Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Vanilla Linedef Type Proximity ][ Limits?

Two questions I need answered. One involves W line types and the other S line types.

In vanilla doom, how close together can W lines be for them to all work? ie: WR teleport, WR open door, WR close door--three linedefs all close together that the player walks over. see: ||| How close together can they be for them to all work? How close together can S-lines be?

For S-lines, if the sector has no floor/ceiling height, then I don't think the distance matters. But if you have a little 32x16x64 pillar that is against a wall that has an S-switch, then the pillar switch won't work because it's too close to the wall switch. But if the pillar sector's ceiling height is also 64 (so it has a sector height of 0) then the pillar switch will work. What is the smallest distance allowed in vanilla doom for the pillar switch line to be to the wall switch line in order to work when it has a sector height greater than 0?

I hope this is clear. Let me know if I am wrong about any of my claims.

Just played around with walkover lines bunched up; for a full speed, fully forward, non strafe run, 10 units is the minimum distance each linedef can be separated and still work 100% of the time.

Not sure about your switch problem, can't quite follow your example.

The second question is a bit unclear, but for, say, switch lines placed behind a walkover trigger, the closest you can get the switch to the walkover line and still have it work is 17 units (since the player is 32 units and the center of mass must cross through the walkover trigger in order for 'use' to recognize the switch). This is assuming the player is able to hug the switch wall as close as possible, of course.

I'm not sure of the exact range for flipping a switch and whether or not that relates to anything mentioned here, but it's something.

Also, I don't think the distance between walkover triggers matters (can you stack them in vanilla or is that a ZDoomism?), but if you have more than eight that can be triggered in a single tic, you'll get a spechits overflow.

Thanks guys.

My second question was asking how close together can you have two switch linedefs and have them both work. I think it has to be 33 or greater, but I'm not sure.

IIRC, _any_ linedef type will prevent a switch behind it from being usable in vanilla. When pressing USE button, the first special line it hits is used and the engine stops looking then. It's the reason BOOM introduce the PASSTHRU linedef special.