Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

"Students at Lincoln Memorial Told to Stop Singing National Anthem"

Ugh, morning News shows. I prefer Saturday Night Live for all my world news.

If tose kids really wanted to sing at the Lincoln Memorial, get off the damn thing and sing it nearbye, like off on the grass soemwhere.

Csonicgo said:

Bullshit.

Scuba Steve said:

What? A distortion from Fox News?

Did you read the article?

“It’s not the content of their activity – that being the national anthem – it’s the location,” he said. “A couple steps and it would have been no problem whatsoever.”

I think it's funny - 'distortion from Fox News'. More than half the article is quotes from the security guard.

I heard about the story in work and Fox News happened to be the first thing that came up in Google - this wasn't supposed to be a topic about Fox News...

I think the incident is kind of silly. If the kids knew they couldn't do it literally ON the memorial they should have said 'OK', moved the 20 feet or whatever and continued. But I'm not sure this was made very clear by security guard and kids like being jerks so naturally they sang louder.

Csonicgo said:

What if they sang a nursery rhyme instead? would that make this a non-story?

Personally I'd like to hear about a riot breaking out over students singing "Bingo".

hobomaster22 said:

“It’s not the content of their activity – that being the national anthem – it’s the location,” he said. “A couple steps and it would have been no problem whatsoever.”

I think the incident is kind of silly. If the kids knew they couldn't do it literally ON the memorial they should have said 'OK', moved the 20 feet or whatever and continued. But I'm not sure this was made very clear by security guard and kids like being jerks so naturally they sang louder.

I think Fox news still distorted it a little to make it sound as if the kids were the victims. "I didn't know that there was anything wrong with the national anthem!" By the way, the kids weren't even punished in any way- the security guard just told them they couldn't sing in that area and they continued to do it. Apparently the kids don't understand the concept of "content neutral" and think that everything is okay as long as its patriotic.

Why isn't anything ok on the memorial? WTF kind of problem does the government have? Why should memorials be sacred? Why does our society still have things that are sacred?

Well, on second thought, their policy is probably a good idea, but like all policies it needs flexibility.

I sat down on the steps of Meiji-Jingu in Japan (it's a shrine to the 'first' emperor so is kind of similar) and got slightly told off. It's political correctness gone mad!

I'm gonna go and, er, cough near a copy of the Magna Carta now. That'll teach really old politcal monuments who's boss.

hobomaster22 said:

Did you read the article?

I think it's funny - 'distortion from Fox News'. More than half the article is quotes from the security guard.

The distortion is coming from the Fox and Friends entertainment show where they made it out to be different than what it was even by their own channel's website.

You mean to tell me you can't sing the natural anthem in the Lincoln memorial because you have to be "neutral" in that area? Wow I didn't know there was such a thing O_o