Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SevenYearItch

All shots miss

I'm now onto editting my 4th map, though only released one here, and I ran into an error that I have not seen before, nor know how to fix. At one point, in the beginning of my level, there is a wall that is part of the map, however when shooting my gun, the bullet holes don't hit the wall. In fact, if there is an enemy in between me and the wall, and I try to shoot, the bullets do not hit the enemy, though the gun is blatently pointed at the enemy.

If anybody can tell me how to fix this, please do so.

Flip the linedef and see if it fixes this.

Edit : heh I should read less quickly, ignore this post.

But it's not that the bullets hit some sort of invisible wall, it's like the wall i'm shooting at isn't even there, nor is the enemy if it runs into line of fire. The bulletholes don't appear in midair, they just don't appear at all!

Is your nodebuilder set to be on "fast" compile mode? If so, try doing a standard full compile instead.

Unfortunately I'm still new to all of this even though on my fourth map. How exactly do you go about doing that? Alls I know is for the first 3 maps, I didn't need to change anything in the nodebuilder tab under game configurations.

Basically, under the Nodebuilder tab I did exactly what the turotial told me to, and did not change it at all since I've set it up.

Configuration for saving map: ZenNode - Normal

Configuration for testing: ZenNode - Fast(no reject)

It looks like ZenNode hasn't been updated since 2004. You may want to start by getting something a little more up to date. I know ZDBSP is still alive. DeePBSP might be too, but I don't want to wade through that website to find out.

It would also be useful if you told us what editor your using.

Well, try nodebuilding with BSP or ZDBSP and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, you may have to delete and remake whatever sectors seem to exhibit the problem.

On a side note, did the tutorial tell you to use ZenNode? I'm pretty sure both Doom Builders come packaged with ZDBSP.

I think the problem described in the wiki article "Hitscan attacks hit invisible barriers in large open areas" is due to a problem with the blockmap in vanilla Doom.

The blockmap divides the whole map into blocks and records which lines overlap each block in a list for each block.
Each list of line indexes begins with zero and ends with -1.
One part of the problem is that during a hitscan attack vanilla Doom treats the zero as if it is a line index that belongs to the block and tests it for an intersection with the hitscan line.
Under the right conditions the engine will calculate an intercept with line zero which will result in that ghost line effect.

To determine if this the problem test your map in zdoom and chocolate doom and compare behaviours.
If this is the actual problem with your map the only thing I can suggest you could try is adjusting the size and position of line zero.

Some source ports have fixed this problem others that require demo compatability need this behaviour.

Thanks for all the help. I tried resizing the sectors that had this issue, as well as moving them to different coordinates on the grid, and neither of these worked. I decided to start from scratch, making basically the same layout of what I had, and the problem now ceases to exist. If it happens to come up again, I will definitely look into these solutions, thanks a lot for your help.