Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheeple

A couple Linux ZDoom problems

1) Cannot get ZCajun working. I have a zcajun directory in my ZDoom folder, but it's not picking up. Does anyone know of a solution to this, or at least a better bot engine compatible with ZDoom?

2) ZDoom will not read any game controllers. I want to use my old second model XBox controller, which I converted to USB a while ago and recently installed xjoy for it. It works in ZSNES just fine though, and Contra 3 is awesome with it. I also tried my Logitech Dual-Action, which I know is a generic USB gamepad with nothing special needed, and ZDoom didn't pick that up.

I already know both problems can be solved by using Skulltag instead of ZDoom, but I would like to fix the problems within ZDoom rather than using another port.

zcajun isn't being worked on anymore. It's a shame, the bots aren't stupid, just that they need work to operate with the new Zdoom system.

sheeple said:

2) ZDoom will not read any game controllers. I want to use my old second model XBox controller, which I converted to USB a while ago and recently installed xjoy for it. It works in ZSNES just fine though, and Contra 3 is awesome with it. I also tried my Logitech Dual-Action, which I know is a generic USB gamepad with nothing special needed, and ZDoom didn't pick that up.

That broke when Randy changed the joystick code. I never really saw a reason to even look at the code since I didn't think people actually played Doom on the PC with a game pad.

ZCajun has been more or less dead code for a long while now.

For the joystick issue, your best bet would be to post a bug report on ZDoom.

sheeple said:

QJoyPad might be a viable workaround. I used it to play Cave Story in Wine with my Xbox controller a few years ago.

Well, I tried QJoyPad in ZDoom and the analog output is way too fast to be effective (I'll inch the mouse stick to the right and I'm looking at the floor and spinning really fast). I'll probably eperiment with different gradient modes in it to see what I can come up with that'll be ideal for looking/turning.
Well, I just tried it in OpenArena and when I moved the stick I bound my mouse to, it just went right/down really fast, I'll try it with my generic pad.
It would appear as though mouse left/up is broken in full-screen applications.

And if bot support in ZDoom is dead, I could just use Skulltag when I have access to the Skulltag wiki again so I can download off the terminal.