way just like the original maps.

I created both of these maps before I knew anything about this project, so here are some screenshots of how I usually go about creating maps the oldschool way:

E1M1

E1M2

HERE is a gameplay video of my E1M2 map, which shows the entire level with the exception of secret areas and includes download links so that you can try it for yourself. Every time I make a new map, I learn things coming from the last one, so I feel the E1M2-set map is definitely an improvement over E1M1. They're both fun to blast through, though.

I already know of some things I can improve upon:
- More texture changes (less plain brown areas)
- Better lighting adjustments
- More see-into-another-room designs (my areas tend to be separate from one another, with few if any ways to see into other areas)

Let me know what you think, guys, and I'm open for any suggestions!

chubz said:

Map.

Looks like good so far, but needs some work, I noticed a lot of 90 degree corners, hallways, and symmetrical areas. More outdoor areas and windows would help immensely.

---

I think that anyone doing this project should also note the amount and types of monsters- on I'm to young to die the first level only had 4-5 enemies, almost all former humans. There are sergeants, but they don't appear very often for the first few levels. Imps are also somewhat uncommon until the third level or so and I don't think that you see a demon until the fourth level (correct me if I'm wrong).

bgraybr said:Looks like good so far, but needs some work, I noticed a lot of 90 degree corners, hallways, and symmetrical areas. More outdoor areas and windows would help immensely.

I appreciate the feedback! I noticed the 90 degree corners, too, and I hate having to do them. I usually only like doing them in classic-style mazes, so I'm going to try and avoid them in the future if possible. I'm also going to focus more on outdoor areas and windows that see through into other rooms and allow you to see outside.

I'm not sure if I'll actually end up contributing to this or not but I figured I'd have a whack at it.

I only spent about fifteen minutes on this so it's probably not the best.

<snipped as of 11-11-11 due to being horrifyingly bad>

bgraybr said:
Looks like good so far, but needs some work, I noticed a lot of 90 degree corners, hallways, and symmetrical areas. More outdoor areas and windows would help immensely.

After taking these comments to heart, I've decided to make some changes to my map. Some are drastic, whereas others such as rounding out square corners, are simply there to enhance the appearance and make navigation a little smoother. Here are some pictures of the results of the changes I've made:

Map overview (fewer sharp, 90 degree corners):

New outside area and windows seeing into it:

I'm still doing a bit of work on the outside area, but the map now feels larger and better than before since I've added the area. Rather than feeling like a closed-in series of corridors, it now feels as if you're actually inside a base that has an explorable outside area. The windows definitely help, too, because they support that notion.

Thank you once more for your advice, bgraybr. I think because of you, my map has changed for the better! Hope you guys agree!

-Chubz

looks good chubz! School just started so I won't be as active on the forums for awhile, but I'll check here often to see how things are going.

Screenie looks pretty good Marnetmar. For what episode is that? To me it looks 60% E1 and 40% E3 :p I would definitely say keep going with it.

Hellbent said:

To me it looks 60% E1 and 40% E3 :p I would definitely say keep going with it.

More like 10% E1 and 90% E3, you mean. :p

just checking in see how the mapping is going. Anyone have suggestions or requests for when a deadline should be set for rough drafts of the maps?

Nuxius said:

More like 10% E1 and 90% E3, you mean. :p

yeah, I suppose you're right!

I actually haven't touched my map since my last post here. I suppose I could finish it up some time though. I think it would probably suit best as an E1M2 or M3.

edit: I was thinking of doing a december 1 for rough drafts of maps. Seems like maybe I should or this thing will never get finished.

This looks like an interesting project, always prefered classic mapping over everything else. :p

Dragonsbrethren said:

Nice timing with the bump, I just started working on my map again.

kewl, glad to hear it. :) Hopefully others are working as well.

I was thinking November 15th as a possible deadline date to show that you have done significant work on your map. (doesn't have to be done by that date). Any objections to this?

Hellbent said:

I was thinking November 15th as a possible deadline date to show that you have done significant work on your map.

"And just to show you we're serious: You have 24 hours."

Yes, this sounds good. Being given too much time might allow mappers to get slightly nitpicky with their maps, and as we know, many of id's maps were constructed in a relatively short span of time.

"23 hours and 59 minutes, Lesley. Don't make me stand here and count."

Hellbent said:

I was thinking November 15th as a possible deadline date to show that you have done significant work on your map. (doesn't have to be done by that date). Any objections to this?

Sounds like more than enough time to me.

classic! I like that you added light posts... an all too often forgotten detail that littered original e1 maps

Is it too late to start making maps for this project? I have an E2 map which I made recently which might be suitable for this project.

Foodles said:

Is it too late to start making maps for this project? I have an E2 map which I made recently which might be suitable for this project.

Same question here, for what engine is intended this project? Zdoom or chocolate doom? Thanks...