Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

The most unique easter egg you've seen in a game.

There's one of those "you're not supposed to be here" secrets in the 3rd episode of Quake 1 MP1 (Scourge of Armagon)'s first map (cable cars)...climb up the mountains and it sends the above message and a load of spike mines at you.

But the thing is you can get there without cheating.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

There's one of those "you're not supposed to be here" secrets in the 3rd episode of Quake 1 MP1 (Scourge of Armagon)'s first map (cable cars)...climb up the mountains and it sends the above message and a load of spike mines at you.

Huh, in duke nukem by the helicopter in that one level it says "your not supposed to be here either." written back words and floating in the air.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Heh, I actually found that on my first run, somehow. I didn't think that secret was hidden -that- well. :P

Lorenzo said:

The Picard joke in Duke Nukem 3D, indeed.

Duke Nukem had a few good ones. There was a "you're not supposed to be here - LL" written on the wall in this tiny alcove that you can find in the big lava pit at the end of the first episode, if you use the jetpack. There was the obelisk from 2001 complete with the weird humming noise, and the dead Luke Skywalker hanging from the ceiling in the same level. There was the impaled Indiana Jones "We meet again, Doctor Jones!", the crushed Terminator on the secret level in episode 3, and of course the "Doomed Space Marine".

I personally love the secret Max character in Star Wars Jedi Knight, my fave easter egg. There is also the Alien easter egg in Carnivores 2 (Maya Jungle map, there is a cave full of Alien Eggs, no facehuggers though). The Duke Nukem Easter eggs yes, like the Space MArine, John Romero in Doom 2 and the Wolf maps were kinda cool. Oh, and there is this other really fun one I like in Star Wars Mysteries of the Sith where you encounter a room full of "Dancing" Droids. Epic to watch.

Danarchy said:

There was the obelisk from 2001 complete with the weird humming noise, and the dead Luke Skywalker hanging from the ceiling in the same level.

Damn which level was that? I don't remember ever seeing those...

In just about every kirby game, there's a way to get to a special credits room or similar place where "HAL" is written. I stumbled upon it by accident when I was a child and thought I broke the game.

Mattfrie1 said:

TOASTY!

Definitely the best of the best of the best, sir.

With honors.

Catoptromancy said:

In Fallout 2 I stumbled across the Knights who say NI!

Yeah, I was about to talk about Fallout and FO2. They are jam PACKED with cultural references and wonderful easter eggs. My favorites include the Bridge with the Bridgekeeper that asks you three questions, and if you answer the third with a question he blows up and you get some sweet robes and the Holy Handgrenade of Antioch. And, honestly, there's just so many others that it's hard to pick.

Danarchy said:

Duke Nukem had a few good ones. There was a "you're not supposed to be here - LL" written on the wall in this tiny alcove that you can find in the big lava pit at the end of the first episode, if you use the jetpack. There was the obelisk from 2001 complete with the weird humming noise, and the dead Luke Skywalker hanging from the ceiling in the same level. There was the impaled Indiana Jones "We meet again, Doctor Jones!", the crushed Terminator on the secret level in episode 3, and of course the "Doomed Space Marine".

There were also the HAL-9000 computer panels, the docked ship in E2M1 that says "USS Framerate" on the back, the "I ain't afraid of no Quake" line, O.J. Simpson being chased on TV screens,

All of E2M3 was basically an egg. The map is shaped roughly like the Enterprise from Star Trek. It even has its various rooms in roughly the correct place. To top it off they put in that wicked secret leading to the bridge of the Enterprise and then the further secret with Picard's "really ready room."

The monolith from 2001 is in E2M8. It's the huge lunar level with the trains and canyon.

E3M1's music is obviously Bobby Prince poking fun at the end credits music from Blade Runner. I never did figure out if that was just him goofing around or whether it was supposed to tie into the theme of the map (possibly the Japanese club setting?).

Diablo II's Cow Level for ascending from an urban myth to a real easter egg. Coincidentally, the level is (was?) a really good spot to grind experience.

The truck in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. For those who don't know, near the ship that you must board in the game, there's a truck that you can only get to by surfing, which isn't possible during at that time in normal play, as getting the "plot token" from the ship needed for advancing in the game results in the ship leaving forever, and the harbor closed. The truck itself is an unique overworld sprite found nowhere else in the game, and has absolutely no function. Lots of rumors appeared involving the truck, most of them said that using Strength on it would result in something cool. Nothing happens, of course.
The remakes referenced this. The truck is still there in the same place, but there's a hidden cookie near it.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Damn which level was that? I don't remember ever seeing those...

E2L8, I think.

Aliotroph? said:

There were also the HAL-9000 computer panels, the docked ship in E2M1 that says "USS Framerate" on the back, the "I ain't afraid of no Quake" line, O.J. Simpson being chased on TV screens,

All of E2M3 was basically an egg. The map is shaped roughly like the Enterprise from Star Trek. It even has its various rooms in roughly the correct place. To top it off they put in that wicked secret leading to the bridge of the Enterprise and then the further secret with Picard's "really ready room."

The monolith from 2001 is in E2M8. It's the huge lunar level with the trains and canyon.

E3M1's music is obviously Bobby Prince poking fun at the end credits music from Blade Runner. I never did figure out if that was just him goofing around or whether it was supposed to tie into the theme of the map (possibly the Japanese club setting?).

I missed a couple of those myself. Now I'm going to have to go back and play the game again. :P

I guess it's technically not an easter Egg as it required a clipping code: In the first level of Redneck Rampage there was a blocked off road. You clip through it and there's writing which read, "Did you really think this road went anywhere you dumbass?"

Or something to that effect. Been a long time since I booted that game up.

Danarchy said:

I missed a couple of those myself. Now I'm going to have to go back and play the game again. :P

Same here, lol. The enterprise? :P

Mr. Freeze said:

The basketball court in Deus Ex.

SIGN HIM UP FOR THE KNICKS!

Edit for content: Gorden Freeman in STALKER

Clonehunter said:

Same here, lol. The enterprise? :P

Yeah, never noticed that one myself. I mean, I found the bridge, but I never really paid any attention to the level's layout.

how about those Serious Sam games? and that phone box which you call and talk to yourself later on in the game. and then later on when you actually get there, you call yourself back in the past.

Duke Nukem and Blood had some good ones.

Metal Gear Solid is made of Easter Eggs.

Urban Brawl 1 and 2 is also made of awesome Easter Eggs and in-jokes.

Doom 3 end level, where you see the names of the creators of the game or something different. I can't clearly remember right now.

Big Red Racing had a bit of an obvious one where you'd race Minis in Italy, complete with a coach hanging over a cliff and a sewers run, as I remember it.