Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow Dweller

3D Modeling - Getting Started

I want to try incorporating 3D models into a doom map. But, the question hit me; What would be the best modeling tool to use? Which ones are compatable with GZDoom/Skulltag or does it even matter? Which one is recommended for beginners?

I hear a lot of people use Milkshape 3D and I've already started playing around with the Unreal Engine. But, it seems to be more of a map builder (all the features I've used in Unreal seemed to be geared towards map building). What I want to do is make 3D objects, like decorations and eventually build up to monsters and weapons.

So if some of the Mapping and Modeling guru's out there could help me out, that'd be great!

I don't know whether this is good advice but you could try Blender.
http://www.blender.org/
Though you may want to test it can import / export the models properly before doing any serious work with it.

Milkshape 3D is a good app to get started with 3D modeling, so you're already on the right track, plus it's designed to work with the MD2 model format. There are hundreds of useful tutorials for it too, so you can get started right away. It's probably the easiest modeler I've ever used. Blender, on the other hand, is staggeringly complex from the get-go and is not suited to beginners unless it "clicks" with you right away. Though both can handle both low-poly and high-poly models, Milkshape 3D is more suited to low-poly and Blender is more suited to high-poly. You can also try Wings 3D, though you would have to have another tool to export MD2 since it doesn't natively handle the format. But in all honesty... Milkshape 3D is probably the way to go.

You could also try Poser, but it isn't a modeler per se, it's more of a scene renderer and is suited to very high-poly models. It is, however, very useful for making things like title screens and cutscenes.

4mer said:

I don't know whether this is good advice but you could try Blender.
http://www.blender.org/
Though you may want to test it can import / export the models properly before doing any serious work with it.

Blender's biggest flaw is its UI, or maybe the fact that they're proud of how incomprehensible it is.

I use a freeware modeler called DeleD, very simple UI, takes an hour or two at most to learn, and does what I need it to. There's no MD2 exporter for it, though. You'd have to export to one of the formats it does support and then convert from there.

Download gmax and use it in conjunction with a 3dsmax tutorial. Don't bother with Milkshape, the only thing u will learn from that is how to model like a n00b

Blender is ok for free, but like someone said the interface is f*********ked up

Dragonsbrethren said:

Blender's biggest flaw is its UI, or maybe the fact that they're proud of how incomprehensible it is.

Quoted for truth. If you're new to modelling Blender is NOT the app to learn in, as it will take you forever to migrate to anything else afterwards.

Furthermore, the default configuration is the most ridiculous I've ever encountered. Its basically unusable until you change all view/projection options, shortcuts, etc.

Mr. T said:

Don't bother with Milkshape, the only thing u will learn from that is how to model like a n00b

How do n00bs model?

I think I could probably start off using Milkshape just to get the feel for it. Though, I wouldn't mind getting into something like 3dsmax or Maya. Of course, that all depends on what Skulltag is compatible with.

How do n00bs model?

Not sure, but it looks like I'm about to find out :P

Thanks for the help everyone!

Shadow Dweller said:

Though, I wouldn't mind getting into something like 3dsmax or Maya.

In that case you should definitely start out with GMAX, which you can download from TurboSquid. It's the small brother to 3DSMAX from Autodesk.

Does gmax work properly with Vista/7 now? I know the viewports flickered like crazy whenever I moved the mouse over them the last time I tried it. That made it pretty much unusable, but I forget if I tried disabling Aero. I know that fixes the flickering in Radiant.

Shadow Dweller said:

I think I could probably start off using Milkshape just to get the feel for it. Though, I wouldn't mind getting into something like 3dsmax or Maya. Of course, that all depends on what Skulltag is compatible with.

Not sure, but it looks like I'm about to find out :P

Thanks for the help everyone!

Seriously, you won't learn anything but bad habits that will make learning max harder later on. Get gmax >.<

Ok, Gmax is downloaded. This will work with Skulltag, right? As in I'll be able to use the models in doom?

Edit:

Does gmax work properly with Vista/7 now? I know the viewports flickered like crazy whenever I moved the mouse over them the last time I tried it. That made it pretty much unusable, but I forget if I tried disabling Aero. I know that fixes the flickering in Radiant.

Not to sure of what causes it (Everything turns white when clicking in a viewport, right?), if what it is, then switching the theme to windows basic seemed to work.

Mr. T said:

Seriously, you won't learn anything but bad habits that will make learning max harder later on. Get gmax >.<

What kind of bad habits? I want to know what kind of bad habits I might have considering I've been a Milkshape user for a long time... please, educate me.

Hmm where to start...

There is no cut tool. The model smoothing is absolutely fucked (want to change the smoothing angle yourself? too bad), there is no manual type in for vertex positioning, the program itself is malware (good luck trying to run it with certain apps open), the UV unwrap tools are horrible etc etc etc

There are ways around most of the program's deficiencies, but for a beginning modeler all you will learn are odd milkshape-isms that you will have to spend just as much time unlearning later.

@OP you will probably need to use Milkshape for the final step of your model (exporting it to MD2 format) unless there is a source port that supports MD3, which gmax can export if u install the Quake 3 tools for it.

Here are some tutorials:
Modelling a glock 17 slide
http://home.zonnet.nl/g.griesheimer/GlockTut/Glocktutorial.htm

This is a decent tut for working in quads, even if the guy's model does look like out of proportion (probably on purpose)
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/benmathis/benmathis_1.php