Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

There is a possibility that Rage will require STEAM to work

Before anything else gets said it should be pointed out right away that this is only a rumor and a realistic possibility and not a fact since this hasn't been confirmed by either STEAM nor Id Software. However, according to the Escapist the possibility that Rage will require STEAM in order to run has become real:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102936-Rumor-Rage-to-Use-Steamworks

While I personally have a STEAM account and a considerable number of games on it, I must say that I am getting very annoyed by how companies have started to literally force the service on you. If I have the option of buying the game on a game disc free of STEAM then I don't mind that other people can use STEAM instead if they want to do so, but as of lately it now seems that big publishers have started to demand you use STEAM regardless of where you got your game, BioShock 3 and Civilization 5 are just 2 examples of upcoming high profile games that will require STEAM even though none of their famous predecessors did.

Now like I said, this is only a unconfirmed rumor, but I will still be disappointed in Id Software if this turns out to be true since I was under the impression that the company was above forcing a service into peoples throats like the other big game developers/publishers are doing.

Discuss.

hardcore_gamer said:

The possibility of Rage requiring STEAM or Rage using STEAM?

The possibility of it requiring it. Steam is a good idea but having to constantly wait for it to boot up just to play a game is a hassle.

fatal error said:

The possibility of it requiring it. Steam is a good idea but having to constantly wait for it to boot up just to play a game is a hassle.

On my connection it takes roughly 12 seconds, and my connection isn't even that fast. My biggest problem with Rage requiring STEAM doesn't really have as much to do with the actual STEAM service as much as it has to do with the fact that people aren't given the option of not using it if they don't want to.

fatal error said:

That' an old complaint that the majority has adjusted (bent over) to.

hardcore_gamer said:

On my connection it takes roughly 12 seconds, and my connection isn't even that fast. My biggest problem with Rage requiring STEAM doesn't really have as much to do with the actual STEAM service as much as it has to do with the fact that people aren't given the option of not using it if they don't want to.

That is probably my biggest issue to, my previous complaint was just because my pc sucks :(

Technician said:

That' an old complaint that the majority has adjusted (bent over) to.

That is because a great deal has changed when STEAM was launched in 2004 (it was launched in 2004, right?). I mean that was 6 fucking years ago, and since then getting access to a high speed internet connection isn't anywhere near as difficult as it was. I personally don't know anyone with a PC that doesn't also have access to at least a reasonably past internet connection anymore.

Sure there are still some people here and there who still can't use STEAM, but its hard to blame Valve for not treating the handful few that still live in the stone age as priority customers.

hardcore_gamer said:

That is because a great deal has changed when STEAM was launched in 2004 (it was launched in 2004, right?). I mean that was 6 fucking years ago, and since then getting access to a high speed internet connection isn't anywhere near as difficult as it was. I personally don't know anyone with a PC that doesn't also have access to at least a reasonably past internet connection anymore.

Sure there are still some people here and there who still can't use STEAM, but its hard to blame Valve for not treating the handful few that still live in the stone age as priority customers.

My pc can run steam, just not perfectly. But with all of these updates I wonder how long it will take for steam to surpass my pc's ability to run it. A recent update put it at a resolution slightly bigger than my screen for example.

fatal error said:

Its one o dem lil' netbooks :P

Netbooks are stupid. Any time you try and do anything more demanding than YouTube they are slow as hell.

That said, shame on Valve for not realizing that Steam needs to be resolution independent just like their games now are. This causes issues on big screens too. Steam is really fucking difficult to read.

As for this, I say meh. Having more games use Steam is better than everything having its own DRM, its own voip setup, its own friends list, etc, etc. Things that smash crappier services like GameSpy Arcade in the face are also nice.

But netbooks are cool! When you put DOS and a bunch of old games on them, of course.

I doubt anyone will make a DOS Rage, though, so the point is moot here. ;P

Aliotroph? said:

Netbooks are stupid. Any time you try and do anything more demanding than YouTube they are slow as hell.

My Asus 1201n isn't too bad. Besides, I don't like carrying around a heavy desktop replacement in my backpack all day.

exp(x) said:

My Asus 1201n isn't too bad. Besides, I don't like carrying around a heavy desktop replacement in my backpack all day.

this. I love fast laptops, but for school, netbooks are king.

Just wait for a "steambackup" crack. Problem solved.

Pfft, I get all my PC games off Steam anyway so I'm not worried. They tend to be a a lot cheaper than what you'd get them for in stores anyway.

I personally don't know anyone with a PC that doesn't also have access to at least a reasonably past internet connection anymore.

If only you just needed a reasonably good internet connection to do anything fast and reliably all the time ; however, regardless of how good your connection is it just takes one middle man between you and the servers to screw up everything.

Steam sometimes launches in 5 seconds for me, some other days it takes minutes. Getting another Internet provider wouldn't necessarily fix this and would lower performance in other aspects.

Good thing this whole thread is pointless as Rage won't be a Steam exclusive. We're talking about id (and incidentally Zenimax), not some random indie crew of 3 people.

Phml said:
Good thing this whole thread is pointless as Rage won't be a Steam exclusive. We're talking about id (and incidentally Zenimax), not some random indie crew of 3 people.

You should read the article again:

Article said:
Rage is a game made by id, published by Bethesda

Article said:
The page is hardly conclusive evidence by itself, but when combined with the fact that Fallout: New Vegas and Brink - two other Bethesda published games- will also use the system, along with lead designer Matt Hooper's comments that gamers would be pleased by Rage's DRM solution, it certainly suggests that the system is at least a likely contender

Enjay said:

No RAGE for me then I guess.

No more Id games for you in general then if this turns out to be true. If Rage goes STEAM only then there is no reason to assume that the rest of Id Software's future tittles won't fallow the same policy.

While it's not my favorite means of getting and running games, ever since I started using it I find that steam isn't actually all that bad.

hardcore_gamer said:

You should read the article again:

No more Id games for you in general then if this turns out to be true. If Rage goes STEAM only then there is no reason to assume that the rest of Id Software's future tittles won't fallow the same policy.

Whatever. Doom 4 will be mine, whether it has StEAM or not.

Krispavera said:

I don't think you'll be playing Rage on a netbook so no worries there!

true, but it can still play all the half life games up to half life 2 :D

hardcore_gamer said:

No more Id games for you in general then if this turns out to be true.

To be fair, if id still were the exciting, revolutionary game pioneers that they used to be, that thought may bother me. However, they're not and it doesn't.

Didn't I say this would be the measure of whether id really sold out or not? I can't believe they think that we will tolerate DRM in their products for one fucking second. Fuck that shit, and fuck them for caving to it.

No one cares about you whiners, everything is being made with cash in mind. Live with it because no one from ID/Bethesda/Zenimax will hear you. Steam while is not a bad DRM but I bet it's used mostly.. for bigger sales considering how much people use Steam so it's basically free advertisement.