Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scet

Website hosting

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a decent web host? Someone has asked me to make a small site for their business. I can make the site no problem, but have never had my own domain.

Reliability is the most important feature. Cost isn't much of an issue, but a relatively low-monthly few would be nice since the site likely won't draw many visitors.

I use http://www.hosting24.com you get a free domain name and unlimited space for files for about US$4.84 per month and a small setup fee. It cost me AU$9 thereabouts to pay initially and I got PHP & MySQL, Ruby on rails for that price as well as a cgi-bin folder. I would check them out, they have a very fast connection and would be very good. And unlike something like Tripod, you can use Google Adsense to maybe make some money from the site.

You could install something like Wordpress or Joomla to manage the website then with a CMS.

Good luck with the site though whatever you choose.

neubejiita said:

Thanks, it looks good except I would prefer a .ca extension and they don't seem to offer it. I suppose I could register with somebody else, but then they're paying twice as much.

My brother just registered a .ca domain through GoDaddy and has hosting through hosting24, quite easy really.

Planky said:

My brother just registered a .ca domain through GoDaddy and has hosting through hosting24, quite easy really.

Why didn't he use GoDaddy for both?

Primarily because I recommended Hosting24 - he'd already purchased the domain before he mentioned it to me at any rate.

I'm currently with Deadly Servers who have a 99.99% uptime (which should be reliable enough) and hosting plans starting from $15 per year. Registering a domain name costs extra, though you can save a few dollars there by shopping around and dealing directly with a registrar - most of whom should be able to offer you a .ca suffix.

Yeah, I'm using hosting24 for Internetlantic/The Abyss. I can vouch for its reasonable service/cost. Every now and then I notice it a little slow during peak hours, but that's what you get for shared hosting from a popular host company. :)

GreyGhost said:

I'm currently with Deadly Servers who have a 99.99% uptime (which should be reliable enough) and hosting plans starting from $15 per year. Registering a domain name costs extra, though you can save a few dollars there by shopping around and dealing directly with a registrar - most of whom should be able to offer you a .ca suffix.

That's very appealing.