Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Katamori

Strife: Quest fo the Sigil

Strife (released in 1996) is a Doom-engine game created by Rogue Entertainment and published by Velocity. It offered an RPG-like action game, with heavy story elements and voice-acting. Among the features were hub-levels similar to Hexen, the ability to increase the player's accuracy with most of the weapons, an item that could destroy forcefields, and the ability to raise your maximum health from 100 to as much as 200 permanently. Strife is also the very last commercial game to use the Doom engine. Its source code was lost. (source: Doom Wiki)

Do you know this game? I've never spoken any people, who know this game, but Strife is one the best game I've ever seen! Sadly, it is not a known game...

Can I write download link from [some abandonware site]?

I guess about everybody who is a regular on this forum knows about it.

I also guess that even if the clear copyright holder (Rogue Entertainment) no longer exists, it is still copyrighted content, and the copyright will only expire, according to US laws, 125 years after the Walt Disney Company goes bankrupt and can no longer afford to lobby for new Copyright Extension Acts. Therefore, it is not a good idea to post abandonware links on a forum where posting warez is a ban-worthy offense.

Strife is a fun game for a while. PLaying it on a 98, while a better experiance due to voices and more clear instructions (over Zdooms strife fail), but with sourceports you can save more often and in more places.

Clonehunter said:

Strife is a fun game for a while. PLaying it on a 98, while a better experiance due to voices and more clear instructions (over Zdooms strife fail), but with sourceports you can save more often and in more places.

I played on ZDoom, cause I don't like original controlling of Doom, but I heard about the Strife save-system... just 1 save sucks

Clonehunter said:

Strife is a fun game for a while. PLaying it on a 98, while a better experiance due to voices and more clear instructions (over Zdooms strife fail),

Both of these things work in ZDoom as they should. Where's the fail?

Whenever I play the strife wad, there are no voices, and emails are hard to pull up. Wait, do I need to use both the Strife1.wad and the voices.wad?

Clonehunter said:

Whenever I play the strife wad, there are no voices, and emails are hard to pull up. Wait, do I need to use both the Strife1.wad and the voices.wad?

If voices.wad is not in the same directory as Strife1.wad, it will not be loaded. Duh.

What do you mean by "emails are hard to pull up"?

Katamori said:
Can I write download link from [some abandonware site]?

Nope, but thanks for asking instead of doing it. It would be deleted, just like your verbal reference was (I did that) and may incur forum penalties.

myk said:

Nope, but thanks for asking instead of doing it. It would be deleted, just like your verbal reference was (I did that) and may incur forum penalties.

I never link downloads on a forum without asking before :)

Gez said:

If voices.wad is not in the same directory as Strife1.wad, it will not be loaded. Duh.

What do you mean by "emails are hard to pull up"?

Whatever. Black Birds emails to you.

But otherwise... Oh... lol... I assumed the Strife voices.wad was inimportant, along with being extremely annoying.

Thats two bad things about Strife. Lack of good saving, and, horrible voice acting, especially the mayor.

Clonehunter said:

Whatever. Black Birds emails to you.

There's an option in the menu to bind a key to that screen. You can also see those messages in the console.

Lack of good saving,

AFAIK that was addressed for the last update (1.31 if I am not mistaken.)

and, horrible voice acting, especially the mayor.

Welcome to 1996 when games were not as refined (and dull) as they are today... :)

Gez said:

and the copyright will only expire, according to US laws, 125 years after the Walt Disney Company goes bankrupt and can no longer afford to lobby for new Copyright Extension Acts.

Made my day. Sad but true.

Clonehunter said:

horrible voice acting, especially the mayor.

I think, no
the voice acting is fantastic in my opinion

Better than in many recent games.

And better than localized voice acting in any game. I swear, having failed actor school is a requirement to be hired to do the voice acting for a translation. (And having failed linguistics is a requirement to be hired to do the translations.)

@Katamori: If you haven't already, check out Kaiser's two wads he made for the game. Well worth a play. :)

1 2

You'll need a port such as GZDoom or Svstrife to run them.

Gez said:

Better than in many recent games.

And better than localized voice acting in any game. I swear, having failed actor school is a requirement to be hired to do the voice acting for a translation. (And having failed linguistics is a requirement to be hired to do the translations.)

Indeed. Even back in the day when I still was buying games I almost always had to buy imports or import myself because the local versions were translated into oblivion.

Khorus said:

@Katamori: If you haven't already, check out Kaiser's two wads he made for the game. Well worth a play. :)

1 2

You'll need a port such as GZDoom or Svstrife to run them.

So modest. You're even doing some shameless self-promotion.

Either that or you are, by this conspicuous omission, subtly manipulating people into doing your promotion for you. :p

Hehe, Strife's voice acting is brilliant, actually. Possibly the best I've seen in a game, to be truthful. Brilliantly written, too, with all sorts of subtle humor and chuckle moments.

*blat* -- instant deep fry.

Gez: when I said, the voice acting is great, I thought about the speaking - because I could understand 90% of the diagouges

Khorus: I tried Kaiser's Strife mods, but I played just few minutes, because I better like playing with the original game

Gez said:

So modest. You're even doing some shameless self-promotion.

Either that or you are, by this conspicuous omission, subtly manipulating people into doing your promotion for you. :p

Heh! Well, from memory Kaiser's wads are much closer to the original strife style than my wad was.

Can I use Strife sprites in my WAD? Because I've seen some Strife enemys in AEons of Death, especially in v5

Katamori said:
Can I use Strife sprites in my WAD?

You don't have the right, but it is very unlikely anyone will stop you.

I wouldn't do it nor recommend it, because I like to see clear and explicit permission from the authors or "owners" before I use or modify something, but others do it and still upload their (mish-mashed and copyright infringing) stuff to idgames or wherever.

If you really like Strife, why not make a Strife PWAD?

Because I can't find a right enemy for my WAD - I'm need a living soldier's sprites to replace zombies