Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

Are all you Doomworlders mappers/modders?

I was a pure player for the longest time but I did try to get into mapping, but I was too impatient. Some years ago I just grasped it when I messed around in an editor. Mapping sprees are very sporadic though, maybe fiddle around for day or two and then forget Doom for months. Got some unreleased stuff, but nothing worth mentioning let alone uploading.

Like others have said, I map more than I play, but I have lots of unfinished stuff. I also never play doom for a very long time, which means I don't complete megawads usually. I guess doom just lends itself to short bursts of action :D plus, playing the game makes me want to map more

I dream of making a TC using totally hand-drawn graphics..

Been playing Doom since it came out. Made some maps with DeePsea in the early 00's and switched to Doom Builder later on. I've not actually released that many maps, mainly because I'm a more avid modder than mapper.

No.

I was too spoiled by making Build levels, and couldn't go back to something like Doom. Maybe I'll try again when I have a PC powerful enough to use Doom Builder 2.

Coopersville said:

No.

I was too spoiled by making Build levels, and couldn't go back to something like Doom. Maybe I'll try again when I have a PC powerful enough to use Doom Builder 2.

Funny about that, everyone praises Build for being the easiest engine to map for etc etc, but I never learned how to use it. Though impatience has probably something to do with it. How's it work? I hear it has a 3D mode of sorts, and other stuff reminiscent of DB.

Heh, I think I make more stuff for Doom than I actually play it. Maybe it's a good thing so much of it remains unreleased. :P

I guess I'm just one of those odd types who has plenty of releases where only a small majority actually have maps. As for plain mapping, I never really got 'in' to it until whenever 32in24-6 was. I'm still trying to hack together something notable that doesn't have any new weapons in it and isn't a jokewad or Lost Episode. :P

I usually play Doom, mostly online. I've got all kinds of map scraps saved, of which I have four or five (almost) complete maps that don't suck. One of these (and an additional half map in progress) is/are for a Skulltag idea I had recently. If I ever make at least three maps for it, I'll make a dedicated thread for it.

I enjoy poking around in others' creations in SlumpED to figure stuff out. If you want to map, learn by example. Use Doom Builder and SlumpED to see how someone did a neat effect.

I first got into Doom around the time Jaguar Doom was released and played constantly until not long after Quake was released. I dabbled a bit with WADEd during this time but mainly doing thing replacements on the existing IWADs.

I got back into it around the time I registered on Doomworld primarily for mapping but I've not released much. I mostly play co-op now. I think I spend most of my "Doom-time" reading the forums than playing or being constructive!

After years of playing, I wanted to try and make a map myself. Downloaded Doombuilder, read the tutorial, didnt follow it, and BAM!, a not that good map.

I enjoy making maps, and I will continue making some, but for some reason its a seasonal joy, lol. I just dont have the inspiration during spring and summer.

well I play many games, but I try to map for them all. I am best at doom mapping, I make my own starcraft map aswell, and Im trying to make some real 3D stuff and, it works. lately my mapping has gone slowly beacuse of not enough time spent on it. quakelive ftw.

I mainly play Doom, I do map but I almost never release any maps or mods I make.
I started mapping late 2007 and started playing Doom when it was first released.

I've tried mapping before, but some people liked my first map too much so now I can't make another one because people would expect it to be good. I prefer to spend my Doom time playing the stuff that everybody else makes. I'm also a relentless critic and analyst, which could be called "contribution" if you're feeling charitable.

Creaphis said:

some people liked my first map too much so now I can't make another one because people would expect it to be good

Bullshit, it's refreshing to sometimes release crappy maps, and if someone doesn't like it that's their problem. Didn't pcorf have a pretty dire jokewad binge too? And no one cares about that today. Besides you never know what other people like, I whipped this shit up in a few hours as an inside joke with Maes and much to my surprise some people apparently liked it.

I had always wanted to add reloading to Doom, so I opened up others' wads in SLumpEd to see how they do it. Then I added NashGore and terrain.wad and some Realm667 stuff and BAM! Generic Enhancement Mod for Doom #24609734.

Mainly a player, contributed...twice but nothing really outstanding. |:

EDIT: Yay for a month old bump i guess.

I map, but due to lack of creativity all the bits I build are usually copied (sometimes sub-conciously) from good maps I have played recently.

I'm pretty much mostly only a player whether its multiplayer or singleplayer. I dont really ever have fun mapping or coding or whatever for doom and as it's my free time I use on it I'd prefer if I had fun playing it than anything else.

Played doom in 1995 or 1996, but started mapping in 1999.

Too make pretty much 11 years to make a wad that i plan on releasing soon. I always undertake impossibly massive projects and end up quitting.