Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raziel Anarki

Feedback request

I've created a new level for doom2, titled "The Hatch".

I's basically a grid 32 map, with some finer details here and there.
The map is rather large but not too hard, it takes about 30-35 mins. to complete on UV for me.

This is my first completed level, and i spent quite a time polishing it.
In theory it runs in any limit-removing port, but i tested it only in GZDoom.

Before i release it to the archives, i'd like to receive some feedback on the gameplay, the map itself, or any bugs that i've missed.
(also if someone could test this in coop that would be greatly appreciated)

the zip file can be downloaded at:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rbfrbn 970Kb
(includes a .txt file, and a version of pkphirsl.wad from Doom NG by Richard Smith Long with a fixed PKCFC0 sprite, and with two new sounds and the custom logo removed, i hope it's okay).

update:
--------
i took you advice and updated the texturing to make areas look more distinctive, also tried to make the later fights harder and more interesting, and changed other bits and pieces around.

any comments still appreciated.

zip: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gt6fgg 979Kb
screens: 1 2 3

Does not start in PrBoom+ 2.5.0.6 (R_Init Textures : 2 errors). I'm not good with lump management so that's all I can say.

Edit : trying it in GZDoom, it initially bored me, but being low on ammo forced me to punch things and that animation makes it fun. Then I got the SSG and the map didn't get harder - fought more or less the same kind and number of enemies before and after, which meant the map got much, much easier past the SSG, especially with a blue armor near it ; I got lost and bored again at ~250/480 kills and quit at that point.

Don't take this as "your map is bad", though ; I'm just not a techbase person.

Annoying to navigate. It's all so similar I get so lost. I hate maps that are on a grid for this reason. But maybe that's just my bad sense of direction. Other than that, I think you are a very good mapper. I would love to see your creative forces at work on a non 45-90-180 map. (See my "Doom the Way id Did" thread.)

You have a lot of talent. Too bad you like grid maps. :(

The anti 45 campaign:

fixed the texture errors in prboom+. looks like i forgot the skies when copying textures from d1gfx2.wad. link updated.

thanks for the comments, guys.

i tried to make it easy to find out where to go next, by placing the blue/yellow bars near switches and the barriers they lower, but yeah that yellow door area is maybe too far on the other side of the base.

Hi there!
Just played through the map. Maybe you've added more ammo, but I never ran out and only punched people as long as I liked^^

The map is fun and I only got lost once (after completing the yellow key area, I had no idea where to go next for a few minutes). I think the gameplay was pretty good, but it got a bit tedious. The overall detail is good, but nothing really stood out to me. It wasn't very memorable, because all locations looked the same. Lots of people lately give maps one "main texture" and they keep adding this to everything. Please stop that and don't make it a trend. It makes maps confusing and boring after a while. If you have small maps that are over in 5 minutes, that's fine. But 30 minutes of running around looking at the same textures is annoying.

For me the map got boring as soon as I opened the red door. I had hoped to see something new and fresh, but I was disappointed when I looked at the same textures and monsters like in every room before. Like Phml said, the map has no progression with the enemies. It felt like getting into the same room with the same enemies over and over.

Please don't take offense in my critique, because overall I think if you improve a little on your style we can see some awesome maps from you in the future :)

Here's another go at it now that it works in PrBoom+ (2 deaths, exit on 3rd try but no 100% kills and only 1 secret out of 7).

Random thoughts :
- showing the "poison" sign to have non-damaging slime seems kind of odd. On my first playthrough I avoided the slime for minutes before going in for stimpaks and noticing that, hey, it doesn't hurt. :)
- some fights seem designed for ZDoom, lack of freelook and infinitely tall monsters making these much harder (at least for me, compared to my GZDoom initial run where I didn't die at all, and I'm worse at GZDoom than PrBoom+).
- odd looking stuff in the sky near the exit in GLBoom+.
- there's lots of different colors and detail everywhere, along with the interconnectivity (which isn't bad in itself) and the consistent texture choices it makes it sometimes hard to spot depth, or even just what's going on.
- one demon was stuck in its spawn point ; while in ZDoom ports monsters can fit just right, in Doom they need a little bit more room than their actual size.

i really liked the theme of the map and all the detail. But you could have separated this level to like... 3 smaller maps. It was to long and therefor got boring halfway through.

I liked it. It had a lot of good looking detail, and it was fun to play. I got lost after the first key card but after that I was fine. The difficulty was good, it was difficult without being overwhelming. I beat it in zdoom (without mouselook) on the first try.

Thanks for the replies, and the critique, you made some very good points there. And Phml: thanks for the demo and advice
I'll keep these in mind :)

i took your advice, and worked on it a bit more towards correcting the major flaws in the gameplay.
updated first post with a new download link.