Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
david_a

Always bet on Duke [Update: It's official]

Recommended Posts

Sorry buster! No can do. I'll just break free, kick butt, and be on my way...

Share this post


Link to post

At this point, I would just put together a ZDoom + FreeDoom hack, slap some Duke 3D shit in it, call it Forever and hype the shit out of it. It will give the fans (and Borderlands Studio's attorneys) something to chew on.

Share this post


Link to post

The gaming world NEEDS a game like Duke to save it from banal combat shooters. Reading through the developer material released after it was canceled revealed a game ripe with creativity. "Duke crosses a hazardous kitchen with a jetpack and is attacked by snowball throwing pigcops". Holy shit... in a world filled with "realistic" combat shooters where the most original gun you can find is a FAMAS F1... Duke Nukem could have saved us from every boring FPS Modern Warfare, Black Ops, Metal of Honor...etc. An action game that doesn't take itself seriously and is firmly tongue in cheek would have been a godsend.

I still hold onto hope that I can see something like this released.

Share this post


Link to post

I said it before and I'll say it again. I'll start believing when I see an actual release date.

Share this post


Link to post

I'll belive it when I see a Demo hit the web. Later this year? I think that a Demo for this would be one hell of a christmas present.

Share this post


Link to post
Scuba Steve said:



If you're looking for that kind of originality, look no further: Postal 2 (especially with the Apocalypse Weekend expansion pack) had reached unprecedented levels of randomness and surrealism e.g.

"Postal Dude escapes from the hospital with a head trauma that causes him to have seizures, then goes to a chinese fast-food joint called "Greasy Panda" where the clerk that serves him is a zombie that starts complaining about work conditions and then the whole fast food is full with zombies, and after the Dude kills the zombies he gets promoted to Mad Cow Disease Control Officer and gets to kill cows with a sledgehammer, only that so-called peaceful animalists try and kill him with machine guns and grenades and then the cows were zombies and after that he goes shoot some elephants in a reservation "to make children happy" etc. etc."

Share this post


Link to post
Scuba Steve said:

But Postal 2 is 7 years old.


...said the guy who made a mod for a 17 year-old game ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Scuba Steve said:

The gaming world NEEDS a game like Duke to save it from banal combat shooters. Reading through the developer material released after it was canceled revealed a game ripe with creativity. "Duke crosses a hazardous kitchen with a jetpack and is attacked by snowball throwing pigcops". Holy shit... in a world filled with "realistic" combat shooters where the most original gun you can find is a FAMAS F1... Duke Nukem could have saved us from every boring FPS Modern Warfare, Black Ops, Metal of Honor...etc. An action game that doesn't take itself seriously and is firmly tongue in cheek would have been a godsend.

I still hold onto hope that I can see something like this released.

Totally agreed. I've been hoping it would be released finally for years now, just so we can have a throwback to 90s FPSs. Hopefully the new Space Marine game will be such a thing. It's supposedly a 100% action FPS with no stealth missions or dumb puzzles, and your character is so badass (duh, he's a 40k Space Marine) that you can take on hordes of space orks by yourself. Looks fun.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm all for a new Duke game provided that George Broussard isn't making it. Otherwise you might as well not even bother wasting the money.

Share this post


Link to post

The worst possible scenario would be to hire John Romero to make the new Duke Nukem. With his know-how, team leadership etc. displayed in the similarly ambitious project, Daikatana, it's almost certain that it wi[BOOOOOOOOOOOOS]

...ok, ok, don't throw the tomatoes ALL at once!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Danarchy said:

It's supposedly a 100% action FPS with no stealth missions or dumb puzzles, and your character is so badass (duh, he's a 40k Space Marine) that you can take on hordes of space orks by yourself. Looks fun.


hm, I read third person shooter on that site.

Article said:

Space Marine is a third-person shooter that’s keen on numbers...

Share this post


Link to post
Snakes said:

Whether real or not, my friend and I made a bet 2 years ago whether DNF or Dr. Dre's Detox would be released first. Both of us are pretty much sure-fire that we aren't going to win that bet (my money's on Detox). They've both reached the point of a punchline, and fuck... they're both so old that when it actually gets released, I won't care.


Four months later, and this is still true. Now Dr. Dre claims Detox is coming out late this year, and coincidentally, we're gonna get a demo for this game?

I sincerely doubt both of those.

Share this post


Link to post

I want it to be "a big USA propaganda", as some barely-literate bloke once 'warned' it would be on here (probably the same guy who hated Shadow Warrior for being "yellow peril propaganda" *lol smiley*). Ok i hate the great satan as much as the next bearded bloke in a cave but such an unapolagetic no-nonsense attitude would certianly be a Soldier Of Fortune-shaped breath of fresh air.

Speaking of which i need to go and get that on budget and start removing people's faces with a gun that sounds like a typewriter all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Danarchy said:

Totally agreed. I've been hoping it would be released finally for years now, just so we can have a throwback to 90s FPSs. Hopefully the new Space Marine game will be such a thing. It's supposedly a 100% action FPS with no stealth missions or dumb puzzles, and your character is so badass (duh, he's a 40k Space Marine) that you can take on hordes of space orks by yourself. Looks fun.

Thirded. I would love to see this game finished and be good. And if it isn't good, at least it will be done. Though, I haven't been waiting for it for >10 years, I just found out about it a couple years ago, so I'm in no way angry or annoyed by it's development.

Share this post


Link to post

fraggle said:
I'm all for a new Duke game provided that George Broussard isn't making it. Otherwise you might as well not even bother wasting the money.

The irony is that, if that happens, it may well end up a game lacking what Scuba is talking about.

Personally, I think all the money wasting and bickering is pretty funny and not very surprising, considering the industry at large. Making games moves on the knife's edge between bullshit and something interesting, by construction, and the more "serious" it gets, the more retarded the accompanying issues become.

Share this post


Link to post
Scuba Steve said:

The gaming world NEEDS a game like Duke to save it from banal combat shooters.


Very true.

Share this post


Link to post

Danarchy said:
Hopefully the new Space Marine game will be such a thing. It's supposedly a 100% action FPS with no stealth missions or dumb puzzles, and your character is so badass (duh, he's a 40k Space Marine) that you can take on hordes of space orks by yourself. Looks fun.


Space marine gets extra bonus points for not having a fucking cover system. I'm buying it for that reason alone. YOU CANNOT SERVE THE EMPEROR COWERING BEHIND A CHEST HIGH WALL

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×