Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Eponasoft

Decorate inquiry: Spectral vs Ghost

These two flags are listed in the DECORATE spec and I'm wondering what the difference is between them... they seem to be the same in function, but are listed apart... so I'm figuring that they're basically the same but function apart. In my TC, I have certain monsters that are only affected by certain attacks, so I figured maybe this was a good way of implementing that. Some monsters are only affected by "black magic" and some only by "white magic"... the rest are affected by all magics. Now... if I'm reading the spec correctly... the enemies only affected by "white magic" I could set as +GHOST, and set my white magic weapon as +GHOST... and then the enemies only affected by "black magic" I could set as +SPECTRAL and set my black magic weapon as +SPECTRAL... is this correct?

SPECTRAL is related to the Strife spectres. GHOST comes from Heretic and does not work in the same way. While a SPECTRAL monster can only be hurt by SPECTRAL weapons and projectiles, a GHOST monster can be hurt by everything, but some projectiles can have the THRUGHOST flag.

For what you want to do, I'd advise you to look at custom damage types instead. It's neater, cleaner, simpler, more flexible, and comes with less weird side-effects.

Okay excellent, this should work very well... should be quite easy to implement. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: It looks like SPECTRAL and GHOST would have worked with some careful DECORATE scripting (all my weapons are projectile-based), but it most certainly will be cleaner to use the custom damage types. Looks like all I really need to use is DamageType and DamageFactor, then set the DamageFactor to 0.0 for type that the monster is immune to.

Gez said:

SPECTRAL is related to the Strife spectres. GHOST comes from Heretic and does not work in the same way. While a SPECTRAL monster can only be hurt by SPECTRAL weapons and projectiles, a GHOST monster can be hurt by everything, but some projectiles can have the THRUGHOST flag.

For what you want to do, I'd advise you to look at custom damage types instead. It's neater, cleaner, simpler, more flexible, and comes with less weird side-effects.

Also, hitscan weapons will pass right through spectral monsters, and I don't think giving a puff the +SPECTRAL flag will do any good there.