Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hekksy

Odamex 0.5 officially released

Two years after the last major version release, Odamex 0.5.0 has been released. This new version of Odamex introduces dozens of bug fixes, new features, and useful optimizations for server administrators and players alike.

Improved netplay will be the most noticable optimizations for most users in Odamex 0.5. Default rate caps have been raised for both client and server which allows for bandwidth intensive coop games (Scythe 2 Map25 for instance) and large ffa games. In theory, a non-coop server with appropriate bandwidth would be able to host almost a hundred players without issue. While that may sound excessive, it just shows what Odamex is now capable of. Other changes made are related to various map and item/weapon desyncs. Odamex 0.5.0 includes an improved server protocol as well as an updated launcher interface.

Along with a more detailed explanation of the changes that have come with Odamex 0.5 is some information about bugs still existing for Windows Vista/7 users (along with suggested work arounds) and details on how to get more involved with the Odamex project. The Odamex team encourages an open, interactive community that helps each other and, in turn, helps the project. Go grab Odamex 0.5 now to begin playing today!

So, if I play Odamex, will I experience vanilla-like multiplayer gameplay, with no bullcrap like freelook, jumping and so on, that would make Doom imitate Quake? I'm especially interested so I CANNOT make rockets hit the ground, I CANNOT get easy BFG sprays etc.

printz said:

So, if I play Odamex, will I experience vanilla-like multiplayer gameplay, with no bullcrap like freelook, jumping and so on, that would make Doom imitate Quake? I'm especially interested so I CANNOT make rockets hit the ground, I CANNOT get easy BFG sprays etc.

These options exist in Odamex but are disabled on almost all of the servers. Out of the box settings have all of these things disabled.

I will likely be organizing large ffa events on weekends soon so if you don't get an opportunity to give it a shot before then, hopefully you can pop in for one of these events and experience Doom the way it was supposed to be played (the exception being a much higher player count) :)

For those of you who are on the fence about Odamex, I used to have the worst kind of connection issues with it, with lag and disconnections all over the place. Those kinds of issues have vanished with 0.5 (I've been playing SVN releases over the past week or two), and it's rock solid these days.

printz said:

Unfortunately, you can still change your player color to something other than green/indigo/brown/red and there are more than four players on a server. It also supports crosshairs and resolutions bigger than 320x200. So no. :)

(By the way, not being able to aim the BFG ball vertically using freelook is a standard feature on practically any port.)

Hmm, I first read "This new version of Odamex introduces dozens of bugs..." Hell of an announcement, that. ;)

Nonseriousness aside, I'm itching to give this guy a try now, considering my recent Chocolate Doom wad-playing spree has softened my mouselook habits.

Awesome I may have to give this a try. I enjoy skulltag but its compatibility just isn't what I'm looking for. I've used Odamex a little in the past and I will give it another go.

I just wish the servers were more active than they are because playing Multiplayer doom as classically as possible is just a great experience.

Congratulations on the new release, fellas. Odamex feels a lot nicer to me compared to Skulltag and Zdaemon, and reminds me of my old CSDoom 0.6 and 0.7 days.

Now all that is needed is for every server to be running dwango5...

...with a tntblood or tntgrvnc server here and there.

=D