Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade

Having a problem with my map

I just started making maps a few days ago, and i started having a trouble. Its from Zdoom in Hexen Format, and well, The picture in the link will show it better then i can explain

http://i38.tinypic.com/2ia8peh.jpg

Basically, theres meant to be two imps in front of me, i checked, they arent invisible or anything, they are there, they are attacking me when i took the screenshot. Im sinking into the floor too, enemies and items have vanished. Its in skulltag, but i tried it in zdoom too and it screws up as well.

Im not too sure what i can do to fix it, its really confusing.

Few more pictures to show what im talking about. this is actually affecting the whole level.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/ziroban/Screenshot_Doom_20100822_211113.png?t=1282477837
Shows the 'invisible' imps

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/ziroban/Screenshot_Doom_20100822_211221.png?t=1282477867
This outdoor area is fully decorated with trees and enemies, yet none of them are appearing, you can only attack the enemies if you walk over them.

I've seen that before, though usually only affecting one or two sectors - never an entire map. Probably something to do with ZDoom's internal node builder, which version are you using and has anyone else tested the map?

I'm using the lates version of doom builder 2, with Zennode, and no one has tested the map. Its actually strange, it happened a few times, so i undid some changes and it went back to normal. Now, however, i cant put down any new items without it doing it. Its impossible to win like this, theres nowhere near enough ammo to survive. I was hoping there would be an easy way to fix it...im absolutely hopeless when it comes to the technical stuff of the editor.

I can probably put it on megaupload and see if someone can figure it out when they get time if its not against the rules of the forum.

GreyGhost said:

I've seen that before, though usually only affecting one or two sectors - never an entire map. Probably something to do with ZDoom's internal node builder, which version are you using and has anyone else tested the map?

It also does the same thing under Skulltag.

Phade said:

I can probably put it on megaupload and see if someone can figure it out when they get time if its not against the rules of the forum.

No problem if it's your own work and doesn't contain contentious copyrighted material or stuff you wouldn't want your mother to see/hear.

GreyGhost said:

No problem if it's your own work and doesn't contain contentious copyrighted material or stuff you wouldn't want your mother to see/hear.

Actually, everytime it happens while im editting, i create a 32x32 square box off the map and it fixes it. Maybe its an issue with the nodebuilder as you said.

That's a novel solution, is Doom Builder finding any errors? It'd be worth your while to check the ZDoom forums, if it's an unreported bug and repeatable I'm sure they'd like to hear about it.

That's funny, I've also heard about someone else who's map did funky like this. When he changed nodebuilder, it was fixed.

I have updated the shipped nodebuilders with the latest DB2 release, but Zennode didn't have a newer version. Odd stuff.

If you can make it reproducable, please provide clear steps to reproduce this so that I can see this myself.

If you're mapping for ZDoom, you really have no reason not to use ZDBSP.

An error like this has never come across me, but maybe will - I don't know whether I'm also using the "latest" version or not. If the latest version's release date is later than July, 2009 (when I downloaded DBuilder II), it's certainly not the one I'm using.
This error must be annoying but looks quite interesting - reminds me that "Illusio-pit" from WOW.wad. A screen like this can occur when you make a pit with no side textures and the pit's bottom is lower than you can see it from the surface. The non-textured pit sides are overrided by the flat texture, so it seems to be part of the floor. When it's wider than 32x32 mappixels (Doomguy's width), the player "sinks" into and till he doesn't "sink" lower his seeing horizont, he keeps seeing the floor like this. If he sinks lower, the nontexture shows up as an ugly HOM effect.

On the other hand, your map looks quite good and interesting. You may have a talent in making levels, so that's a pity that such an irritating error came across you.

GreyGhost said:

That's a novel solution, is Doom Builder finding any errors? It'd be worth your while to check the ZDoom forums, if it's an unreported bug and repeatable I'm sure they'd like to hear about it.

nah, everytime i finish a room i do the map analysis. Its fine now, whenever it happens i just make another 32x32 square off the map and it fixes it. I've nearly finished, just got to get through the last room, and put it up for testing.

Im now using ZDBSP Nodebuilder, and it still does the same thing.

Ill finish this last room, add all the things i need to add and we'll see how we go.

I don't actually think it is the nodebuilder. (Though knowing nothing about the technical aspects, I could be way off with that.)

Though I have had something very similar happen to me.

How I managed it was by using the wrong ACC download from here and adding it to my DB1 folder. (If I remember rightly, either of the two newest versions caused this to happen.) When I loaded up the levels I was working on, I got a result very similar to what is being described. In addition, I could see every monster on the level from the start, like every 'thing' on the level had sunk through the floor and was now sitting at the one height, instead of sitting on the floor at different heights.

Kyka said:

I don't actually think it is the nodebuilder. (Though knowing nothing about the technical aspects, I could be way off with that.)

Though I have had something very similar happen to me.

How I managed it was by using the wrong ACC download from here and adding it to my DB1 folder. (If I remember rightly, either of the two newest versions caused this to happen.) When I loaded up the levels I was working on, I got a result very similar to what is being described. In addition, I could see every monster on the level from the start, like every 'thing' on the level had sunk through the floor and was now sitting at the one height, instead of sitting on the floor at different heights.

Thats exactly the problem i have. I used NOCLIP and i saw that everything was in the level, just below the floor.

