Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

PSX Multiplayer?

How in the hell does it work? I've seen where it said that it supports two players, and two console with Link cable. But how does the first work? Or am I totally misunderstanding it? I mean, is thier a splitscreen game mode? Or are the DM/Co-Op options only for link cable gaming, or whatever you call it... (I don't know all the PSX slang. I've lived with PS2 for most my life.)

What? It works by having two playstations, two TVs, and two copies of Doom. One person starts the co-op or DM game, then it waits for the other console. The other machine joins and the game begins. There is no split-screen option.

Played mostly coop with a buddy of mine years ago.
As far as I know you need 2 gamediscs.
Connect consoles via link cable.
Insert game disc in both - power on.
Select COOP or DM on one machine and start. Do so for the other PSX.
That's all I can remember.
Two player split screen was out of question for this hasty port.
Desync was rare, but the game was even slower than SP when playing together.

Use3D said:

What? It works by having two playstations, two TVs, and two copies of Doom. One person starts the co-op or DM game, then it waits for the other console. The other machine joins and the game begins. There is no split-screen option.

OOOOOOOOOOH.... So thats how it works... That's just fucked.

Clonehunter said:

OOOOOOOOOOH.... So thats how it works... That's just fucked.

I wonder how you'd implement it, and how is it any more fucked than the way vanilla's multiplayer worked, on Pee-Cees.

I remember buying this in the store and thinking it was odd that you had to connect two consoles together just to play multiplayer. Needing two consoles and two copies of the game AND a link cable (did the console even come with this?) is pretty ridiculous considering all other multiplayer games I had were split screen.

And none considered weird that Doom didn't have split-screen on PCs?

Actually, very few games ever had that (the Lotus driving games were pretty innovative) and most other games that had a 2-player mode were platform arcades or similarly laid out games, or even had a lame-ass "taking turns" mode. For anything "heavy" enough you had to network multiple machines, on ANY platform.

If I remember correctly, split screen was eshewed in PSX Doom because it made the game unplayably slow.

Don't quote me on this though.

Me and my friend used to have to take tv's around each others houses to play Doom. It was madness, but we didn't have a PC back then so it was the greatest thing ever when the weekend finally came and we could play Doom together.

The Sony Playstation [1] couldn't handle Doom in split screen, no way.

There was enough lag in single-player.

As far as having a link cable, 2 copies of the game, 2 Playstations, and 2 TVs. How is that any different than people who used to have PC LAN parties (before wireless)?

Clonehunter said:

Didn't HeXen PSX have a slpitscreen though? Or am I thinking of the N64 port?)

The PSX version of Hexen was only one player while the N64 version had 4 player splitscreen multiplayer coop/deathmatch. Due to this, N64 Hexen was a hell lot better than the PSX version :)

I wish more games supported link cables back then. I don't think they even had one for the N64, but GoldenEye would've been epic if you could link consoles and play multiplayer in full screen. Practically everyone I played it with back then owned a copy, so that wouldn't have even been an issue.