Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

DTWID: Project is done, check the release thread

Marnetmar said:

As hell freezes (burns?) over...

Looks nothing like an id Doom map to me. There's too many in-set panels, too many different textures in one room. I think the closest map to that would be found in Doom II. The SLAD and SUPPORT2 structure to the left seems very unlikely for Doom as well, but I could forgive that if there wasn't a river of blood, in-set skin panels, computer monitors, lights and about 3 different themes all in the same area.

I see where you are coming from with the combined themes in one map ala E3M3, but E3M3 had a lot of different rooms that were all visually different from each other, a wood area, a lava area, a skin area, a cement area, in one single screenshot you focused several differently themed areas in a single room.

40oz said:

I see where you are coming from with the combined themes in one map ala E3M3, but E3M3 had a lot of different rooms that were all visually different from each other, a wood area, a lava area, a skin area, a cement area, in one single screenshot you focused several differently themed areas in a single room.

I don't get what's wrong with that, that seems to be his style atm but it always looks aesthetically pleasing, and never boring, unimaginitive, unoriginal and undaring. ID's maps varied alot in their level of 'detail' and their style,

This projects getting way too close to virtually remaking each level slightly differently, but with the same textures and motif.

The fact people are actually saying; "I'm gonna make an E2M* *posts screenshot*, other people: "Oh no THAT texture wasn't in E2M5!"

This is not what it's abour, it's about maps that could've been made and left out, which means, THEY CAN BE ORIGINAL!

They just have to be as if they were made by either Sandy, John or Tom, as if they were made with the equiptment they had,
as if they were made to fit into the rough Doom story,
as if they were left out for some reason, maybe they were too long or too hard for that era.

Seacrest out

phobosdeimos1 said:

I don't get what's wrong with that, that seems to be his style atm but it always looks aesthetically pleasing, and never boring, unimaginitive, unoriginal and undaring. ID's maps varied alot in their level of 'detail' and their style,

This projects getting way too close to virtually remaking each level slightly differently, but with the same textures and motif.

The fact people are actually saying; "I'm gonna make an E2M* *posts screenshot*, other people: "Oh no THAT texture wasn't in E2M5!"

This is not what it's abour, it's about maps that could've been made and left out, which means, THEY CAN BE ORIGINAL!

They just have to be as if they were made by either Sandy, John or Tom, as if they were made with the equiptment they had,
as if they were made to fit into the rough Doom story,
as if they were left out for some reason, maybe they were too long or too hard for that era.

Seacrest out

Fantastic complaint, and one that I've been tempted to make myself but I honestly think it doesn't apply to Marnetmar's map. It still looks too complicated to me with all the various panels and wall decorations which mash together a number of themes.

Since I don't want to read through 80+ pages worth of thread, I might as well just ask now. How are we choosing which maps are going into the actual wad? If it's already been answered elsewhere, please link me to the reply.

Also, I completely agree with phobosdeimos1!

Basically Xaser and Hellbent are filtering through all of the submitted maps to put together an alpha build now, I think.

Well guys in the past hour I managed to come up with another E1M8 design. This one does not go nearly as over-the-top as the other two (the one with the E3 textures and the one with the insta-drop floor) did. Plus with those other two I was putting my own ideas above the rules of the project, and for that I apologize to everyone.

I took a couple inspirations from the alpha version of the level, but hopefully this isn't too similar to the one that's in the game.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ezkhfi1asw30m8n

Hope you guys like it! I think I'll just call this one 'Anomaly' for now.

Also Taedum I'm going to download your level right now, expect feedback soon.

Edit:

I like it! I thought that having lifts act as ammo platforms was pushing it a bit though, if I were you I'd lower them to the height of the main floor (Also one of them didn't work). I thought that having the cyberdemon be right in front of you at the start and then teleporting was pushing it a bit as well.

Other than that I think it's great! I give it a 4/5.

One didn't work, huh? I thought for sure I checked them all, I'll look it over and post a new link. Thank you for the feedback.

----
Okay, here is the new link. All of the columns work now. I had made it so the columns lower to a safer position, but I decided to change it back. I like having the pillars in a dangerous position so people could slip off into the blood while grabbing the ammo. It's almost like its building the atmosphere for the monstrosities ahead.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nuuctcpgyj4qjfg

Marnetmar, I played your E1M8 and I enjoyed it. I like what you did with the window-closing transition at the starting area. However, the arena where you fight the barons looks a little too bland. I like the texture combination, the clashing red and blue. But the shape of it is too boxy, it's like a plus sign. Give it some more character. Aside from that, I really like it.

Glad to hear, thanks!

I agree with you on detailing, I was being cautious so I didn't overdetail, but I think I took it a step too far. Also the arena is supposed to be an inverted cross.

