Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireSeraphim

My own two cents about the Plasma Rifle and the Chaingun

I have often wish to discuss my opinion on both of these weapons. Some people like the Plasma Rifle and the Chaingun, and some hate them.

I never really did like the Plasma Rifle or the Chaingun due to the way they were designed. To me, it seems that the Chaingun is too fat and the plasma rifle is too blocky in terms of weaponry aesthetics. I understand that the developers at ID Software did not have enough money to buy better things to base the guns off of at the time and that they were kinda displeased with the designs of some of the weapons from the DooM Alpha. But I believe that they could at least used one of the rejected DooM Alpha Weapons in place of the Chaingun and atleast tried to improvise a better Plasma Rifle. To be honest with you guys, The projectiles of DooM's Plasma Rifle feels too much like a half filled water ballon in comparison to the paint ball pellet like energy shots of Turok 64's Pulse Rifle projectiles.

I suppose my rant is done. Feel free to comment on weapons from the ID tech 1 Engine Library that you like or dislike.

The Plamsa Rifle sounds like a weapon John Stalvern would use.

Never cared too much about the chaingun. Because...

The Plasma Rifle is the best goddamn gun in DooM. It has a much better ammo-to-damage ratio than the BFG, and is the default weapon of mine. The only problem I have with it is that the high ROF results in my ears bleeding.

As for aesthetics, I think they look great. Blocky weapons are THE visual staple of '90s games.

Mr. Freeze said:

Never cared too much about the chaingun. Because...

The Plasma Rifle is the best goddamn gun in DooM. It has a much better ammo-to-damage ratio than the BFG

ehh??? I have a hard time killing a spiderdemon with 40 cells from the plasma rifle.

I'd say plasma is the most under-appreciated weapon in Doom: It's overshadowed by the BFG, and you can use the chaingun for rapid fire as well (the plasma having two purposes: causing a lot of damage and doing it fast). Of course the biggest reason for the plasma's under-appreciation is really in map design: It simply doesn't appear often enough, or when it does, you're going to get the BFG soon after so there's little to no point in using the plasma. As a result, maps centered around plasma rather than the SSG or BFG often feel refreshing and interesting, despite that the plasma is actually an older weapon than the SSG is. ;)

Chaingun, on the other hand, is awesome no matter what.

Also, plasma is not hitscan. It means that it can snag on corners, or on obstacles (especially in ZDoom unless a compat option is set on), and that you have to lead your shots if the enemy is at a distance (compare with the chaingun, who is the sniper's weapon of choice). Even worse, it's a big projectile which obscures your own view of the scene.

Every gun in Doom has its good uses, and that holds true for the chaingun and plasma rifle. Without them, those distant pain elementals would be so much more goddamn frustrating.

Mr. Freeze said:

The Plasma Rifle is the best goddamn gun in DooM. It has a much better ammo-to-damage ratio than the BFG,

This, however, is sadly wrong, and most wads give you the BFG waaaay too soon. Plutonia probably had it right, with the plasma rifle appearing well before the BFG becomes accessible. It keeps it useful for a while. Its just really handy and definitely one of the more useful weapons.

Mr. Freeze said:

It has a much better ammo-to-damage ratio than the BFG

naaah.

only rl somewhat compares to cg sniping and both cg/plasma are speedrunner's favourite when just rushing through crowded spaces. watch some doom2 movies and marvel how under-appreciated it is. :p

this also closely ties to dm point of view: plasma is the perfect melee weapon, i'm not kidding. it's like berserk or gauntlet, but with longer reach. of course it's good for spamming/spam blocking too, but the most under-appreciated feature is to come up close and go epileptic.

I love mowing into a pack shotgun guys with a plasma rifle, and watching some of them explode while I'm at it. Something about that makes me feel very manly. The only thing I don't like about the plasma gun is that the sound does get a bit annoying after holding my trigger on it for extended periods of time. :P

Keyblade Master said:
But I believe that they could at least used one of the rejected DooM Alpha Weapons in place of the Chaingun and atleast tried to improvise a better Plasma Rifle.

I'm sure they did it on purpose to make them look more brutal and crazy. Their thickness fits with that of the rocket launcher, to make them look like something between the more common looking shotgun and the ludicrously intimidating BFG. Good choices, in my opinion, as it makes the game look more over-the-top action oriented instead of "realistic" as the discarded rifles and machine guns seemed to imply. The messages for picking weapons up all have exclamation marks or words of encouragement to make the player excited about getting some new toy to splatter, mow down or gib opponents by the dozen.

The projectiles of DooM's Plasma Rifle feels too much like a half filled water ballon

Maybe in Boom, where it's drawn translucently :p

DeathevokatioN could have said:

The only thing I don't like about the chaingun is that the sound does get a bit annoying after holding my trigger on it for any periods of time. :P

Fixed.

I do think the ChainGun is underpowered for what it is supposed to be however as a light assault rifle in the vain of an M4A1 it works wonderfully. Short controlled burst are great for suppression. If I am faced with some Sergeants and Commandos I can selectively pain state them and take them down quickly with little fire returned. Alternatively if I'm totally screwed or up against larger Monsters then full auto is a life saver option. A ChainGun might have been an easier sprite to make and it fits with the macho Aliens/Terminator fantasy theme but it acts like an assault rifle.

As for the Plasma rifle. It is great! It is the ChainGun for larger Monsters though hampered in tight areas.

The plasma rifle could really benefit if the BFG had a bigger cost. A penalty, so you'd only use it in emergencies, otherwise you'd stick with a more conserving plasma gun.

But as long as it's possible to kill 3 (if not 4) cacodemons with 40 power from BFG (instead of 54+ from PG), it will remain unfair.

Regarding the CG: the Doom pistol sound sucks. It's like a muted version of that stock pistol sound. It sounds more like a steel sheet beat than a cracker pop.

Since I first saw it, I always kind of wished they went with the alpha 0.5 machine gun instead of the final chaingun, maybe with a few tweaks. The rifle was looking great too, maybe a bit too similar to the shotgun, but it still had some personality. I'm guessing they went with the chaingun for that over-the-top feel like myk said, but the machine gun sprite was just so much more detailed, and even fit the damage output better.

Mr. Freeze said:

It has a much better ammo-to-damage ratio than the BFG

Incorrect.
The BFG can, in theory, cause over 5000 points of damage at point blank.
In practice, due to Doom's PRNG, the actual number is more around 2000-3000.

Still far more for 40 cells than you would get with 40 Plasma rounds.

I honestly don't think you can really appreaciate weapons until you use them in Nightmare mode. The chaingun is like twice as helpful than the shotgun is on nightmare mode. The plasma gun is also an ass saver in such situations.

I like the plasma gun in most cases, but it's hard to include it in a map because the ammo items provide way too much per item, it's hard to place them in a map and not fill up the player's inventory so they can run around manning the plasma gun for 80% of the map.

40oz said:

The chaingun is like twice as helpful than the shotgun is on nightmare mode.

Yeah but the shotgun lets you shoot and hide. With the chaingun you have to be locked in open sight.

I absolutly HATE the the high pitched scream of the plasma gun. When ever I make a wad I always put in doom 64's nice and smooth plasma gun sounds. Otherwise the plasma gun is awesome.