Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The story behind your Alias, custom title or Avatar, plus I'll make you an Avatar

Sheeple?
Never_Again?

Lot of interesting Aliases, custom titles and Avatars, but what's the story behind them? I know there was a thread on this awhile ago, but, iono, figger it's time for one again. In fact, I might dig up my response from the old thread and paste it here. Don't post in the old thread if you find it as it is against forum policy.

EDIT: If you want me to make you an avatar and have an image or idea for it, let me know! Also, this might be a good source for avatars: [b]http://www.toycutter.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

I actually don't recall how I had this one. I signed up here when I was much younger.

The online alias I actively use (Alay) is the name of a pen&paper roleplay character I made several years back, and used it as a display when we started IRC roleplaying. It just kinda stuck /shrug.

Not cool enough for a custom title 8)

EarthQuake said:

Mine is rooted in Quake. It's cheesy in retrospect, but it's a bit too late to change it.

Yeah, but it's so obviously cheesy, it ends up being cool again.

Hellbent: sort of a long story, but suffice it to say as an adolescent I identified with Matchbox 20's song "Bent" "Can you help me, I'm bent?" And my nose became inexplicably bent to the left sometime around the age of 15 or so, which I attribute to the physical manifestation of an ego struggling to find and define itself in the world during my formative adolescent years (ie. being a lost soul). So, Hellbent seemed like a natural fit for a doom site.

EarthQuake said:

Mine is rooted in Quake. It's cheesy in retrospect, but it's a bit too late to change it.

Mine also comes from Quake, back when I was a regular at the now defunct Quake Terminus I decided it was time to break away from my previous moniker, Comiclez, which was the result of me banging randomly on my keyboard in late 1999.

I wanted something short and memorable so Bank was a good choice in that it was a simple word that was unlikely to be taken on websites. Initially this was true but it has in recent years become harder and harder to get plain 'Bank' on other sites. Anyone who sees me on IRC knows I have to use Banque because nickserv is a dick.

It doesn't mean anything!

Kassman said in the last thread that was just like this one:

My original username was just lupinx when I made my first account (lupinx being just some name I made up. No, it had nothing to do with Lupin the III). Naturally, I quickly forgot my password as soon as possible, so I created a second account called lupinx_resurrected.

After a somewhat lengthy hiatus from doom, I had begun calling myself Kassman for various games and other stuff simply because it was based on my last name Kassap. I also created a simple green-haired character named Kass to represent me in some of my older and shittier net dohizzles. That is who that random dude in my avatar is.

When I decided to come back to doom, I didn't even attempt to remember my password for my second account, so I created yet another. Here I am, rocking like a hurricane.

As for my title? Well that is so because I am the memberiest member here on doomworld you will ever meet.

Except now I happen to just be the most regular guy around.

heh, you said

the memberiest member

which I think is pretty cool. I don't think you need to quote yourself from the old thread. Reposting it here would have been fine. The old thread is like a 'ghost' thread, and so the usual quoting rules don't really apply in the same way. Plus it makes quoting your post annoying. :p (what am I a mod or something? i just pull this shit outta my ass, but it seems to make sense to me.)

Technician said:

I need to change mine. This is the only forum I use under this name.

Are you a technician? What kind of things do you technate?

I no longer have a custom title, but I would like my new one to be:
the rules are agree that?
I think it's very apropos. Not just to this thread, but to me having a history of being a forum rebel. hmm... forum rebel would also be a good custom title. It's like the Johnny Cash of the Internets.

Alias/Username -
Mithral was derived from Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance from one of the strongest single hand weapons with best enchantment. Icy Burst Mithral Scimitar +5... Though to this day back when I played RuneScape and some other games, people thought I misspelled Mithril/Mythril, but i quit them.
Link was from LoZ Link, nothing different, just my favorite video character.

Custom title? What custom title? That thing? Oh... I'm just a member, don't you see?

--Edit.. .Sorta? The Demon part of my name just happened to go with Doom.. So yeah, I'm a metal demon.

My username was something I came up with for my AOL account (Remember that?) back when I was like 7. It's a combo of my first name and my favorite food at the time.

As for a custom title, I don't do enough stupid things, so chances are I'll always be a member.

My name is a artifact of an earlier time on the internet I wish to never revisit. I believe that having this nickname reminds me of my past and allows me not to act in the same way.

