Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

A simple 1024-WAD idea...

Doesn't look so bad for a starting effort to me, I say keep it up. Also, I assume you were being sarcastic darkreaver, because those last two suggestions were pretty horrible.

darkreaver said:

It might have come off as sarcasm, but it was really just my exeptionally bad humor.

The first question was serious though

I know... :P
and yes, the WAD won't be Boom compatible due to the titlepic. But I think it's not problem, because ZDoom is a simple and great source port too, like Boom

Katamori said:

I tried to change the picture's format...didn't works...

You probably didn't try hard enough. What tool are you using?

Gez said:

You probably didn't try hard enough. What tool are you using?

First SLumped, and I changed the pictures format to Doom Gfx, but then, wen I started the WAD with PrBoom+, the titlepic was one streak with color like vomit and the 80% of the screen was HOM effect. When I wanted to change back the original, I couldn't, because TITLEPIC file disappeared from the SLumped list. Then, I used XWe, but here the thing was the same. So I thought, I don't care this thing, when people want play it, use ZDoom. Not a hard source port. And in my opinion nobody want to make speedrun with my "no-name" WAD, so don't need to start everything with PrBoom...

phi108 said:

You left all the Doom2 resources in the wad file, so it's way too big. Delete all that stuff to bring it down to ~ 1 MB.

The file size isn't a problem. What is a problem is sharing the whole Doom2.wad, which is illegal.

Okay. The title pic and credit pic are massively oversized (950x694 WTF) and sorry to say but they do not need to be so. Resize them to 320x200, change the overall tint of the pic to one that can more easily fit in a range of the Doom's palette, and try converting to Gfx again.

Also, fucking delete every lump in your file that isn't from yourself. This include basically everything but MAPINFO, TITLEPIC, CREDIT and MAP01--BLOCKMAP + MAP02--BLOCKMAP, D_RUNNIN and D_STALKS. There are two lessons here:
1. Don't directly modify an IWAD. That's a waste of disk space and it makes the mod harder to maintain because you can't easily tell what's modified and what's not.
2. Don't distribute a modified IWAD because it's illegal and a bannable offense.

Gez said:

Okay. The title pic and credit pic are massively oversized (950x694 WTF) and sorry to say but they do not need to be so. Resize them to 320x200, change the overall tint of the pic to one that can more easily fit in a range of the Doom's palette, and try converting to Gfx again.

Also, fucking delete every lump in your file that isn't from yourself. This include basically everything but MAPINFO, TITLEPIC, CREDIT and MAP01--BLOCKMAP + MAP02--BLOCKMAP, D_RUNNIN and D_STALKS. There are two lessons here:
1. Don't directly modify an IWAD. That's a waste of disk space and it makes the mod harder to maintain because you can't easily tell what's modified and what's not.
2. Don't distribute a modified IWAD because it's illegal and a bannable offense.

But I saw many WADs, which modified IWADs, oike Erik Alm's Scythe. SCYTHE.WAD (I hope, it is the filename) contains the new level names and the 2-3 new textures, but also contains the sprites, the textures, and anything other, which contains original DOOM2.WAD

So Scythe is also illegal?

Look, you have two options here. Choose one.

1. Clean out your .wad file so that it's smaller, easier for you to maintain, and will not trigger remarks about your mod being warez;

2. Keep all the original game data around and whine around that other people did it too, eventually resulting in you getting banned for warez.

Do as you want. It's your choice.

Gez said:

Look, you have two options here. Choose one.

1. Clean out your .wad file so that it's smaller, easier for you to maintain, and will not trigger remarks about your mod being warez;

2. Keep all the original game data around and whine around that other people did it too, eventually resulting in you getting banned for warez.

Do as you want. It's your choice.

Okay, okay, but if I delete the other maps, the mapping will be harder, bacause I don't know, how to add a map with the WAD in Doombuilder... or if I change the other maps and empty map (withput Player 1 starts, etc,.), it enough?

Katamori said:

I don't know, how to add a map with the WAD in Doombuilder...

File -> Save into...

You should really remove the download link until you fix this. The moderators are pretty strict about distributing warez.

Craigs said:

You should really remove the download link until you fix this. The moderators are pretty strict about distributing warez.

Link removed

Okay guys, WAD cleaned. Now it is about 4-5 MB... lol... and the picture resizing worked, but the titlepic quality with Boom... like the vomit... so I use the original, "oversized" picture and you can play only with ZDoom (or Skulltag or GZDoom, of course).

And a question: now I deleted the useless things (like sprites, flats, etc.), but I stayed the levels (all the 32, only 2 replaced) and the (new) musics. Can I link that in this forum?

Katamori said:

Okay guys, WAD cleaned. Now it is about 4-5 MB... lol... and the picture resizing worked, but the titlepic quality with Boom... like the vomit... so I use the original, "oversized" picture and you can play only with ZDoom (or Skulltag or GZDoom, of course).

Do as you wish, but I think the titlepic is really the weakest reason one could find for restricting a mod's target ports.

Katamori said:

And a question: now I deleted the useless things (like sprites, flats, etc.), but I stayed the levels (all the 32, only 2 replaced) and the (new) musics. Can I link that in this forum?

Why don't you want to clean them up?

Gez said:

Do as you wish, but I think the titlepic is really the weakest reason one could find for restricting a mod's target ports.

Why don't you want to clean them up?

I don't wish to recreate the map slots. But now, I have an idea! I make a copy for the file and I delete the maps, but from one file only. And this WAD I can to upload

wait a minute guys...

darkreaver said:

Also you need to add a couple of cyberdemons in that first map

Katamori is not a 1337-like mapper. I know he always goes for quality.
So, please, take stupid suggests for yourself. Thanks.

Cell said:

Katamori is not a 1337-like mapper. I know he always goes for quality.
So, please, take stupid suggests for yourself. Thanks.

be patient, he's joke only.

Katamori said:

but the titlepic quality with Boom... like the vomit... so I use the original, "oversized" picture and you can play only with ZDoom (or Skulltag or GZDoom, of course).

Keep low-res version and put hi-res version between HI_START and HI_END markers. This is recognized by ZDoom, and PrBoom+ in GL mode,at least when hi-res texture is in PNG. Not sure about Eternity.