Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MRB_Doom

Billy Graham Hell-Bound False Prophet Says Fred Phelps

Phelps is a tit of the first order. He is clearly insane. Phelps does not worry me at all. People who follow Phelps worry me. People who get outraged by Phelps also worry me. The correct response to him is to pat him on the head and say "there there you silly, insane, rambling little man" and then ignore everything he says. Doing anything else gives him more importance than he deserves.

footman said:

Who ISN'T a hell-bound false prophet in the eyes of Phelps?

Straight from the horses mouth? Literally only his congregation, which is his entire family (at least the ones that haven't left the church). In fact he has stated that even if there are people that agree 100% with the things he says, they are damned...because they don't attend his church services.

Classic example of the pot calling the kettle black. :D

I suppose one advantage in casting God in your own image is that you get to decide who burns in hell.

I read of an idea that people like phelps might be a double agent of sorts, faking being as extreme/idiotic as possible in order to make groups they only pretend to belong to look stupid by association. For example david icke claims to be a conspiracy guy but then states something obviously dumb like politicians might be reptiles, maybe just as a political tactic to make other conspiracy theorists look foolish by association. Or such people are just irl trolls. Once you become famous or infamous you can probably sell books/dvds/etc to make a million bucks though. Makes me want to become an 'entrepreneur' in the emerging field of viral stupidity, like 'Ms. Peachez In The Tub'. The internet is a high school popularity contest. Tay Zonday and jawsus get millions and everybody else is assigned whatever slave labor jobs are left until future robots can steal them.
This video has nothing to do with fred phelps:

But how could you even get a group as large as a large family into such a scheme? How can you even get them speaking with such unity on any topic, let alone such an extreme one? It's just weird.

Rather than tell these guys off, people should be doing some kind of psychological experiments on them, mostly as a troll because they couldn't be done scientifically. It would just be more fun. (Yes, I know my ethics go right out the window some days...)

It will be interesting to see what happens to these guys and if any of them change drastically when the leaders of their little church disappear or die.

EDIT: He wasn't talking about Armenians. He was talking about this.

Aliotroph? said:

EDIT: He wasn't talking about Armenians. He was talking about this.

Absolutely expected. There's some now that are trying to bring the Elect back. Phelps may very well be one of them.

This is absolute bafoonery. If Phelps were any worse, the Puritans would have told him to loosen up a little.

There's Fundamentalism, and then there's Westboro Baptist Church.

Snakes said:

Video

I remember watching that documentary when it was aired a couple of years ago. For the first few minutes I thought it was a spoof insight into the world of Fundamentalism. A parody.

It swear, it's weirdoid lunatics like this that give everyone with a simple, personal faith in something a bad name.

If I was doing a production of the Laramie Project and Phelps or some of his family didn't turn up, I'd be disappointed. To me, his presence would authenticate the production. Without their presence, I'd feel that I wasn't a real, bona fide "fag enabler".

I can't think of anybody in the UK quite as crazy as Phelps. Perhaps the closest ones are that "hook hand" bloke, and then somebody Choudry who is involved with a group called Islam4UK. Though neither are quite as crazy because they only want to convert people to fundamentalist Islam. Phelps doesn't just want people to convert to 'any old' fundamentalist Christianity but only his kind. And even then he might still hate you.

I also once found the blog of some bloke who goes around interviewing people in the seediest of seedy underbellies in Japan, who once found a Japanese Nazi (as in full-on goose-stepping around in an SS uniform handing out anti-Jewish leaflets Nazi), that guy sounded pretty crazy. Apparently he knew Japanese, German and English... but spoken English mit der comical cherman accent!

deathbringer said:

I also once found the blog of some bloke who goes around interviewing people in the seediest of seedy underbellies in Japan, who once found a Japanese Nazi (as in full-on goose-stepping around in an SS uniform handing out anti-Jewish leaflets Nazi), that guy sounded pretty crazy. Apparently he knew Japanese, German and English... but spoken English mit der comical cherman accent!

That's not horribly surprising. They were allies during WWII, after all. Germanophilia (Deutchophilia?) exists to a certain extent in Japan, even to the extent of tolerance towards Nazism. They seem to view Hitler and the Nazis as just another warmongering world leader and his followers, and don't put him in quite as negative of a light as we do here in the USA. For that matter, I don't even think they hate him as much in the UK as they do here. Probably has something to do with a larger/more influential Jewish population over here. Over there, he's just that bastard that bombed you guys from across the Channel and there's a sizeable cadre of the UK population that think "Hey,that Hitler guy had the right idea", making the BNP the 5th largest political party in the country. Though I'm not certain how influenced they are by the Nazis exactly.

Anyway, back on the subject of Japanese Nazis, I don't think they'll ever forget the tragic day that they lost the Hitler Building.

I have always found this picture fascinating:

It just looks so odd to see some people so very much not the Nazi genetic ideal wearing WWII German-style uniforms.

Aaanyway, one of the problems with Phelps and his family is how much air time they get. They are just, what, about 100 people of which 70-ish are Phelps' relative yet they have made headlines in many, many countries. We, and our media, are feeding their publicity lust.

What's wrong with giving freaks air time? Well, at least as long as you make fun of them! :D

When I was in Japan my friend and I saw some crazy guys driving around in vans playing war anthems, shouting slogans and flying old flags. It was funny. Nobody we were with when we saw them was able to tell us anything about them other than to confirm they were some right-wing idiots who want a war.

