Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

DTWID: Project is done, check the release thread

engineer said:

This has actually inspired me to try my had at an id-Style E2 map.

Don't know if it'll be done in time to contribute it, though.

Oh, we're not in any rush. ;) Post some screenies once you have something to show.

Hellbent said:

Thanks Pcorf! Any specific criticisms you can offer? What we did particularly well? Any specific issues we need to address?

Sorry to follow this up so long after you asked about it. What is steam group chat? I think some live chat discussing the project would be a good idea at this juncture. Specifically (or at least as a suggestion) this topic.

Well Steam is a program by the valve corporation used for downloading video games and communicating with other steam users. You can create groups on steam and have group chat discussions. If you want, I will set up a group. The website is here

well, since I'm already familiar with mIRC, i vote for IRC. Plus it's been awhile since I've chatted that way, and it'd be fun to revisit. we can log the convos too which will be handy, although maybe steam chat can do that as well.

IRC would be easier since you don't have to register an account or anything. I don't know much else about IRC chats however.

Hellbent said:

Oh, we're not in any rush. ;) Post some screenies once you have something to show.

The biggest problem is that my mind managed to puke up a bizarre copy of E2M4's start for the first 2 rooms, sans teleporter. Doesn't really resemble it after that, though.

engineer said:

The biggest problem is that my mind managed to puke up a bizarre copy of E2M4's start for the first 2 rooms, sans teleporter. Doesn't really resemble it after that, though.

Why don't you post some screenshots so you can get some input?

Well, it's still Thursday in some parts of the world, so this seems like a good time, with the weekend coming up, to post times you are available to chat on IRC if you are interested in discussing all things dtwid related.

I am very flexible for the next few days so I will try to work around other peoples' schedules.

Marnetmar said:

Why don't you post some screenshots so you can get some input?

Shield your eyes. Also, pics taken in Sjulltag. It runs just fine (and is being tested) in Chocolate Doom

not bad engineer. One criticism I can offer is that all pics show only one room and are all fairly orthogonal. Now, being square isn't a bad thing necessarily, e2m2 has lots of orthogonal rooms, but they all connect in ways that the level doesn't feel very orthogonal. the sum is greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe show areas connecting to each other.

A specific criticism might be in your first shot the hall seems rather wide...

Marnetmar said:

I'll try my hand at an E2M1 since Xaser seems to be drawing his map from the project.

Heh, I thought this will be a chance for my "Demonic Halls" to enter. Let's see if Hellbent agrees.

Hellbent said:

not bad engineer. One criticism I can offer is that all pics show only one room and are all fairly orthogonal. Now, being square isn't a bad thing necessarily, e2m2 has lots of orthogonal rooms, but they all connect in ways that the level doesn't feel very orthogonal. the sum is greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe show areas connecting to each other.

A specific criticism might be in your first shot the hall seems rather wide...

This is supposed to be a fuel dump; presumably, the idea is that large quantities of fuel are moved in and out of this part of the base.

Once you get to the actual fuel dump, the hallways become smaller. I've been playing through the original maps and the DTWiD maps to get ideas. I can shrink the hollways down a bit though.

Hellbent said:

Isn't that an e2m2 map?

Sure it was on the first, but you can put at any other slot. Or if you really stick with E2M2 then you need to change some E2 slots.

(I put it at E2M2 at first because it didn't fit E2M1, not for specific reason.)

engineer said:

This is supposed to be a fuel dump; presumably, the idea is that large quantities of fuel are moved in and out of this part of the base.

Once you get to the actual fuel dump, the hallways become smaller. I've been playing through the original maps and the DTWiD maps to get ideas. I can shrink the hollways down a bit though.

No, that's okay.. look forward to seeing the final product. sounds like you have a decent concept for it going.

Pedro VC said:

This project is still accepting maps?

Yup. It's still ongoing, any map will go to the submission list. And maybe they'll release another pack later by choosing from that list.

just realized that the sudden endings of some songs make the loop out of time. gotta fix that.

what slots in e2 are going to be open?

Hellbent, I added a secret exit to the Logistics Facility map that you played and I'll have time to finish it this weekend. Just wondering if it's worth spending time on it?

Edit: NM, I guess the above posts answer my second question

3 people are racing for the open E2 slot... Marnetmar + Me + M3g4Sph3r3.

Well I finally got through Sheol's Darkening Descent but gave up after repeated tries of Core. Have to say Core is very ingenious. One, it solves the infighting problem of spidey's henchmen, and two it's very hard without being silly or seemingly unfair. It's a bit big overall and maybe overall a bit overwrought. What are others' thoughts on the map? Even if we don't decide it's something id would have done in 1993 the map has great concepts we could rework into a rebuild of the map. EDIT: At any rate, it's a far more satisfying climax to the game than the original level.

I liked Sheol's Darkening Descent's progression and the epic finale... sort of reminded me of Duke Nukem 3D's later levels. Not sure how appropriate the last act of the map is to what the id fellas had conceptualized for the penultimate level, but it is a nice piece of vision. Any thoughts? I feel the dying at the end (even though this trick was used once before) kinda worked.

I put that death ending in as i felt it was the only way to ensure the final battle would be a challenge and not just a, "oh good i can run up and bfg the Spidey once and the level will be over in 20 sec"

Hellbent said:

... Have to say Core is very ingenious. One, it solves the infighting problem of spidey's henchmen, and two it's very hard without being silly or seemingly unfair. It's a bit big overall and maybe overall a bit overwrought. What are others' thoughts on the map? ...

Well i did think it was a bit silly :) But not because of difficulty, although coming there with nine health prompted many a reload (i suppose a pistol start may be beneficial?), rather because it's kinda gimmicky. I liked it though.

Antroid said:

Well i did think it was a bit silly :) But not because of difficulty, although coming there with nine health prompted many a reload (i suppose a pistol start may be beneficial?), rather because it's kinda gimmicky. I liked it though.

What was silly? What was gimmicky?

Hellbent said:

Have to say Core is very ingenious. One, it solves the infighting problem of spidey's henchmen, and two it's very hard without being silly or seemingly unfair. It's a bit big overall and maybe overall a bit overwrought. What are others' thoughts on the map? Even if we don't decide it's something id would have done in 1993 the map has great concepts we could rework into a rebuild of the map. EDIT: At any rate, it's a far more satisfying climax to the game than the original level.

I liked Core. The central battle is much more interesting than Dis, and the map just looks a lot more striking. The red brick crushers are great. Very classic doom. I wouldn't say it's "very hard", but it is certainly a unique challenge.

If I had to nitpick, I would say that seeing the Spiderdemon at that angle is sort of odd. Also, the damaging floor on the lifts is unnecessary.

How do you beat sheol's spiraling descent? I was running back and forth aorund the map for like an hour and a half. I'm pretty sure the yellow key is the next thing I need but I don't know how to get it.

40oz said:

How do you beat sheol's darkening descent? I was running back and forth aorund the map for like an hour and a half. I'm pretty sure the yellow key is the next thing I need but I don't know how to get it.

I don't remember. It's too dark to have any memory of that place. ...and the Mines of Moria gave Gandalf trouble....