Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So is there a Doom RPG out there? And I don't mean the cell phone games. I mean someone who's created an RPG-type game with levels, upgrades, and the like. Seems like with Zdoom or some other modern port it would be possible. I think it would be pretty fun. Does it exist??

NT

me and a couple other guys are working on one, although its not based on the doom engine.

NaturalTvventy said:

And I don't mean the cell phone games

Clonehunter said:

Theres Doom RPG for the Cell Phone.

heh

Anyways, it could be really good. Kind of like Korax Mod, if anyone's played that.

I had an idea for a really ambitious project in which you could play as either side in the war between Hell and Earth. You could choose your class, like a UAC Marine, Technician, or Scientist, or on the other side, a Baron, Imp, Arch-Vile, etc.

But since I've yet to finish a project of any kind, this doesn't seem very likely to ever get underway. And I've mostly lost interest in it anyway.

Ryathaen said:

I had an idea for a really ambitious project in which you could play as either side in the war between Hell and Earth. You could choose your class, like a UAC Marine, Technician, or Scientist, or on the other side, a Baron, Imp, Arch-Vile, etc.

But since I've yet to finish a project of any kind, this doesn't seem very likely to ever get underway. And I've mostly lost interest in it anyway.

That could be a cool Hexen Mod maybe.

My idea for a DOOM RPG would be something rather open-ended, as opposed to story-based. Kind'a DOOM MMO. Killing monsters gave xp and cash used to buy ammo, better weapons, armor, all that DOOM stuff. You could start out weak, with say a max of 25 health, and levels gave you an increase in max health. Or you could have the typical 100% health to start, and gaining levels gave you a PERMANENT armor %, so the higher level you were, the less damage you took. Or both.

it would be HUD-based, with towns (space ports, whatever) with shops, and various worlds full of monsters to grind. Any level designer could add areas, connecting them to wherever. The designers themselves could decide just how much of a 'story' they want in their areas.

I think such a thing would be a sweet combo of my two favorite game types for sure.

NT

As much as I hate grinding games anymore, I think it would be fun for a while. Certain other people, however, would probably enjoy something like that immensely. Having tons of randomly generated material would be a key point in maintaining replayability in a mod like this.

Maybe something like a Roguelike in Doom (and not Doom in a Roguelike).

NaturalTvventy said:

I don't mean the cell phone games.

Are you sure? I played with Doom RPG on my phone, and I think, it's a really interesting game, and playing this game is a good using of your free time.