Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Can I put a player start on an upper 3D floor?

Is it possible to put a player start on an upper 3D floor in GZDoom, and if so, how can I determine the Z height?

I would like to know this too... when I was developing for Vavoom, it could be done, but when I decided to start developing for GZDOOM instead, my E3M8 was broken and was starting the player out on the solid lowest floor instead of on the first 3D floor where he was supposed to go. I remedied it by creating a normal sector the same height as the first 3D floor, but that isn't the solution, just a quick fix... it seems as if the Z coordinate doesn't actually work for player starts, but it works fine for everything else... there might be a flag buried in the documentation somewhere that we're missing.

EDIT: This thread on zdoom might help:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26265

Set the "height" parameter of the player start so it is above the 3d floor top when it appears in the game.

No, unfortunately it will not work. The method generally involves instantly teleporting the player after spawning, or (for a single-player-only map) have the sector be at the 3D floor's height at the start and insta-lower to its normal height once the player is spawned.

I do think having the option in MAPINFO to just use the Z height attribute as it should intuitively work would be nice. I might try making a patch for that, but I'm busy with other things at the moment.