Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Quakecon - Rage

Wow look it's a giant Super mutant in the mangled city scape of Washington DC! Oh wait, different game entirely.

Is that a city for midgets? Each separate floor in the buildings looks really short going by those screenshots

Looks cool. To bad the game won't ship until September of next year!!! Read it over at gamespy.com

I can't wait for more graphic bound, short, linear game play.

imp1979 said:

Looks cool. To bad the game won't ship until September of next year!!! Read it over at gamespy.com

Wait... September next year? This game has been in development for nearly seven years!

Unfortunately it doesn't look very distinctive from any of the last 50,000 first person shooters I've seen in the past 3 years.

I'd much rather see a true sequel to Quake. Nothing to do with the Strogg or any sort of DM Arena. I want the gothic/medieval Quake to come back. :(

Sonikku7 said:

I'd much rather see a true sequel to Quake. Nothing to do with the Strogg or any sort of DM Arena. I want the gothic/medieval Quake to come back. :(

It would be insanely cool if they attempted modern day technology, but limiting it to Quakes mechanics. Mazes, keys, trap door/closets, etc, with zero scripted sequences and brief cinematic, if any.

But it was Quakes unique, cluster fuck ambitions and technological limitation that made it what it is. Surreal. All of Quake is rectangular, with graphics that leave much of the textures to the imagination. id has never came close to capturing Quake's (or Doom's) atmosphere. I'm afraid it's like classic cinema and music. Technique and equipment that no longer exists outside of it's past achievements. The people of id have long since left, fired or retired.

Sonikku7 said:

I think it's close enough. I saw the last Rage news, and it reminded me of Quake. The monsters in screenshots and everywhere look like Quake ogres or grunts.

Sonikku7 said:

F**k yeah! I honestly never liked the strogg nonsense.

I personally thought Quake 2 was by far the best game in the series. :/

Ralphis said:

Is that a city for midgets? Each separate floor in the buildings looks really short going by those screenshots

I was thinking the same thing. Also lol, Cloverfield the game.

Technician said:

That's a good joke.

What I'm saying is that I want to see something that steers away from the collecting keys, opening doors and flipping switches style of game play other then the newer Doom and Quake games. Would be cool.

You want a game that has the core game play removed. FPS is all about opening doors and flippin' switches. Fuck, most FPS doesn't even have keys anymore.

Well, Rage already seems to be a different approach for id. Upgradeable weapons, vehicles, and I believe this is the first game from them where you can aim down the sight with your gun. I know, nothing new as far as the FPS genre is concerned, but new for them.

Technician said:

You want a game that has the core game play removed. FPS is all about opening doors and flippin' switches. Fuck, most FPS doesn't even have keys anymore.

As far as I'm concerned, FPS is just the camera location, the game can be unique in itself. What your saying is that a game can't be classified as an FPS unless it has the mechanics of the games before it, like saying a sidescroller cant be a sidescroller if it doesn't have question mark boxes and you don't jump on peoples heads.

FP is the camera location. S is the fact that it's about shooting things.

Modern FPSes have boiled down to nothing more than pointing at enemies and clicking until they stop moving, following one obvious path, and watching badly acted animated cutscenes. What's that, you want a FPS that actually requires you to think and solve problems? Screw you! Go play a flash game, you pansie.

Fine, your shooting things, my point still stands. You don't need switches and keys to have an FPS.

Portal for example, you still need to think, and you still don't have switches and doors.

AveryMaurice said:

Portal for example, you still need to think, and you still don't have switches and doors.

The fuck you don't

Technician said:

The fuck you don't

Aha I guess to be fair there are "switches" in the forms of those ball compartments. Maybe Half-Life 2 would be a better example. (Oh yeah, and the buttons.)

I think the better question would be: Can id Software make a game that differs from the mold. I don't know. From what I understand id is ninty-five percent new talent.

I was really hoping for some Doom 4 news this con...

Yeah me too. But now that I find out Rage isn't even shipping until September of next year, I'm not even thinking of Doom 4 now. Figure that game won't be out until at least a year after Rage. It's only been in development for just over two years. And id said they were still actually HIRING people on to the Doom 4 project mid last year!!

AveryMaurice said:

Aha I guess to be fair there are "switches" in the forms of those ball compartments. Maybe Half-Life 2 would be a better example haha.

You have never played Portal before have you?

I was really hoping for some Doom 4 news this con...

IIRC someone from Skulltag actually asked Carmack about that but Carmack refused to give him any information about it.