Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Switch sounds now being centered on linedefs, rather than whole map

I did notice that since awhile, the switch sounds have been centered on the linedefs they're pressed in, just like in ZDoom and Hexen, not like in Doom where they use that Cyberdemon/Spiderdemon channel. Apart from implementing Hexen support, why was it done like this? I liked hearing the CLUNK sound globally when monsters were throwing switches. And as a side effect, now all switches make double sounds when they're repeatable.

printz said:

I did notice that since awhile, the switch sounds have been centered on the linedefs they're pressed in, just like in ZDoom and Hexen, not like in Doom where they use that Cyberdemon/Spiderdemon channel. Apart from implementing Hexen support, why was it done like this? I liked hearing the CLUNK sound globally when monsters were throwing switches. And as a side effect, now all switches make double sounds when they're repeatable.

It was done because the original code relies on semi-undefined behavior - it continues to access a resource (in this case a recycled global structure) after the game has "released" it (which in this context means memsetting it to zero). Also because the original behavior is not in any way required for demo sync, and is virtually never a factor in gameplay like some other sound bugs DOOM has happen to be (the ninja spawn phenomenon, for example, for which Eternity does provide compatibility considerations).

Eternity is meant to be gameplay compatible, not necessarily presentation compatible, as you can see with the menu system, console, Cardboard renderer, and ability to use features such as auto-highlighting crosshair, particles, and walk camera even while old demos are playing back. This has always been the case and will continue to be.

Quasar said:

Eternity is meant to be gameplay compatible, not necessarily presentation compatible,

It may still affect gameplay, such as not hearing people or monsters throwing far-away switches any more now.

printz said:

Custom Boom-compatible maps, 2-sided linedefs only :P

Sorry it just stretches belief too much. I don't have any intention of changing this. Now that switches are dynamically allocated, it is too dangerous to behave in such a lax fashion with them.