Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fritz442

Obhack 007.0 Released (Random Map Generator)

Obhack is a random map generator for Doom, Doom2, Heretic and Hexen.

As the current maintainer of Obhack, I will try to answer all questions and comments here on this post.

Download - http://samiam.org/slump/

Bugfix: Fixed Hexen & Heretic parameters with insane setting.

Bugfix: Fixed the infinite loop when making maps.

Enabled the Bosses for boss-levels.

Hexen is now fully enabled.

A few more revisions to the gui and other minor fixes.

Aha! Looking forward to trying this newer version. I've been playing tons of maps made with 0.6.9 or whatever the previous version was, and it is very reliable for making good playable maps, and the occasional exceptionally good map.

I did find a map that had apparently choked the nodebuilder, tho the map itself was okay and rebuilt fine with old BSPv3. It wasn't oversize (about 8500 units on a side, 9x10 squares) but was maybe too complex for whatever nodebuilder you're using.

Good to hear from you again Rez, If you can try rebuilding that map with this version and see if it compiles ok. Although with the version change, it will probally make a completly different map. If it doesn't compile let me know. Thanks

Yes Hexen is now enabled, I've been trying to work on it from time to time.

Building the same seed with v.007 as we speak. Meanwhile, here are the settings for the aforementioned fail:

<goes off, extracts notes.txt from the archive>
=================================
-- Levels created by ObHack 006.9
-- Settings --
seed = 0005
game = doom2
port = nolimit
mode = sp
length = episode

-- Adjustments --
size = huge
maxsize = huge
steep = random
puzzles = more
mons = swarms
health = normal
ammo = normal
outdoors = outdoors
iweapon = hardcore
switches = both
keytype = both
roomsize = large
lighting = bright

Pretty good set, 07 and 10 in particular have intriguing layouts.
Map 11 overwhelmed the nodebuilder and had to be separately rebuilt
(included as map11fix.wad).
=================================

Wonder if the rebuilt map will be identical in layout? We shall see!

I have to exit to DOS to play it so back later with a report.

Even with my normal monster settings, I've been getting some that produce good scares and tough fights... one huge flat map with SIX cybes all very well placed; another with 3 big spiders and a rare opportunity to generate a fight between 'em; and so on.

<peering at regenerated map in editor>

-- Levels created by ObHack 007.0

-- Settings --
seed = 0005
game = doom2
port = nolimit
mode = sp
length = episode

-- Adjustments --
size = huge
maxsize = huge
steep = random
puzzles = more
mons = swarms
health = normal
ammo = normal
outdoors = outdoors
iweapon = hardcore
switches = both
keytype = both
roomsize = large
lighting = bright

Layout isn't at all similar to what 006.9 built -- this one's map11 is about 7x9 squares and much less complex. In fact, NONE of the 11 maps is even vaguely similar!

One thing's for sure, if a person ever did run out of seeds (ha, right), just switch builds and you'd get a whole different set of maps.

Well, the idea IS to get random maps :D

Oh, I did find another Real Bug (maybe two), that I keep forgetting to mention.

You know those monsters that are sometimes in the smallest cages? There's no sanity check on whether the cage is entirely below floor level. I think it's fine if it's sometimes *partly* sunken -- that looks interesting and can be deadly!! but once in a while the cage is completely below the floor, making it difficult or impossible to kill the critter -- at best you *might* be able to get it with rocket backblast, if you have enough rockets. (However, if it's an Arch-Vile, it can still get YOU!)

Also, once in a blue moon there's a very small pit with a monster in it. I have mixed feelings about whether that's really a bug... I like to jump up and walk along where I'm not supposed to be <g> and I've run into a couple of these in, uh, "interesting" places. (Ouch!) They can be killed, at least.

You know those monsters that are sometimes in the smallest cages?

Yes I have seen these from time to time and will look into it.

The pit thing, I think when the monsters are tracking you they fall into these low areas, which I think is funny sometimes and just kill them.

No, these are walkers who START in a small deep pit (head-high on the Marine), like a no-escape toxic pit, except I've only seen them in very small pits isolated inside a ledge. I'll have to dig out my screenshots. I've never seen one in the occasional larger no-escape pit. Most of the no-escape pits themselves are apparently mistakes by the randomizer (you can tell that by where they are), but since such pits have always been a part of DOOM, I think they are okay to have.

What you're talking about is how once in a while a pinkie or hell knight gets hung up in one of the small water puddles and can't figure out how to climb out, which I also think is very funny :) -- they don't start there tho.

I've noticed that there is usually a way into the "dead" areas that are sometimes in the middle or along the edge of a map -- so those "dead" areas often fill up with floaters. This is actually great since you can get nasty surprises that way, especially in the very large maps that have a lot of complex corner structures. You think you're safe so you ignore that faraway caco swarm, but after a while, here they come!

Anyway, back to death and destruction. :D