Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herculine

Video Recording -- How?

How do I record a video (not a demo lump, but like a YouTube clip) of myself playing through a WAD run on ZDoom or GZDoom?

You have to use a program like Fraps to record the video, then another program like VirtualDub to encode / compress it.

Use3D said:

Most people press the screenshot key 35 times per second.

I'm one of those people. it's super easy with my 3rd hand.

Use3D said:

Most people press the screenshot key 35 times per second.

I want it to be a good quality video, so I'm aiming for between 45 to 50 per second. Perhaps I'll hire an epileptic to hit the SysRq key for me while I'm playing.

Actually. You can write a consol script that takes a screenshot every gametic or whatever and record the sound separate and then combine the two into a vid in an movie editing program. But, it's probably easier to just download fraps.

So far Fraps has been working pretty good for me, but it has been a trial-and-error learning experience. Ideally I wanted to record myself playing through the map in GZDoom with lighting effects enabled, but with the two programs running simultaneously my framerate gets hit so bad that it ends up looking like a moron is controlling DoomGuy. But if I switch over to ZDoom at a lower resolution it runs quicker, so that will probably be what I run when I make the final video.

I've worked on and off trying to figure out how to record DOOM for utube myself. I've found that the best way to make you not look like a newb while recording is to first record a demo of what you want to go on the net, then play the demo while recording so your gameplay is not affected by lag.

I haven't been able to record sound sadly using my PC Windows7 lap top, but ah well. Some day I'll get to do that DOOM Let's Play.

NT

NaturalTvventy said:

I've worked on and off trying to figure out how to record DOOM for utube myself. I've found that the best way to make you not look like a newb while recording is to first record a demo of what you want to go on the net, then play the demo while recording so your gameplay is not effected by lag.

I haven't recorded any dooom videos but I had considered it, and if I did this is the same approach I would have taken too.

Manhunt21 said:

Type in the command line "-record".

to be more specific, on the command prompt line type

doom -record (demo file name you desire)

this will create a .lmp of the chosen name. to play it type

doom -playdemo (filename)

to record the demo using recording software you usually have to be NOT in full-screen mode too.

At the moment I'm trying to do it using the Eternity frontend. I've checked the appropriate boxes but can't see that it's recorded anything...

If you have a cross-game program called Xfire you can record in-game Skulltag very easily, just press CTRL-V to start recording and CTRL-V again to stop recording and save the video.

This is what I usually use, FRAPS makes me restart recording every 30 seconds and camstudio just acts retarded on my computer.