Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

Are all you Doomworlders mappers/modders?

Mattfrie1 said:

Nope. I'm part of the audience that mappers and modders release their work to.

Took the words right out of mouth, I always seemed to run into problems when mapping with Doom Builder 2 as well, even when I do follow tutorials.

Maybe once I find out how to get a working door, I'll probably start to map.

Everyone should know how to make a door at some point in their life.

40oz said:

an img

You forgot to mention checking 'lower unpegged' on the 'hinges' to keep them from sliding up with the door ;p

Mostly Modder/Programmer at the moment. I've worked with the Unreal engine as well, and for Doom & Unreal I never got into map making. To be honest, I think I would enjoy map-making if I gave it a shot.

I need to play more often when I get spare time, since there is a huge backlog of wads I need to get through.

40oz said:

When you create a new sector inside an other one that "splits" the original into parts, like that door does, does DB2 make the separate frames into two different sectors? Or does it behave like DB1 which keeps them as parts of the same sector? In DB1 I prefer to do the frames separately because you never know if you'll be using different light levels or textures.

Started playing Doom back in 1995 or 1996 but I came in very late into the modding scene back in 2001. I have tried mapping a few times but most of the time the maps end up looking like crap. :/

I map, although I'm very slow at it and get distracted easily...I have completed a couple of maps and have a whole bunch on my computer, some of which are actually pretty decent, which remain unfinished. I plan to get at least the better of them done and released. I will go long periods without mapping, though...usually I'll start getting into Commander Keen modding in the interim (I'm much the same way with Keen mods that I am with Doom maps...I have a couple finished and a bunch of half-mods lying around) or simply get caught up in other things.

I use to map back in 97-98 with some of the older editors such as DEU and DCK. Stopped around 99 or so and haven't touched an editor since.

I had heard of Doom but never got around to playing it 'til 1997; with Doom II following in 1998. I've only been mapping since early November 2009 and I've made about 55+ maps with a megawad that hopefully will be completed soon enough for playtesting. Never released anything yet (except a few maps I contributed to a couple projects).

Jodwin said:

When you create a new sector inside an other one that "splits" the original into parts, like that door does, does DB2 make the separate frames into two different sectors? Or does it behave like DB1 which keeps them as parts of the same sector? In DB1 I prefer to do the frames separately because you never know if you'll be using different light levels or textures.

You have two ways of doing it, that I can think of:

1) Draw left door line, end drawing. Draw right door line, end drawing. Immediate result is three separate sectors for the door and each side's frame.

2) Draw entire door shape (all four lines), end drawing. Immediate result is two sectors; one for the door and one for both frames.

You can easily split the two frames into separate sectors by pressing X (or whatever you have bound to Create Sector mode) and then clicking inside one of them.

And 40oz, you also forgot to mention that the door lines that you give the action specials to need to face outwards so you can press them without being inside the door (just press F to flip them if you drew it in the opposite direction.)

Out of habit i always draw my door sectors counter-clockwise. And yes I totally forgot about lower unpegging the door tracks. I always forget that until I look at my map in 3d mode.

Amateur mapper here, haven't released any yet. I really enjoy mapping, but I find the way textures move with floors and ceilings incredibly annoying. I have to force myself not to add textures too soon or else I waste all of my time aligning surfaces that I'll be moving later anyway.

40oz said:

And yes I totally forgot about lower unpegging the door tracks.

You can always be like me and refuse to unpeg doortraks in your levels, resulting in lots of grimacing nitpickers :P

I've tried a bit of both, but not to much success. My maps were so bad you'd think they were jokewads, and my mods are only slight reskins of the weapons, and a couple music/sound replacement mods that rarely get used and can't get uploaded anywhere because then I'd be breaking copyright laws.

I may try mapping again, I haven't attempted in years. Maybe this time I'll actually make something playable.

Other than that I play and do a handful of let's plays, which in the case of Doom mods thus far have been pretty bad and riddled with Doom Comic references.

All player here. Between work and school as well as all the other video games that I play, I have never devoted enough time to mapping to make anything out of it. I would like to some day get good at it but I can't find a way to divulge the time for it.