Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

Misc. Old Games

For some reason, I though that people here might like old games, so I'm posting a list of all of the games I have, and the ones I'm looking for- so that I can obtain them (legally- obviously we can't discuss torrents or send games to each other).

We can find out if the original creators still sell the game, find it on Ebay for each other, sell our old unwanted copies, etc. Even just making sure that I know that the game ever existed helps me.

So far, I have:

Abuse Shareware
Free Abuse (the entire game has been released as freeware if anyone wants it)
Blood Shareware
Chex Quest
Commander Keen 1-6
Duke Nukem Shareware
Keen Dreams
Cyclones
Dai Katana Pre Release (Quake engine, can't get it to run)
Doom Shareware
The Ultimate Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
Doom 666 Levels (found online, over 1200 levels for Doom 1 and 2)
Heretic Shareware
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Hexen: Death Kings of the Dark Citadel
Ken's Labyrinth
Marathon
Marathon 2
Marathon Infinity
Quake 2
Rise of the Triad Shareware
Shadow Caster
Strife: Quest for the Sigil
Wolfenstein 3D
Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny

Currently seeking:

Blood
Dai Katana
All Doom alphas, betas, and pre releases.
Doom 1 (not the Ultimate Doom)
Doom 2 Shareware
Doom 2 Master Levels
Heretic 1 (not Shadow of the Serpent Riders)
Heretic 2, and any other Heretic games I haven't heard of
Hexen 2
Quake, and all expansion and mission packs
All Quake 2 expansion and mission packs
Rise of the Triad
Redneck Rampage
Chasm: the Rift
Duke Nukem games
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Dark Forces
Descent
2D Wolfenstein games

Edit:
Dangerous Dave
Soldax
Shadow Knights
The Catacomb
Rescue Rover
Rescue Rover 2
Hover Tank 3D
Catacombs 3D

...and any other cool DOS (or otherwise old games) that you think I might want to find.

bgraybr said:
Doom 1 (not the Ultimate Doom)

If you aren't really hot for the game box, you can get it by downgrading a copy of The Ultimate DOOM to v1.1 and the using the official patch to upgrade to v1.9.

And here's a similar downgrade patch for Heretic.

Doom 2 Shareware

Doesn't exist.

bgraybr said:

All Doom alphas, betas, and pre releases.

heres one site that has the Doom Alpha/beta and prerelease for starters.

I know for a fact that you can pick up Daikatana pretty cheap on Amazon. I bought it last year, new and sealed for 4.99. I'm absolutely amazed at what new copies of Chasm are selling for though, I need to try to find my disc.

For an old game, JetPack , is now FreeWare at adeptsoftware.com . I wonder why it became Freeware.
I used to own the official version before Freeware-ization.

One Must Fall 2097 is freeware and should be on your list. That is all.

hervoheebo said:

How old are we talking here? 90's, early 2000, DOS, 3D...?

This-

...and any other cool DOS (or otherwise old games) that you think I might want to find.

myk said:

[Doom 2 Shareware] Doesn't exist.

Maybe he has that infamous Doom95 Demo that circulated with a single MAP01 from Doom 2. I can recall it, but so far it's been impossible to find it :-/

Put Rampart by Atari on that list. It's a very decent conversion from the arcade, although it's impossibly difficult compared to either the arcade or NES version (those I've played).

Also, Wacky Wheels by Apogee, a decent Mario Kart clone. That one is incredibly fun to play with a friend in splitscreen, either in a deathmatch or vs the AI, however the AI is fucking rubberbanding at higher levels.

Maes said:

Maybe he has that infamous Doom95 Demo that circulated with a single MAP01 from Doom 2. I can recall it, but so far it's been impossible to find it :-/

More likely he's heard about a "Doom2 Shareware for Mac". It's one of those persistent urban legends that such a thing existed, but it was really just a way that someone packaged Doom2 warez.

It has raised its ugly head a few times in the forums, with the usual sorry outcome.

Maes said:

Nope, I thought there was an official set of ten levels or something released by I.D.

If you mean the shareware version, sure. It's "ten or so" levels (nine, actually) it's official, and released by id.

goodoldgames.com has Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Descent, and Redneck Rampage. Of course they're download only, which I mention in case you are actually seeking a physical copy.

I can't help but notice the absence of Raptor, Jazz Jackrabbit, and One Must Fall 2097 from your lists!

All those classic shooters and no Blake Stone?

Like Jello said, you can get Daikatana these days, sealed, for under 10 dollars. I got mine on eBay a year or two ago. Dangerous Dave and all those old id games can be found in the id Anthology. The CDs alone are a little pricey, but not as bad as the complete anthology.

The Quake mission packs aren't too hard to find on eBay either. I have a copy of Quake: The Offering that includes Quake as well as Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity. I bought it and then realized I didn't care for either of the mission packs, so I've been meaning to sell it off.

Rohit_N said:

Heh, that one had a REALLY long and wound up story. I remember getting pretty good at the action scenes, to the point of clearing levels really quickly.

Solar Winds is also a good game to have, it was surprising how with some practice you could even destroy the harassing alien at the beginning with an unupgraded ship, if you abused the ship reconfiguration system ;-)

Thats one hell of alist you got there! Thats like my classic game dream list!

Oo, Chasm: The Rift is on your want list... If you ever get that, get the multiplayer patch and give me your IP address. I long to play DM on that, just to see it, or at least to try it with someone other than my sister who sucks ass at video games.

bgraybr said:

Operation Body Count and Turok are also fun classic/DOS games, and Powerslave.

Ryathaen said:

Like Jello said, you can get Daikatana these days, sealed, for under 10 dollars. I got mine on eBay a year or two ago.

I found mine in a Micro Center bargain bin.

Bucket said:

I found mine in a Micro Center bargain bin.

I've been wondering this for a while, was Dai Katana really one of the "worst games ever made"? Every review I've seen of it seems to say that, but I've also found some fans of the game (and apparently a few people here thought buying a copy was worth it).

John Romero becomes your bitch when you buy Daikatana that cheap.

I saw some videos of the online multiplayer. It looks kinda entertaining and playable but some of the maps get god awfully buggy because of the faulty netcode. I'm only speaking from speculation though, I've never actually played the game.

Doom Dude said he didn't mind Daikatana and there seem to be a few fans on John Romero's forums. It's one of those things where it would just be a pretty middling average FPS, but it was hyped to crazy extremes. Based on what I've heard of it, it seems like the sort of game that would do well to have its code released so the community could fix it up.