Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

How to change intermission text screens?

Your best bet would be editing the text with a dehacked patch. The easy way to do this is downloading WhackEd2, and then opening your pwad on it. On the program there is a button labeled "strings". There you can edit every text on the game. Once you're done, save the patch and smile, since you've edited those screens.
If you're mapping for zdoom, then you may like to take a look at mapinfo lumps.

Hope this helps you

*very carefully*

The easiest way to edit mapinfo lumps would be this:

1. Open your zdoom.pk3 file with your favourite archiver (winrar, 7zip... i use 7zip, it's free and it works fine)
2. Open the "mapinfo" folder
3. I'll go ahead and assume that you're making a doom2 map, so extract the "doom2.txt" file.
4. Open this file in your favourite text editor (notepad would be your obvious choice, but any will do). This file is a perfect example for mapinfo lumps, since it details every map in doom2, and defines clusters. What are clusters, do you ask? well, they're groups of maps, and once you've reach the final map of the group, an intermission text is displayed (you can learn more about clusters here)
5. Return to your zdoom.pk3 file, and extract the "language.enu" file (it's on the root of the zdoom.pk3 file).
6. Open this file with your trusty text editor.
7. Here you have every text on the doom game (doom 1 and 2), including intermission texts and map names.
8. Once you've done editing doom2.txt and language.enu, save them as "mapinfo.lmp" and "language.lmp" and import them to you pwad with your favourite wad editor (i use xwe).

Have fun editing texts, my friend.

Edit: I've made a very simple map as an example. I hope it helps you understand a little better all those steps.

For the typical mod, about 98% of what's in the LANGUAGE lump will not need to be replaced. So it's a bit wasteful to edit it as it'll contain a lot of stuff that'll just take up space and make it harder to find the strings that are actually changed.

maggot202 said:

*very carefully*

The easiest way to edit mapinfo lumps would be this:

1. Open your zdoom.pk3 file with your favourite archiver (winrar, 7zip... i use 7zip, it's free and it works fine)
2. Open the "mapinfo" folder
3. I'll go ahead and assume that you're making a doom2 map, so extract the "doom2.txt" file.
4. Open this file in your favourite text editor (notepad would be your obvious choice, but any will do). This file is a perfect example for mapinfo lumps, since it details every map in doom2, and defines clusters. What are clusters, do you ask? well, they're groups of maps, and once you've reach the final map of the group, an intermission text is displayed (you can learn more about clusters here)
5. Return to your zdoom.pk3 file, and extract the "language.enu" file (it's on the root of the zdoom.pk3 file).
6. Open this file with your trusty text editor.
7. Here you have every text on the doom game (doom 1 and 2), including intermission texts and map names.
8. Once you've done editing doom2.txt and language.enu, save them as "mapinfo.lmp" and "language.lmp" and import them to you pwad with your favourite wad editor (i use xwe).

Have fun editing texts, my friend.

Edit: I've made a very simple map as an example. I hope it helps you understand a little better all those steps.

Cool, thanks. Do I just import them anywhere in my wad? Or a specific place...?

on the mapinfo lump, you have to add the name of you desired song. For example, to play "running from evil" (map01 music) you'd have to add the following line:

music D_RUNNIN

I've never added custom music to a map, but i understand that if you import "song.mid", for example, to your wad, the line would have to be

music song

maggot202 said:

on the mapinfo lump, you have to add the name of you desired song. For example, to play "running from evil" (map01 music) you'd have to add the following line:

music D_RUNNIN

I've never added custom music to a map, but i understand that if you import "song.mid", for example, to your wad, the line would have to be

music song

I'm trying to use D_STALKS, but it doesn't work.

Oh, my bad. I've taken a look at the "doom2.txt" i was telling you about, and there it said that the correct line is

music = "$MUSIC_STALKS"