Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was doing some reading about this so called ACTA or Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement and it looks totally bad. They can search your computer, mp3 players, etc. for stolen stuff without a warrant and put you in jail over it.

I really hope something like this doesn't pass. I don't steal stuff but I think it's wrong for them to just be able to fuck you over like that. Unfortunately dumbass Obama will probably pass it so we're screwed.

Who's we? Doom is the only game I play. If I want something new to play I have to open up Doombuilder. And I own all the CD's for the music I listen to. I don't like to steal from people that provide products that I like to have.

"We" would seemingly refer to people who value a nationally-supported right to privacy and are disturbed by the concept of searches without warrants. You don't have to commit piracy to be concerned about these issues, which are quite basic and fundamental to the nature of a society. It would be distressing if no citizens cared about these things.

boris said:

So in the worst case you'll get tortured to death because "they" hope you'll reveal a hidden volume (that isn't there).

Ahh, the future is bright isn't it?

After reading that, I went ahead and bought an Armani wallet and a pair of Raybans for 5 Eur from the Baglandeshi peddlers just round the corner, and flashed them at some patrolling policemen. They just said "good day Sir" and moved on.

GreyGhost said:

Bookmarked for future reference. It's a shame when people who are basically law-abiding have to consider playing hide'n'seek with the authorities, if that's not indicative of bad legislation I don't know what is.

The criminalization of trivial victimless acts is simply a means to an end, which is the goal of being able to put anyone in prison at any time. This provides the ability to control the populace and quash such abhorrent things as self-determination and the public address of grievances. Those things may have seemed valuable in the 1700's to a bunch of guys in powdered wigs, and they may damn well have served us well for 200 years, but we don't need them now in the 2010's. Other things are more important, like chasing a bunch of guys in turbans around Afghanistan to the tune of billions of dollars and you better damn well not say anything bad about it either! Right? ...

GreyGhost said:
It's a shame when people who are basically law-abiding have to consider playing hide'n'seek with the authorities, if that's not indicative of bad legislation I don't know what is.

That sort of alternative is a losing proposition that will end up dissolved into oblivion by its lack of transparency. The only effective way to do anything about this problem is to unite and collectively repudiate these initiatives openly.

Quasar said:
The criminalization of trivial victimless acts is simply a means to an end, which is the goal of being able to put anyone in prison at any time.

That's just paranoid. This stuff has more to do with artificially generating an environment where digital products may be sold at a higher price. Other uses are secondary and subservient to that. In the Americas, dictatorships were used to impose economic rules, not the other way around or as a means in themselves, for example. The "imprisonment" is, if anything, a metaphor for a forceful way to ensure consumers and customers. The irony is that the so-called "free market" and "freedom" essentially generate social restrictions and marginalization.

myk said:

This stuff has more to do with artificially generating an environment where digital products may be sold at a higher price.

This.

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement#Threats_to_freedom_and_fundamental_human_rights

"On 10 March 2010, the European Parliament adopted a resolution[51] criticizing the ACTA with 663 in favor of the resolution and 13 against, arguing that "in order to respect fundamental rights, such as the right to freedom of expression and the right to privacy" certain changes in the ACTA content and the process should be made.[51]"

It's already being stripped down from it's completely batshit insane version where they can strip search you for an iPod or some other nightmare scenario.

udderdude said:

...with 663 in favor of the resolution and 13 against...

Couldn't 3 people have changed their vote and made that funny? ;)

If they want, the Feds will just play the 'suspicous activity' card and take your computer away and find everything on it.

Enjoyed the link, Enjay. Have you seen this?

"If he joins himself to a ten-nation group, he will be on his way to fulfilling prophecy."

Bill gets back into the Whitehouse through his wife?

And they worshipped the dragon(Hillary) which gave power unto the beast(Bill): -Revelation 13:4

heh.

Theres enough fearmongering, assumption, and paranoia in this thread to keep Reynolds in business for years. If you're an American, current ACTA leaks show that virtually nothing is going to change for you at all. If you live in an EU country, a few things will change (and suck) but its not like we in America are shackled to "big content" by way of legalese or something. Computers still do what we want them to. If you live anywhere else idk, it ranges in varying degrees of suckage.

myk said:

That sort of alternative is a losing proposition that will end up dissolved into oblivion by its lack of transparency.

Have to agree with you there - I'll most likely be slung into jail for tainting non-free media with free software.

EDIT - link was too long, scroll down to Threats to freedom and fundamental human rights. Life's going to get interesting if the treaty won't allow us to use source ports or DOSBox to play Doom.

Kids, Nightmare Doom just said you were suffering from FUD. Nightmare Doom. When the crazy person in the straight jacket thinks you might be taking things out of proportion, it's time to pay attention.

GreyGhost said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of FUD, we're at least mentally prepared for when the worst happens. :P

Well it is said that paranoia can be heightened senses but it's also not healthy to live with and it will destroy you.

From his posting history, Nightmare Doom may be speaking from experience.

John Smith said:
its not like we in America are shackled to "big content" by way of legalese or something.

Maybe it can be said that way, as the legalese is more of a confirmation or insurance of said shackling than a cause.

SuperSlammer2 said:

Unfortunately dumbass Obama will probably pass it so we're screwed.

Obama can force an international trade agreement to pass?

Yes, American presidents control the economy, the morale of terrorists, all treaties, the religion of Americans and the quality of beer. This has been evident at least since the end of WWI.