Just started a new map using Skulltag(Doom in Hexen Format) And i just started getting the exact same problem. *******ely isnt the nodebuilder. Any ideas?

If you could write clear steps to reproduce, without assuming that we know what you're thinking or doing on your screen, we could try to help. Those responsible for the problem could fix it. If it is a problem with Doom Builder, I will fix it. But before I can do that, I have to see the problem for myself, preferably on my computer.

CodeImp said:

If you could write clear steps to reproduce, without assuming that we know what you're thinking or doing on your screen, we could try to help. Those responsible for the problem could fix it. If it is a problem with Doom Builder, I will fix it. But before I can do that, I have to see the problem for myself, preferably on my computer.

To the best of my knowledge, here are the things I did to cause this problem. (I should note that this bug occurred for me in ZDoom(Doom in Hexen) format, which was the only format that I was using around that time. I do not know whether it will occur in other formats or not.

I will set out as much detail as I can. No idea whether this is relevant but the system I was running had a standard XP windows setup.

I can't try replicating the bug at the moment, as that computer is dead, and I am running currently DB2 on a Vista system. I tried to replicate the issue, but am having a hard time making DB1 run on this system.

Anyway, here is what I did to cause the problem last time.

1)running DB1 on a standard XP comp. (with a downloaded acc.acs pack added in. This download was much older than the three currently listed on the DRD team website)
2)downloaded whatever were the most recent ACC versions from here (This would have been in May or June, several months ago, so whatever were the most recent downloads at that time.)
3)replaced the default files with the 4 new files in the downloaded version. (zcommon.acs zdefs.acs zspecal.acs zwvars.acs).
4)Loaded up the maps I was working on. (At that time there were 6 finished maps in my project.) I worked on two of the maps for a while, writing new ACS, and doing all the usual things you do with DB, and saved all the work that I did.
4)When I loaded up the maps in ZDoom, I discovered the fault as mentioned in this thread. I don't know whether this is relevant or not, but the fault only affected the two maps I had worked on since overwriting the acs files. The other 4 maps were completely unaffected and perfectly playable, if I IDCLEV'd to those levels instead.
5)At that time, whatever the two newest acc.acs files both caused this problem, as I tried both of them. Finding this problem, I simply went back to my earlier DB1 setup with an acs file added that I had downloaded much earlier (Probably around 6 months earlier than that.) Returning to this earlier acc.acs pack fixed the problem completely.

Sorry I should have reported this much earlier. The reason I didn't was because I just assumed that it was me who had done something wrong, and it didn't really occur to me that it might have been a actual bug. Well not until I read this thread anyway and saw that this same thing was happening to other people.

I know my recreation of the bug is not very precise, but it is the best I can do at this point.

If it helps any, I am happy to send a copy of my project to the relevant people, as these were the levels that definitely triggered this bug.

I had a pile of screenshots that I took, but as these are sitting on my old comp that is currently dead, I am not able to post them.

Hope this turns out to be of some use, at least.

im not really sure what i did. I am using the latest version of doombuilder. I several large rooms, added textures and things, and it did it. The things and such are below the map, and when i walk, i do not go up or down hills, i am stuck on a single height. My apologies CodeImp, Im new to making doom maps, so im not really sure how im doing it.

Sorry, I don't debug Doom Builder 1 anymore. And when I try doing the same thing with DB2 it works fine for me. :\

Phade said:

The things and such are below the map, and when i walk, i do not go up or down hills, i am stuck on a single height.

A bug that creates Wolf 3D maps - this I have to see. Could you post your wad (in one or more of it's broken states) on a file sharing service so we can see first-hand what's going on? For Doom-related stuff you can use the DRD Team Share Space instead of an advert-laden commercial server.

GreyGhost said:

A bug that creates Wolf 3D maps - this I have to see. Could you post your wad (in one or more of it's broken states) on a file sharing service so we can see first-hand what's going on? For Doom-related stuff you can use the DRD Team Share Space instead of an advert-laden commercial server.

alright, here we go.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ibwap

Links at the bottom of the page. Sorry if its not a great site, I couldnt use the DRD team one. If its not broken for you, then its probably an issue with doom builder?

Map works fine for me, though at the moment I'm restricted to my old laptop which lacks the grunt required to run DB2. If I can get on my desktop over the weekend I'll see if the map behaves any differently. Which releases of Skulltag and ZDoom are you using?

GreyGhost said:

Map works fine for me, though at the moment I'm restricted to my old laptop which lacks the grunt required to run DB2. If I can get on my desktop over the weekend I'll see if the map behaves any differently. Which releases of Skulltag and ZDoom are you using?

Im about to update to the latest zdoom and skulltag, hopefully that'll work. Its amazing how the most simplest of things can screw me over.

Works fine in ZDoom 2.2.0 and 2.4.0, Skulltag 0.97D3 is bugged. I'd say it's probably something ACS related like Kyka has been telling all the time.

Jodwin said:

Works fine in ZDoom 2.2.0 and 2.4.0, Skulltag 0.97D3 is bugged. I'd say it's probably something ACS related like Kyka has been telling all the time.

I was just worried only i was having the problem. I should be able to manage a fix eventually i think. The computer i use for editing is good, but its really buggy and probably needs a reformat. I'll try my laptop.