Aliotroph? said:

What's wrong with giving freaks air time? Well, at least as long as you make fun of them! :D

Nothing too much except that giving them air time, even to ridicule them, makes them seem more important than they are. Why are they on TV? Obviously they are important enough to make a TV show about.

The WBC lot are clearly batshit insane, vile, thoroughly unpleasant and corrupted people and are very small in number yet they have appeared on some very high profile programs, had a number of documentaries made about them and had a TV presence and managed to ruffle feathers all over the globe. (I mean, why have I heard of an insane preacher from Topeka Kansas and his equally mad family and been able to watch programs about them in the UK?)

OK, as a result of their exposure, they have come across to most people as vile, hate-filled, immoral and cruel rabid people but they have been accorded some importance as a result of their appearances - and they seem to believe that their messages are getting across as a result. Also, however small this number is, they must have touched some like-minded people via the publicity. I can't help feeling that if they had just been ignored and simply treated as insane irrelevances, rather than sensationalised, it would have been better.

It doesn't make a difference if they inspire a few thousand like-minded people. It's better to have things in the open and they are interesting to look at from a psychological point of view because they are such a strange anomaly. Crazy fringe things are interesting and some of the scarier ones can even be somewhat prevented by letting more people in on how they work.

The documentary above is a bit stupid. The guy doing it doesn't come off as very smart. He repeats questions and then spends an awful lot of time babbling about how offensive some things are. Curiously, he doesn't ask anything of any family members who left the church. Actually, it's interesting that I don't recall ever hearing any of them saying anything despite all the publicity the church gets. That's really odd for a strict religious group.

gggmork said:
Or such people are just irl trolls.

I'd say he is a troll, regardless of anything else that may apply. What he does is a grotesque parody aimed at provoking disputes even if he thinks he means something else in addition at some point or other. Not to mention he's a titanic hypocrite. I don't buy that he buys what he sells. He seems like the epitome of projection. "I suck to the max and there's nothing I can do about it, so you all go to hell forever. God hates America."

This guy also reminds me of extreme-attitude styles like many death metal bands or the like, that try as hard as possible to be something nasty and controversial to (supposedly) prove something to the world.

Enjay said:
I can't help feeling that if they had just been ignored and simply treated as insane irrelevances, rather than sensationalised, it would have been better.

Yeah, but some people find this sort of character useful. If these idiots can be remotely acceptable, it's harder to condemn certain milder yet more damaging behaviors of a similar type being promoted by certain groups. Likewise, these freaks are possible because there's a social environment that demands them. There's "room" for them, due to how people are prepared ideologically.

I just looked up Billy Graham on Wikipedia. He seems like a pretty good guy. It says he opposed segregation during the civil rights movement and even paid Martin Luther King's bail. If he's going to Hell and some crazed alcoholic tweaker who beat the shit out of his children is going to Heaven then that's pretty fucked up.

Enjay said:

Aaanyway, one of the problems with Phelps and his family is how much air time they get. They are just, what, about 100 people of which 70-ish are Phelps' relative yet they have made headlines in many, many countries. We, and our media, are feeding their publicity lust.

No, it's important to drag out those fringe groups into the open and call them on their bullshit. Making it clear that their shit is not accepted.

I don't know. It's a difficult one. People need to know about these loonies and they (the WBC) do need to be told that their shit is unacceptable. I agree with that. However, the method of "calling them" (repeated media exposure) feeds right into what they want - publicity (you know, the stuff that there is no bad kind of). All the controversy, all the TV hosts arguing with them, the ratings of these shows - all of that stuff - tell the WBC that they are achieving what they want. I'm not sure how else it should be done though.

@Aliotroph?, yes, I agree that the documentary was weak. There were very few searching questions, obvious points were not picked up on or exploited and things were repeated. It just came across as a bit insipid. If you watch all of the episodes, you'll see a couple of instances where Louis Theroux tries to interview Fred Phelps and Phelps pretty much dismisses Theroux with answers like "that was a dumb question", "already asked and answered, next" and "you had your chance and you wasted it on a question like that". Much as I hate to admit it, I find myself agreeing with Phelps on that.

I think at this point, Phelps and crew cannot and will never be swayed from their insanity, and I've got a hard time imagining that anyone semi-sane is in danger of being damaged by their obvious silliness. They're trolls, essentially. There's no longer any sense to confront them on anything -- it wouldn't affect the status quo in the slightest. The "best" course of action would be to let them just drop off the map so people won't care any more.

Of course, they're much too entertaining to that happen... :P

Snakes said:

FIRE IT UP! FIRE IT UP!!!

*Video 'bout Baptist Family*

Wow, um.... I've heard of people like this, but I've never seen it in motion like this...

Um, now while the Bible goes against homosexuality, I'm pretty sure it dose not say anything about them being condemned to Hell, or being struck down by God, or whatever. Besides out of everything, I'm pretty sure the God and Jesus had much more inportant things to do than continuosly control the homos and send them to Hell. If anything, I belive all he wanted was followers of all kinds, regardless of anything, as long as they belived in him or however that goes.

These people are nuts too. Just a bunch of self-righteous loons.

Anyone ever see these people (Or similars) in person while in action? Just curious.