Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

Prboom+ in Win 7 64 bit?

DoomHero85 said:

Prboom+ 2.5.0.6/glboom+ runs very slowly on my machine now that I have uprgraded to win 7 64 bit. Is there anything I can do about this?

I am using win 7 64 bit and I have no problems

Ensure you aren't using the default video driver Windows will have installed for you.

I've run prboom-plus on 64-bit Linux with no problems; I haven't tried it on Win7, but the 32-bit binaries from sourceforge work just fine on XP x64. I've also run 32-bit builds of gzdoom and chocolate-doom under both 32 and 64-bit versions of Win7 without issues. As DaniJ said, check your video drivers...

Nice. Windows 7 typically provides drivers upon installation, but most of the time better drivers are available from the hardware manufacturer.

Based on my recent experience with Windows 7, it has a better default driverbase off-the-disk than Windows XP (e.g. AT LAST they had VIA chipset drivers built-in, including SATA. That was a bummer with XP, where they never included them for whatever reason). After all, we're comparing something that comes on a DVD with something that comes on a CD.

In my case that got me as far as having the Ethernet Ethernet adapter and even the Radeon X1650 working off-the-disk, which was enough for it to self-download drivers for the other stuff like the wireless adapter etc. and I was pleased to see driver update actually work (I always considered it broken/nonfunctional in 98/XP).

However some final degree of driver hunting was still needed e.g. for my ViMicron323-based webcam.

Windows XP basically never had drivers out of the box for me unless I was running it on a much older PC.

However, SATA drivers always seemed to be present if I was using at least a service pack 2 cd.

In the case of my current computer, installing Windows 7 will have basically everything functional, however I think you'll find that even if you let windows update take care of your drivers, they still tend to be horribly out of date. Still, it's a nice convenience to at least have everything functional out of a fresh install without doing some crazy slip streamed installation like a friend of mine always did with Windows XP and nLite.

Mike.Reiner said:

However, SATA drivers always seemed to be present if I was using at least a service pack 2 cd .... some crazy slip streamed installation like a friend of mine always did with Windows XP and nLite.

Even with XP SP3, I can confirm that the following chipsets (and related SATA drivers, especially AHCI ones) are NOT included:

• Any VIA chipset and SATA RAID controllers, including add-on PCI cards (I think there were some company politics behind this). Even with shit-old chipsets such as Apollo KT133 etc. you have to downlod them from VIA, and keep a floppy handy if installing XP on a SATA disk.
  • Intel chipsets after ICH6 (I had to slipstream ICH7, ICH8 and ICH9 SATA drivers, at least when in AHCI mode. In mobos where I could switch to legacy "IDE compatible" mode, I could avoid it, but some laptops/mobos don't really give you a choice).
  • JMicron-based SATA RAID controller, either built-in or as add-on PCI card.
  • ITE 178x IDE and SATA RAID controllers. Yeah, this one needed a driver floppy FOR THE FUCKING IDE too.
  • Some weird IBM UDMA/66 IDE controller on a Pentium II mobo that had 4 IDE controllers: the "good" one needed extra drivers.
There are probably more, but especially the inclusion (at-fucking-last) of VIA drivers was a big step forward.