Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

TNT map 20 - "tripwire" stuck

After quite some time spent on TNT playthrough in GZDoom, I managed to get to map 20 just now. Something weird always happens. After a few monsters in the beginning followed by cleaning the next bigger room, entering teleporter and again getting back to the bigger room, there is one blue-floor area, which is too high for player to get onto it. Right on the right from there is a staircase which raises up after standing on the trigger. There is supposed to be another trigger on that staircase which lowers the blue-floor part. However it's always stuck, preventing me from getting on the platform ( I do can finish the level, but it's preventing UV-maxing however). Tested this a little more and found out that this happens only while using zDoom based ports, it worked on prboom-plus just fine. Is there any possible explantation for this? Or anything in compatibility options being turned wrong could get this trigger stuck?

tl;dr version - this doesn't want to happen on zDoom without any reason I could think of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVMSE-XjuVE

Also, entirely different question: how do I record a lmp with prboom-plus (I just didn't want to make another thread for this...)

ZDoom doesn't imitate the quirk in the original Doom, that if a sector made to raise or lower to the nearest floor doesn't have a higher or lower adjacent sector respectively, it instead goes in the opposite direction almost instantly.

This trigger on TNT Map20 uses this quirk; the trigger is a raise floor one, but the floor will actually lower due to the above quirk.

Note that Evilution has at least one problem even with Boom.

j4rio said:

Also, entirely different question: how do I record a lmp with prboom-plus (I just didn't want to make another thread for this...)

General info about demo recording

Info about prboom-plus's complevels

-complevel 2 or -complevel 4 are the recommended ones for Final Doom.

-complevel 2 emulates using the original Doom2.exe version 1.9 with tnt.wad or plutonia.wad as a pwad (and doom2.wad as the iwad).

-complevel 4 emulates using the Doom2.exe that came with Final Doom, and tnt.wad or plutonia.wad as an iwad.

Fixed in ZDoom r2490+/GZDoom r866+.

Vermil said:

ZDoom doesn't imitate the quirk in the original Doom, that if a sector made to raise or lower to the nearest floor doesn't have a higher or lower adjacent sector respectively, it instead goes in the opposite direction almost instantly.

Yes it does. The reason it didn't work here is different; the floor is raised/instalowered to 8 units below the lowest neighboring ceiling; and in ZDoom this subtraction (for Floor_RaiseToLowestCeiling effects only) was accidentally done in the wrong place so it had no effect. In this map, the concerned sector has a floor height of 32 and its neighbor has both floor and ceiling height of 32 as well. So 8 below lowest ceiling is 24, which corresponds to Doomguy's maximum step height. Before the fix, the floor was moved to... 32, that is to say, it effectively didn't move. Now it's moved to 24 and so it works.

Gez said:

Fixed in ZDoom r2490+/GZDoom r866+.

Is there any way I could get my hands on that?
Never heard of such stuff. Found something about it only on WebSVN but somehow can't download anything from there.
Or am I missing something?...