Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Advanced Coders needed for Berserker Demon

I am looking for a coder or two to help me make an amazing monster. We could use the sprites from the bull demon as the base for it, so that the bulk of the work will be coding the monster's behaviors; which, let me tell you, will be a lot of work.

First off, the monster is awesome. So already that is a great reason for why you would want to come on board and do the coding for it. Because, honestly, how many awesome add on monsters are there for doom? I mean truly awesome monsters. This monster will be truly awesome.

Are you ready to hear about it? Here it is in a nutshell: A cross between a lost soul and a demon. Wait! Before you yawn, think about it. A demon that moves as slow as an imp, but, and here is the kicker, the devil is in the details, meaning the awesomeness of the monster is brought about by its careful and deliberate coding of its behavior... the carefully constructed 'random' AI. So picture this: the demon is just walking along slowly, like a cow chewing its cud, minding its own business (can you imagine the monster actually moving its jaws, as if it was munching on some recent prey? I mean, how much awesomer can you get than that? keep reading,

Along comes you. It stops, sniffs, turns around and charges at you almost as fast as a lost soul's attack! The range of its attack would be random within a set range. The upper end of that range would occur less frequently than the mid-range, and the short range would be equally less frequent.

This element of ranomization would make the monster very unnerving and unpredictable. However, so that it is not dumb, but truly awesome, the monster would not stop its lunge at the predetermined random stopping point if its very close to you.. it would rather go slightly farther than its predetermined longest random lunge range before becoming tired and abruptly reverting back to its imp pace to recover before its next attack (recovery rate would be similarly randomized).

This monster will be entertaining as hell to watch infighting, as well as very fun and scary to fight.

If everything goes smoothly, we could consider the possibility of having the demon eat its prey after it kills it, and stop to eat other corpses it comes across. This would involve quite a bit of work, tho, so we should just focus on the above stuff first. But it would be so awesome if we could also pull this off. I look forward to hearing from you. The name for this monster will tentatively be simply Berserker. Thank you for reading. That is all for now. I'm open to your comments and suggestions.

How about zigzagging while charging in order to waste your ammo and a random chance of infighting when Berserkers collide mid-charge? The charge itself could also damage the player or other monsters the Berserker runs into.

GreyGhost said:

How about zigzagging while charging in order to waste your ammo and a random chance of infighting when Berserkers collide mid-charge? The charge itself could also damage the player or other monsters the Berserker runs into.

Excellent! Yes, that's why the bull demon is a good choice for the texture, because it damages like a bull (as well as chomping). I love the random infighting if they collide! That is genius. How about they start out straight, if they get hit, they start zigzagging. I think it would be a bit goofy if it is zigzagging from the start. I think maybe they should sustain ~20hp of damage before zigzagging.

Hellbent said:

heh, kinda entertaining. I liked it when two demons suddenly started floating upwards.

You can also get a demon to bounce in place if you lure it into a corner at the right angle.