Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadow1013

Vanilla Freedoom

I really feel, that although i understand the reasoning of one wanting to use BOOM extensions for freedoom, i feel it should have vanilla maps only, as it is an IWAD, not a PWAD. and as such, the fact that freedoom isnt vanilla prevents me from sticking it in vanilla doom under dosbox, which i think would be really cool

I always thought it was weird that Freedoom didn't work in vanilla. It might not be much work to convert all the maps to vanilla in terms of their features, but I don't know if any have VPOs or other broken limits.

There's nothing to stop you using freedoom as an iwad with vanilla Doom - you just need to use a vanilla pwad together with it.

That it would work in that way was, I believe, one of the main motivations for the project.

and most freedoom maps are pretty close to vanilla anyway. just one or two linedefs that dont work, or a simple vpo that could be easily avoided

phi108 said:

but I don't know if any have VPOs or other broken limits.

You bet they have. Some of them feature some rather complex areas that are sure to overwhelm the tight limits.

in my opinion, some of the freedoom maps are more complex than they need to be. i mean look at the original doom. (DOOM 1 that is) they are amazing maps in my opinion, and theyre 100% vanilla

shadow1013 said:

ehh. i guess. i would never get done though. one person is too little for such an undertaking

Huh? It's just a couple of line specials to change and some VPOs to avoid, right?

i always was thinking if some of my levels could run in vanilla (and i mean the ones i made on doom 2 format) so i think map15 and map 28 i made would broke the limits or that i believe.

I just wanna say, although i wish i could map everything to vanilla, i dont think many people would like my maps. im not exactly the best mapper. im just a programmer

well for me its just to remove some sectors to make my maps less detailed because i always keep my mind on make the maps under Doom 2 Format because its universal format, so i never used boom effects. but i believe other freedoom maps use boom effects and its editing most of the freedoom maps

Which maps have you made? and someone should at least make the demos vanilla compatible if anything. thats a standard which hasnt really been changed whatsoever

shadow1013 said:

Which maps have you made? and someone should at least make the demos vanilla compatible if anything. thats a standard which hasnt really been changed whatsoever

well before version 0.64 my maps was added to freedoom

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DQ5XTCQ9

sorry for use megaupload but my web host (geocities) its closed now so i dont have where to host my files

hehe. i might get lynched for this next one, but i was playing freedoom on chocolate doom with pc sound effect on, and noticed, although the lumps are there, they dont contain anything :O maybe i will make pc sound effects

I do not think that your ideas for playing FreeDoom on a vanilla port will work when you get to MAP09 or MAP13. I made those maps specifically for FreeDoom using Boom features, and some things are going to stop working. You might be able to finish the level, but some major elements would be non-functional and would have to be played around.

This subject has been previously argued, voted upon, etc., in two other threads, and probably more. Whatever need there may be for a vanilla-FreeDoom that works on the early Doom, there is an equal need for a Boom-FreeDoom that uses the latest features of the latest Doom (Boom).

wesleyjohnson said:

I do not think that your ideas for playing FreeDoom on a vanilla port will work when you get to MAP09 or MAP13.

He'll not even get that far because map07 will VPO.

ahh, i dont know. I believe that IWAD's are supposed to be vanilla. and BOOM isn't even close to latest DOOM, for that you might as well put gzdoom features. but anyway, i would think at least make the demo's vanilla.

well, i had an idea last night, what if someone starts with 9 doom1 maps in vanilla to replace that of the shareware target, and then continue on to fill the ultimate doom?

I did not understand any of that last post, except "replace".
If you are planning to "replace" any map that I spent several months making exclusively for FreeDoom, then I will be unhappy.
If you got 9 vanilla maps, then start a Vanilla-FreeDoom, within which you can replace and de-Boom any map you want. A separate Vanilla-FreeDoom was my suggestion the last two times this was brought up. I think that many people here would prefer to not even hear of the Vanilla vrs Boom topic again.

Read that several times, I still do not understand it.

If you are talking about Ultimate-FreeDoom (the DoomI replacement), then a separate sub-group of people are working on that (not me), and you want to talk at the right people. I think they have their own set of WAD design rules.

You mean old MAP02 was originally e1m3.

Few freedoom maps actually work in vanilla. I wouldnt mind a vanilla-freedoom iwad, but the only problem is getting vanilla maps.

Having been thinking about making a community vanilla megawad project. It will be like any vanilla megawad project, except the maps would be released under Freedoom's BSD license. The maps would be released as a standard megawad that people can play in any iwad. But since all maps will be BSD licensed Freedoom could use them in the vanilla iwad.

Separating the maps I feel will get much more map contributions since people would not be forced to play on Freedoom. People could even design the maps for id's doom2.wad.

I actually love this idea. I wonder why it wasn't like that from the beginning. I think if this happens then there won't be a short of mappers since most people prefer to map for id's IWADS

if anyone wants, i guess i can actually convert map01 into vanilla, as it has very few issues except for an annoying MFADEMAP.

shadow1013 said:

if anyone wants, i guess i can actually convert map01 into vanilla, as it has very few issues except for an annoying MFADEMAP.

There are alot more issues than that. Ive already converted it. Its not as easy as it seems.