Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

Coolest Dooming moment ever...

So today I was playing a level, and as the thread title suggests, I had something pretty neat happen.

I was getting flamed by an archvile. Archvile completes its attack, which throws me through the air and, as it would happen, onto a teleporter. Now this archvile just happened to be standing on the exit point for this particular teleport, so uber telefrag.

It was virtually instantaneous.

Archvile blast --> teleport noise --> archvile death sound --> me wondering what happened for a second. --> profit.

So what are your coolest Dooming moments ever?

Wow, that's win.

I can't remember my best... I've lucked out so many times for stupid things that it's hard to recall them all.

running from a 5+ seeker missile bunch and having them end up 1hitting a baron was pretty funny though.

While playing NJDoom, seeing a baron explode a barrel, and it hurt another baron. So they scratched out their differences.

Or the moment long ago, when I first faced the big badasses on Phobos Anomaly.

And my coolest moment since getting into editing was probably the first time clawing my way up to uppercut a cyberdemon face with wolverine claws, or getting the rage working.

my coolest dooming moment ever was when I played it for the first time! freshly and boldly entering e1m1 for the first time... changed my life forever! thats by far the coolest moment ever.

yeah... beat that. :D

An Arch-Vile setting its flaming attack on me, but getting injured by some Mancubi behind it and finishes the attack on one of them instead.

Experiencing that Pain Elementals can't spawn Lost Souls if they are just besides me. Or killing them in a very narrow place, causing all 3 Lost Souls spawn "inside" the wall and die. Even more fun is telefragging Pain Elementals!

The one I've experienced nowadays is running amongst four enraged Cybies with 1% life, when a Megasphere pops out from nowhere! Uhh, what a relief!

As Erik Alm once said, we tend to remember our bad luck moments rather than good luck. I tried to think about something unusual in terms of pseudo-random number generator "working" in my favour. I recall fighting revenants with fists (having picked up a berserk pack) and killing 4 revenants with 8 punches on Plutonia 2, MAP04. The chances are 2/1000 if I count well.

my momewnt must have been at a ZDaemon moment. CTF and I lagged so much at the moment that it didnt become a weakness: defending the flag with a SG +5 kill streak. KILLING SPREE!

Mine was finishing the Post Mortem level of Alien Vendetta. It will be even cooler when I finish it in vanilla without any saving. Sigh.

Kyka said:

So today I was playing a level, and as the thread title suggests, I had something pretty neat happen.

I was getting flamed by an archvile. Archvile completes its attack, which throws me through the air and, as it would happen, onto a teleporter. Now this archvile just happened to be standing on the exit point for this particular teleport, so uber telefrag.

It was virtually instantaneous.

Archvile blast --> teleport noise --> archvile death sound --> me wondering what happened for a second. --> profit.

So what are your coolest Dooming moments ever?

That's awesome. Yesterday I was playtesting a map I'm working on and an Archvile revived a baron a split second before the Archvile died. Realistically, the baron shouldn't have gotten revived, since the arch vile had only just begun to revive the baron when it died. It was such a WTF? moment to see the baron suddenly upright; a last gas by the Archvile.

I was backstrafing from revenant fireballs and somehow ended up right into a cybie rocket. My corpse slided to the exit and completed the level. At the time I didn't even know about death slides or stuff like that, so it felt quite nice.

Accidentally discovering that revenant missiles can enter a stable orbit around you...

On co-op we had several revenant fireballs orbiting corpses. I don't know if it is a regular occurance but I thought it was cute. Almost made me want to run into it out of sympathy.

Dragonsbrethren said:

The one (and only) time I saw the all ghosts bug.

This.
Also, my first encounter with a ghost demon on -fast was particularly creepy and memorable.

CODOR said:

Accidentally discovering that revenant missiles can enter a stable orbit around you...

that's a good one.

Dragonsbrethren said:

The one (and only) time I saw the all ghosts bug.

Wow, reading up on that bug it sounds pretty wonky.

Anyone have a demo/demonstration level of the all ghost bug? And if the player is a ghost himself, does he still clip to things as normal?

Phml said:

I was backstrafing from revenant fireballs and somehow ended up right into a cybie rocket. My corpse slided to the exit and completed the level. At the time I didn't even know about death slides or stuff like that, so it felt quite nice.

Does it pistol start the next level or corpse start? :P

Phml said:

I've never done this before, nor did I know it was possible. I was just wondering this today while playtesting my map, and just assumed that it wouldn't be possible. What port was it in? Is it true fro all ports and vanilla?

eargosedown said:

Wow, reading up on that bug it sounds pretty wonky.

Anyone have a demo/demonstration level of the all ghost bug? And if the player is a ghost himself, does he still clip to things as normal?

Why did the bug start and why did it stop?

Hellbent said:

I've never done this before, nor did I know it was possible. I was just wondering this today while playtesting my map, and just assumed that it wouldn't be possible. What port was it in? Is it true fro all ports and vanilla?

I believe you start the next map with zero and can float around. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, I saw a bunch of basic enemies melee a spiderdemon to death once. They just kept clawing/biting/punching the thing, and its pain chance kept it from moving.

Also, seeing a demon bite a cyberdemon and said cybie blowing up was something special.

eargosedown said:

I've never been able to actually get [a death slide] to work, sadly =[

There are plenty of maps where it is easy to practice. One that springs to mind is Icarus map24. You are given a rocket launcher at the start, and you just run to the exit room and rocket suicide yourself into the exit.

Snakes: Normally when a bunch of, e.g., demons bite a helpless spidermastermind to death, it is because it is stuck.

Technician said:

I believe you start the next map with zero and can float around. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's only when you have exited a map as a zombie, which is quite different from exiting dead.

Regarding ghost monsters or players, there are actually quite a few restrictions on what they can do. To try this out for yourself, set your starting health to zero with a dehacked patch and allow yourself to be crushed (standing under a closing door is sufficent).

My most memorable Doom experience will always be playing the game for the first time on the Super Nintendo. To make a long story short, in those days I only imagined owning a PC and had no inkling of what was out here on the web. Anyway, as you all may well know, that version gave us absolutely no means by which to save our progress... no passwords, no nothin'. However, it did give us the ability to carry over all collected weapons from one episode to the next, which was an ability a newcomer such as myself sorely needed, especially on that clunky version. So, the only way I could see to get through the entire game and see all the levels was to stay up for over 24 hours straight playing Doom. Good times, good times...

Needless to say, when I discovered the Playstation version I thought I was in heaven, and now that I have a PC I have access to so many WADs that I may never be able to play them all in my lifetime!