I used to be known as Ebola. But it was a nick I chose so long ago, when one wanted the internet name to imply something vicious or badass. Kinda got sick of that and since my name is Kristian (Christian). A name I never really enjoyed having, I decided to make the best of it and call myself after that religion's namesake/god.

As for my title, this isn't the first title I've had. I've had a few. Though the last 5 years I've been a mod of a secret forum on DW, which gave me the ability to change my own title.

The ones I can recall having are:
Punk videos suck (Julian gave me this, after I had declared in #Zdoom that all punk videos I watched was basically the same deal and they all sucked)
Team Future has a new (can't recall the last bit, but it was used as a bit of promotion for the Doom3 mod we started work on at the time... which is still being worked on. "Everyone" on the team had these kinds of titles at the time. Spike still got his, but that's part because he's no longer active in these forums)
Godlike/Doglike (Reference to the KMFDM song)
Megablast! (Another music reference, this is a track by Bomb the bass which was used in the game Xenon2 and it is awesome, and I am awesome. So I am a megablast of awesome.)

My username was taken from Twisted Metal III's last boss "Primeval" back when I used to play it. Sort of stuck ever since I first used the name. Coincidentally, my favorite TV show is BBC's Primeval.

As I said not so long ago in an eerily similar thread:
I'm a grey-haired lurking presence - not the ghost of a Roswell Grey as some might believe. My custom title's obviously derived from my user name though I've no idea who bestowed it upon me, first noticed it under my avatar at Easter time and like to think of it as an Easter Egg.

Little's changed since then apart from the grey in my hair becoming more pronounced.

Mine is pretty simple. It's just my middle name. As for my title, I got it back when I was younger. I was a pretty big idiot back then and made an ass of myself on a regular basis. I came pretty close getting losered on several occasions.

Name - I was reading that Cracked article about internet arguments and thought it would be funny to have.

Title - Standard dynamic forum title, in Doomworld Forums' fashion.

Would be cool if the topic could extend to user avatars though.

After Van der Graaf Generator, one of the most original rock groups in the '70s (no bass guitar in a few line-ups). One of my favs, as well, especially "Lost", "Lemmings" and almost entire "Godbluff".

I never used this alias anywhere else, I registered here with an absolute certainty that I'll be just lurking forever.

Somehow I wound up being one of the few who's never gone through a permanent nick-change. Not bad, I guess, for a random character name I came up with when I was ten-ish (and was subsequently stolen by Thermaltake through some sort of strange space-time anomaly). I think I picked it just because it rhymes with "laser."

At present, the official retcon behind the name is that it's a nickname originally given by his little brother who had trouble pronouncing the character's actual first name (Xavier). This bears no resemblance to anything in real life considering that I have neither that name nor a little brother.

My current avatar is actually a random extra from a Vinnie Veritas drawing that just so happened to look exactly like the 2nd iteration of my title character. You can spot him in this image nonchalantly walking in the background, seemingly uninterested in the excitement around him. Classy.

I've gone by different names in the past, but for a while people knew me as "Krisp". Long, long story short, one day me and a friend decided to change our usernames to hybrids of our IDs with adventure game characters.

My name is a combination of Krisp and Manny Calavera. Soon I dropped the "Manny" part, and started using Krispavera everywhere. About a year later I started dropping the "Kris". You'll usually find me posting under either the name Krispavera or just Pavera.

kristus said:

The last 5 years I've been a mod of a secret forum on DW, which gave me the ability to change my own title.

I was 14-ish. Back when shit like this sounded cool. I'll probably submit a request to change it when I get around to creating another alias.

As for the Avatar. I don't remember why I made this one, it was back when the fish "craze" started back up some months ago, and it was the first thing that popped into my head.

I am Heavy Weapons Guy. And THIS is my weapon, so on and so forth.

One of the default avatars was the HWGuy from Team Fortress Classic, so naturally I took it. If I ever get a chance to upload a new avatar, I'd go for the fish HWGuy someone had made a few months ago.

HWGuy said:

I am Heavy Weapons Guy. And THIS is my weapon, so on and so forth.

One of the default avatars was the HWGuy from Team Fortress Classic, so naturally I took it. If I ever get a chance to upload a new avatar, I'd go for the fish HWGuy someone had made a few months ago.

Well then, work your way to Member status then you can change your avatar.

I'm too lazy to find an avatar suitable for me.

Now that we're including avatars - I wanted one that'd stand out from the crowd and a hypercube animation caught my eye. Had to scale down and re-draw it but I think the result's worth the effort.