Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vorpal

Lost Soul Blockage

I've never been a huge fan of Lost Souls, as their unreliable attack behavior always confused me. I've read here that items will block them, but is that all? It has also seemed to me in the past, that various linedefs will also stop their attack, but I don't know why (or maybe I'm totally mis-remembering and they were indeed getting stuck on items).

Yeah, from a design standpoint, I often refrain from using them because I don't know exactly why they always stop their attack mid-flight.

Though now that I want to replicate this in order to figure it out, they seem to be behaving and biting my ass consistently ;-P

They are blocked by pick-up items, for some silly reason. Don't place items in the open where LS may be hanging around.

Using them in combination with zombiemen, shotgun guys, and chaingun guys would be a bad idea for the same reason. I made a thread in the editing forum that talks about using lost souls in the best fashions.

While I usually do have such factors in mind, I wouldn't nit pick about this too much. Lost souls are more like obstacles than monsters and a lost soul in a place where it may get intercepted by items occasionally can still be a threat or annoyance to a degree. It's not like I won't place monsters anywhere near doors just because they can occasionally get stuck on them. Also, putting a monster in a confined area will make it attack less, because it's more likely to continue trying to move when it hits a barrier. Place a monster on a pillar and you'll note it attacks less often than one on a large platform or on level ground. DOOM is a game with many such conditional situations. If we start removing a series of possibilities just because the items aren't being used optimally, the game starts to get predictable.

Monsters getting stuck or being less threatening due to the context can simply be considered when judging game balance. A level where monsters get stuck more often may need somewhat less health than one where most of the monsters are hindered less, for example. Play testing is the best judge there.

Was just playing some episode 4, and noticed Lost Souls trying to attack me, but would get interrupted in a doorway and have to enter the doorway at their normal wander-speed before being able to ram me in the face.

I wonder if maybe they just have an awkward height to them? Perhaps their height setting is significantly higher than their graphic. Will fiddle around with this later... got to memorize a speech >.<

Indeed, they are 56 units tall to the engine but their sprite is somewhat shorter, 40-something, I think.