Marnetmar said:

Glad to hear, thanks!

I agree with you on detailing, I was being cautious so I didn't overdetail, but I think I took it a step too far. Also the arena is supposed to be an inverted cross.

Yeah, I figured out the idea behind the cross already, but it took me a second time around in order to realize it was intentional. See what I'm saying? At first glance, one could just assume that the boxy arena was just poor design, and it clashed with the rest of the map layout which was very well executed. You probably really don't need to change the layout of the arena, but maybe add some small ledges that extend from the vertices of the cross arms to the body, and place the blue torches there?

And as far as texture detail goes, I think you found a really good balance.

Can't wait to see the compiled WAD and the list of maps used for it. And for the maps that don't make it, what about making a megawad out of it and with a different name?

oooh,I never tested it with vanilla Doom, only PrBoom. Yeah, I see the HOM. I'd really hate to edit anything out. I'll see what I can do to make it vanilla compatible.
-----------
Okay.
After some pretty heartbreaking (on my part) cutbacks, I made my E2M8 submission fit into Vanilla limits.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9et7cwpcdfe7g1j

_bruce_ said:

Taedium - tutti on part of shaded stairs in E2M8.
Because LowerUnpegged : ON.

Ugh.

Fixed. Use same link.

Certainly looks the part. After playing your Spire Complex I reckon you can do great things in the limitations of this project.

Phobus said:

Certainly looks the part. After playing your Spire Complex I reckon you can do great things in the limitations of this project.

Thanks man that's really nice of you to say, I really appreciate that.

Btw I have been reading your reviews and thry really put a smile on my face, also I've only just discovered the /newstuff chronicles, as I hadn't looked at the Doomworld news before.

I'm gonna go find everything you've ever submitted and play through it as I'm really excited to see what you've done after reading what you said about my maps!

I agree. Checkmate looks very promising. At least, better than what I farted out this time...

http://matt534dog.webs.com/matt534dogE1M7.wad

The name is "Strategical Planning". The map goes between E1M5 and E1M7. I consider this to be my best map. Your opinion may vary. This is also probably the last map I'm doing for this project, so consider this my last hurrah! At least, for now...

Please, don't hesitate to give me feedback! I'm getting a bit tired of getting no feedback on any of my maps! Also, please give me feedback on my E3M1 I posted a few pages back:

http://matt534dog.webs.com/matt534dogE3v2.wad

Matt534Dog said:

I agree. Checkmate looks very promising. At least, better than what I farted out this time...

http://matt534dog.webs.com/matt534dogE1M7.wad

The name is "Strategical Planning". The map goes between E1M5 and E1M7. I consider this to be my best map. Your opinion may vary. This is also probably the last map I'm doing for this project, so consider this my last hurrah! At least, for now...

Please, don't hesitate to give me feedback! I'm getting a bit tired of getting no feedback on any of my maps! Also, please give me feedback on my E3M1 I posted a few pages back:

http://matt534dog.webs.com/matt534dogE3v2.wad

I like both maps.

E1M7 - cool beginning and surprising. Too easy - too much health, maybe also too much ammo. Feels short for a pre-ejaculate to M8.

E3M1 - dandy to play through. Too little ammo and floor of the room where the exit teleporter is, is different from the one under the enclosing door.

E3M1 > E1M7.

@phobosdeimos1: It's okay. I think your maps definitely look better than mine! Like I said, Checkmate looks fantastic!

@_bruce_: That was a bit surprising. I didn't really expect anyone to enjoy my E3M1 over my E1M7. As far as difficulty goes, my E1M7 could easily be an M6, or even an M5. But, as far as updates go it seems the only thing I can do is remove most of the medikits.

Matt534Dog: I played through your E1M7 and i thought it was pretty good, i like how you've connected areas, it's a bit cramped IMO so next time make the level in the same way just in a larger scale.

also I liked the secrets and thought the chaingun one was awesome,

thing is, there was an error when i was playing and i got stuck, as i'd walked over the W1 Door Close Stay linedef and accidentally walked back, therefore not being able to open that door again as the switch was only good for one use

phobosdeimos1 said:

Matt534Dog: I played through your E1M7 and i thought it was pretty good, i like how you've connected areas, it's a bit cramped IMO so next time make the level in the same way just in a larger scale.

also I liked the secrets and thought the chaingun one was awesome,

thing is, there was an error when i was playing and i got stuck, as i'd walked over the W1 Door Close Stay linedef and accidentally walked back, therefore not being able to open that door again as the switch was only good for one use

Thank you for your kind words! I fixed the door glitch, and made the map a bit roomier. I also removed a lot of health, as suggested by _bruce_. I might wait for anyone else to post their opinion before uploading an updated version.