Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

Similar Applications to DeHacked

Quick question since DeHacked won't work on Windows 7 and I have limited knowledge with DOSbox.

Are their any applications similar to DeHacked that allow you to modify Vanilla Doom?

I want to learn how to modify Doom within its limits just for fun and maybe once I get good at mapping.

I use Whacked3 and find it pretty nice. Never tried it on Seven though.

DeHacked is built into Chocolate Doom, which is almost identical to the original game.

Edit: I just realized how stupid this post is. For some reason I though that you were looking for a source port that supports DeHacked patches, not an editor.

Phml said:

I use Whacked3 and find it pretty nice. Never tried it on Seven though.

There's a third version? Wow. Never heard of it till now.

Herculine said:

I'm using WhackED 2 on Windows 7 and have had no problems.

Thanks a bunch Herculine! :D It worked right away!

I don't understand why WhackED 3 doesn't work on 7...

If anyone reads this thread and had a similar question you can find a direct link to WhackED 2 here.

Credit for solving the problem goes to PHML & Herculine.

If you're working for anything vanilla, keep in mind WhackEd 2 is focused toward Boom (BEX) and may even lack some text-string DEH features. If I recall correctly, it has an option to write DEH or BEX. The former would give almost full DeHackEd support.

It won't affect you if you do vanilla stuff, but WhackEd 2 also creates BEX files that are incompatible with Boom itself, by placing spaces between bits flags and plus signs. MBF and many source ports based on Boom don't mind that, but it still affects the original Boom and any close derivatives. I suppose this was fixed for WhackEd 3, because I reported the problem to the author.

While DeHackEd is a DOS application, it uses a GUI interface, so you won't need to use the command line much, if you need to run it.

myk said:

It won't affect you if you do vanilla stuff, but WhackEd 2 also creates BEX files that are incompatible with Boom itself, by placing spaces between bits flags and plus signs. MBF and many source ports based on Boom don't mind that, but it still affects the original Boom and any close derivatives. I suppose this was fixed for WhackEd 3, because I reported the problem to the author.

That is fixed in WhackEd3, yes. I've misplaced the link to it though, and can't upload right now. Does someone else have it?

Not in Vanilla-compatible DeHackEd or even via Boom extensions. However, MBF (right?) and several ports based on (or in part on) MBF have a codepointer called A_Detonate, which can be substituted in place of A_Explode. Then, you can specify the damage of the explosion radius by setting the Missile Damage of the projectile (the rocket in this case).

This would make your project require MBF, Eternity, or a ZDoom-based engine (possibly a few others). Also, you would have to manually add it to the patch file after creating it, since WhackEd2 doesn't support any source ports other than Boom.

EarthQuake said:

Not in Vanilla-compatible DeHackEd or even via Boom extensions. However, MBF (right?) and several ports based on (or in part on) MBF have a codepointer called A_Detonate, which can be substituted in place of A_Explode. Then, you can specify the damage of the explosion radius by setting the Missile Damage of the projectile (the rocket in this case).

This would make your project require MBF, Eternity, or a ZDoom-based engine (possibly a few others). Also, you would have to manually add it to the patch file after creating it, since WhackEd2 doesn't support any source ports other than Boom.

Thank you EarthQuake! I will keep this piece of information in mind if I ever would like to create a wad without the limits of vanilla.

Whenever I attempt to open a .deh file besides the ones I created from WhackEd2 it gives me this error. "frmMain.OpenFile: There were no engine configuration files found that match the patch file's target engine."

Example deh file "STRAIN.deh"

Can someone please explain to me how I can open a deh file without running into this error. I should be doing more research on WhackEd, but since there is a thread here I might as well ask.

I don't know if this will work, but:

- Use notepad to open a deh/bex file that was made with whacked2, and copy the first few lines of text before the actual dehacked part starts
- Use notepad to open strain.deh, delete the first few lines of text before the dehacked starts and replace it with the whacked2 text