Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

A simple 1024-WAD idea...

I played the two Claustrophobia 1024 megaWADs, and I really liked them. So, altough I already make a new megaWAD (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=52255), I have an idea. I want to make a Boom-compatible 1024-WAD, called Katamori 1024. It's similar like Congestion 1024 and Claustrophobia 1024-series, but even simplier. I don't wish using any new textures (skies too) or musics, just my levels.

The levels are random, like the other three 1024-WADs, or what do you think: a logical order is better than random mapstyles?

This is it.

(EDIT: sadly, the WAD won't be Boom-compatible, due to the titlepic... but you can run it with ZDoom ports, like ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, etc.)

Katamori said:

The levels are random, like the other three 1024-WADs, or what do you think: a logical order is better than random mapstyles?

If you're going to make a cohesive map set of your own it's often better to have somewhat logical theme progression. The reason the 1024 sets might not seem to have one (especially Claus2 :P) is because the maps are ordered by gameplay and difficulty rather than theme - which is arguably the better way to do in community projects where there's no specific control on map themes and difficulty.

Katamori 1024 should involve rolling up monsters and items in a ball while the post hell music plays.

Yeah, I know how it's really spelled. That doesn't matter.

Jodwin said:

If you're going to make a cohesive map set of your own it's often better to have somewhat logical theme progression.

I agree with this comment. I like your idea of making a 1024 WAD because I, too, greatly enjoyed the 1024 trio. But you should have a sort of progression from map to map, most importantly in terms of the difficulty of the game play. If they are in random order, the WAD's overall feel might be chaotic and jarring.

esselfortium said:

Katamori 1024 should involve rolling up monsters and items in a ball while the post hell music plays.

Yeah, I know how it's really spelled. That doesn't matter.

this. and it better be Katamori 65536 by the last level.

I made the name and style of the maps, and I already started to work MAP01 :)

Episode 1

MAP01: The Train
MAP02: Office Invasion
MAP03: UAC Industries
MAP04: No Parking
MAP05: The Water Facility II
MAP06: Sewers
MAP07: Simple Experiment
MAP08: Sub-Station
MAP09: Even Higher
MAP10: Terraforming
MAP11: Escape from the Outpost

Episode 2

MAP12: Disaster Area
MAP13: Mount Fight
MAP14: The Ancient Base
MAP15: Military Ruins

MAP31: Wolfenstein Bunker
MAP32: Edge of Exist

MAP16: The Storm
MAP17: Frontline 1024
MAP18: Riverside Siege
MAP19: Assault II
MAP20: Behind the Border

Episode 3

MAP21: Infernal Wormhole
MAP22: Into the Beast
MAP23: Concrete Hell
MAP24: River of Blood
MAP25: Shipping in the Underworld
MAP26: Undead Cemetery
MAP27: Wrecked Between Dimensions
MAP28: Gate of the Darkness
MAP29: Top of Hell
MAP30: Doomsday Dawn

To writing the full concept is too long, so there are just the level names.

fullmetalvaran33 said:

The titles are pretty creative. I'm quite curious to see how this WAD turns out :).

Thanks :) first level already playable, second level soon finished :)

Hellbent said:

I suggest: The Dawn of Doom instead of Doomsday Dawn

Thanks for helping, but I think in the title the dawn of the doomsday and in my opinion it is good, so I don't want ti change the names. But thanks :)

Oh, and an important thing for everybody, who read this topic

In the first post I wrote: I don't wish new sky textures and musics in my WAD. Well, I changed my mind: I'll use new musics but only "original" musics (from Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom Evilution, and Heretic; maybe Strife) and 3 new sky textures (ep1: Doom 2 b- urning city, ep2: Doom - Phobos Sky, ep3: Doom - Hell Sky)

Okay, guys, I finished the first level, and my friend made me a title- and an intermission picture. Thank you, Hundoomguy! :)

The first level:

Jodwin said:

Question: Do you really think that running around in those tiny tunnels is fun?

Hey, I've never written that! It's not funny, but... what's the problem? Not a labirynth, especially if you use the automap.

Any other problem? :)

Katamori said:

Okay, guys, I finished the first level, and my friend made me a title- and an intermission picture. Thank you, Hundoomguy! :)

Not bad except I don't recall trains having small tunnels, looks too awkward if you ask me. Also Your friend did a very good job with the title and intermission pics.

Philnemba said:

Not bad except I don't recall trains having small tunnels, looks too awkward if you ask me.

Sorry, but the tunnels are ventilator tunnels... so I think it's passed to a train level

Katamori said:

Sorry, but the tunnels are ventilator tunnels... so I think it's passed on a train level

That's one huge train to have such ventilator tunnels.

Jodwin said:

That's one huge train to have such ventilator tunnels.

Yes, it is a huge train. But I designed the last part only.

Well, second level also finished. If you want to try the fist 2 level, here's a download link:

DOWNLOAD LINK WAS HERE, REMOVED

Phml said:

createPatch: Unknown patch format TITLEPIC.

Run with ZDoom. Sadly, the WAD won't be Boom-compatible... I tried to change the picture's format...didn't works...

But the map format is Boom, I don't change them... this way I can make simple, but good maps. (I hope :D)

You left all the Doom2 resources in the wad file, so it's way too big. Delete all that stuff to bring it down to ~ 1 MB.

phi108 said:

You left all the Doom2 resources in the wad file, so it's way too big. Delete all that stuff to bring it down to ~ 1 MB.

I didn't want that... later these will be replaced, and I zipped the original file