Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

R_FlatNumForName: not found

Recommended Posts

I keep getting this error when testing my level, with zdoom. The format is Doom 2.

I had a lot of problems when I was working on the map before, here. I think it was because I drew the outline of the rooms first, and then filled them with detail in weird ways, resulting in overlapping linedefs and weirdly shaped sectors that aren't connected. When I check my map with Doom Builder, I don't get any errors except for missing textures, and that's just because some rooms aren't visible to the player (teleport rooms) so I just didn't bother texturing them.

I, stupidly, saved the level after I got this error, but I got the backup files and the level all http://www.mediafire.com/?p0pfe88hqiqdpdf.

Hilf?

Share this post


Link to post
bgraybr said:

When I check my map with Doom Builder, I don't get any errors except for missing textures,


What ? Doom Builder reports heaps of errors ... zero length linedefs, unclosed sectors, vertex errors, overlapping lines, stuck things ...

Regarding the R_FlatNumForName : not found error, that is because you have - as the flat for many sectors. To find out which with DoomBuilder 1 .... F3 > Find Sector Flat > - > Find.

Fix them and try again.

... beaten to it ... ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, glad to see you're not scared by the bugs and continuing with this map, I really like how it's coming along.

It's not crashing at all for me in prboom-plus or zdoom...

But yeah that error is in regards to bad texture/flat names. Doom Builder uses a hashmark "-" to designate something as untextured, but if you try to run the game, it's going to look for a texture (or flat) with the name "-".

Textures with bad names just result in the usual HOM effect, but flats with bad names will cause doom2.exe to crash. Zdoom for me just renders untextured flats as checkerboards or something, and doesn't crash...

While Doom Builder is awesome, its error check function is a bit too lenient in reporting errors. When I ran your map through Wad Author's error check function, it found a lot of bad flat names, a sector with invalid height, and a duplicate vertex or two.

They're all quick fixes and I'd be glad to just do them for you, but it's sleepy time ;-P

Share this post


Link to post
hawkwind said:

What ? Doom Builder reports heaps of errors ... zero length linedefs, unclosed sectors, vertex errors, overlapping lines, stuck things ...

Regarding the R_FlatNumForName : not found error, that is because you have - as the flat for many sectors. To find out which with DoomBuilder 1 .... F3 > Find Sector Flat > - > Find.

Fix them and try again.

... beaten to it ... ;)


Weird- I'm using Doom Builder 2, is it more lenient on errors? I'll try giving a flat to every sector in the map, and check it again in different editors.

Vorpal said:

Textures with bad names just result in the usual HOM effect, but flats with bad names will cause doom2.exe to crash. Zdoom for me just renders untextured flats as checkerboards or something, and doesn't crash...


Yeah, I wasn't aware of the fact that every sector has to have a flat- I've never had that problem in zdoom either.

Share this post


Link to post

Doom Builder 2 just has no check for unknown flats. But it also does NOT let you 'delete' a flat like you can delete a texture from a wall (which sets it to '-'). You must have typed the '-' yourself.

I shall add a check for unknown flat names to Doom Builder for the next release.

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

Dumb question: Which version of ZDoom are you using? That error message has been removed for ages.


I changed my Doom 2 configuration a couple of days ago, and forgot about it. I was actually using Chocolate Doom.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×