Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alboroto

Top 10 Doom Mods

9. Bill Gates Doom

C'mon. Isn't that just he and his face superimposed on the game for promotional purposes? And with invincibility no less.

I'm amused that all of the coolest mods are the ones that make it not Doom :P And I'd swap Bill Gates for the Aliens TC (or the Aliens Doom I have) in such a list.

I love how 80% of the mods they chose are mods that are based off of TV shows, movies, or other games.

Alboroto said:

Comment :)

There's no Action Doom 2. That alone invalidates any "top Doom mod" list (still, at least it does have Batman Doom which definitely deserves a place in the list).

Captain Toenail said:

Apart from Megaman and the Mecha mod their list is a bit dated, have they even looked at other recent mods?

Wait WHAT? My unfinished, badly-broken-in-recent-ZDoom-versions giant robot mod made this list? Why that of all things and not something else?!

Alboroto said:

Comment :)

Chex Quest, Action Doom 2 and Harmony should have been on the list.

Cybie isn't on the list. Insta-fail.

Also, I recall there was an actual Bill Gates mod that replaced Cacodemons with floating Bill Gates heads....or maybe I'm confusing it with the Bill Clinton one. Then there's always Mars Wars....

Did they pick 10 TCs and/or ZDoom wads at random, or..?

There's no article, just a list of the top 10 "best Doom mods". Best what? What are they the best at? Nearly all of the choices are hugely contestable, with one of them not even being a Doom mod, and there's no explanation behind any of the choices to persuade anyone of their verisimilitude.

No mention of the Army of Darkness TC, Massmouth, Sonic Robo Blast 2 or ZanZan - amongst others. Probably the work of a junior staffer who was to lazy to do much more than grab a random sample of Doom-related YouTube videos.

GreyGhost said:

Probably the work of a junior staffer who was to lazy to do much more than grab a random sample of Doom-related YouTube videos.

I agree with everything other than the 'junior' part - the site barely looks better than one of those automatically generated spam sites on a squatted domain. The likelihood that anybody associated with that site has played Doom in the last 15 years, let alone any of those mods, is less than 1%.

Man I must not have been paying attention to the doom community for a while now. I haven't played ANY of those mods save for Batman Doom and Action Doom.

I dunno I think this is fairly accurate list HYUK HYUK HYUK!

I don't think this list is serious in any shape or form, pointing out that they're wrong isn't worth the effort.

At least it had Action Doom, though I'm disappointed there was no Action Doom 2.

This list blows. Why choose such a random amount of wads in such random categories with even more random gameplay videos? Only two or three wads listed there is worth one's time. All else can go die in a fire.

Cutman said:

I don't think this list is serious in any shape or form, pointing out that they're wrong isn't worth the effort.

Right. This list obviously isn't written from a Doomer's perspective. It's just, "Hey, you remember that Doom game back from when you were a kid? Here are ten waaaaacky things it's been made into." It's not worth getting up in a huff about.

esselfortium said:

Did they pick 10 TCs and/or ZDoom wads at random, or..?

There's no article, just a list of the top 10 "best Doom mods". Best what? What are they the best at? Nearly all of the choices are hugely contestable, with one of them not even being a Doom mod, and there's no explanation behind any of the choices to persuade anyone of their verisimilitude.

Hi, I'm esselfortium, you may remember me from BIG WORDS.

Whenever you take any subculture or community, especially one as esoteric as Doom, any attempts by the outside to critique or categorize will be seen as uninformed or wrong because the insiders perceive quality very differently. This article wasn't written for doomers. It's like how an electrical engineer might find a problem with a list of great electronics that included "the clapper."

Looks like they just did a Youtube search and posted the ones that caught their interest.

Kyka said:

WHERE WAS VUVUZELA DOOM ?

The guy who made it got fooled into deleting the video hence not in this article HA HA