Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vorpal

Raising stairs as "Next Highest Floor"

It's possible I already know how to do this, but am just having a morning "moment" but...

In Christ Lutz' TDE.wad, at the beginning and several other places he has stair-like blocks raise up, but not with the usual "stairs" type linedef actions. Instead he's just using the standard "Floor raise to next highest floor", and some boom variations of that basic linedef action.

I'm confused how he has accomplished this. The individual stairs are not connected to eachother, they're only set inside one common sector, a ledge of sorts. Since there is no adjacent "highest floor" to raise to, how are they raising at all? And, why do they raise to varying heights?

I don't see any reference sector trickery or any other clues. It's a useful effect that I'd like to use in my map. Again, the example I'm examining is the very first button in TDE.wad, thanks for any help!

It seems the switch is a double switch and does two things - raise a voodoo doll sector, then the voodoo doll scrolls and triggers stairs, each individual sector being merged with the actual "stairs" you see ; and at the same time raise the sectors to the height of the merged sector (#39) before the stairs start building up.

... That's my guess, anyway. It all seems a bit complicated.

Ah ha! Not sure how I missed those voodoo doll sectors, thanks for pointing that out, will go study them in detail.

Edit: ok, he did do it how I originally thought, via dummy reference sectors. Fun effect! Alas, if only they added a "height" variable in the generalized boom linedef standard... but then again, it's not Doom without design tricks ;-)

The switch is two lines (one has passthru flag set so that they switch together).
They both have the same action (24650) generalized raise floor to highest adjacent floor.
The front switch (tag 10), the back switch (tag 8).
Sectors 40 to 48 initially rise to sector 39 because they are all adjacent to it and share the tag no 8.
In a similar fashion sector 49 rises to 50 which also controls the height of sector 1232 (4 sectors with red firesticks on).
Sector 49 also has a voodoo doll and line 387 scrolls the things that have tag no 10. Which is also why sector 1232 lines are all impassible.
When the voodoo doll crosses the line in front of it (line 388) it builds the stairs with action (12680) generalised build stairs up 16.
The lines for sectors 40 to 48 are in two different parts of the map. The areas that you see as a player which and a control area out of the map adjacent to each other and sector 39.
Edit: Oops too slow.

Neat, got it to work, for a while at least. After moving on to editing other parts of my level, the stairs stopped raising properly... somehow the linedef numbers change between saves sometimes, drives me insane ;-P

Guess I'll just re-make the trick-stairs on the final build.