Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jukenukem4d

How do you get those more vibrant colours and fancy projectile effects?

Wadup Gs?

In some WADs I've played, I've noticed the rather dull blue water colour and the inside of the cacodemon's mouth has been changed to a vibrant colour that's more like a swimming pool water's colour. How do they do that?

Also, how do you get the orange glow for imp projectiles and magenta glow for cacodemon projectiles?

I use ZDoom and GZDoom. Thanks in advance.

jukenukem4d said:

In some WADs I've played, I've noticed the rather dull blue water colour and the inside of the cacodemon's mouth has been changed to a vibrant colour that's more like a swimming pool water's colour. How do they do that?

This is typically done by inserting a custom color pallette into the wad. Depending on the pallette, it translates some or all of DooM's colors into other colors in a 256-color scheme.

Another way is to completely replace the graphics with png. format graphics that contain the colors to which you refer. This is a much more tedious way of doing things, if all you want is a color translation (best achieved by a custom pallette).

Also, how do you get the orange glow for imp projectiles and magenta glow for cacodemon projectiles?

This is done by including a GLDEF (GL definitions) file in your wad. This instructs the game (e.g., GZDooM in hardware acceleration mode) to add glow and other light effects to elements of the game. GLDEF for DooM (to run with GZDooM) can be downloaded and run along with DooM to give you the light effects.