Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vdgg

Galaxia: killing the spiders

This oldie has 17 spider masterminds in it, and unless I missed something, is it possible to kill them all? I mean, the other way than collecting every single shotgun shell in the map and shotgunning them. Bullets, rockets and cells are present, too, but there is not enough ammo for their respective weapons.

(I know one spider can be crushed, but the rest?)

Second question: 14 spiders don't move nor shoot (I ran the WAD with PrBoom+, complevel 3). Should they move or not?

Oh man, that wad. That takes me back. Not quite back all the way to 1994, but back to when I first explored the "10 Years of Doom" feature, long before I ever started posting.

I dunno. You've made me curious, though.

Use ZDoom and let the compatibility option to use the original bogus hitboxes off.

Use your weapons to kill the three roaming spiders.

Then punch to death all fourteen of them that are stuck in something (that's why you have to use ZDoom).

i played this .wad long before there was any source port and i remember very clearly that on your first trip down that hallway, the spiders ignore you. it's only on your way back down the hall that the spiders attack you. i never looked at it in an editor, but i believe this is as intended.
also, i believe it is intended for the player to not be able to kill them all as well.

The Lag said:
i played this .wad long before there was any source port and i remember very clearly that on your first trip down that hallway, the spiders ignore you. it's only on your way back down the hall that the spiders attack you. i never looked at it in an editor, but i believe this is as intended.

It would make sense if I needed to run the hallway twice, but I run it once, activate the crusher, pick up blue key and go to the starting area. Are you sure it wasn't Marswar or another WAD?

Gez said:
Use ZDoom and let the compatibility option to use the original bogus hitboxes off.
Use your weapons to kill the three roaming spiders.
Then punch to death all fourteen of them that are stuck in something (that's why you have to use ZDoom).

ZDoom is not my port of choice. Anyway,in ZDoom they would all attack me immediately. Punch them? Through impassable linedefs? I guess you were joking right from the beginning.

The idea of punching to death fourteen of the second-biggest hit point sponges in the game was as serious as it sounds.

Since this thread was mentioned after another max on the map, I guess I can add my 2 cents.

I'm fairly certain the author does not expect you to kill the masterminds, as that would go against the plot of the original 1980's comics.

Spoiler

In the finale the survivors travel to the last remaining bastion of humanity (of that non-Earth planet) in the mountains, only to find it overrun by giant spiders. They have to flee from infighting spiders and wasps onto the spaceship on which the two Earth cosmonaut heroes arrived. They leave the planet behind and begin a voyage back to Earth.

Spoiler

The primitive people of the giant insect-infested plant were actually developed once and there's even a large space station orbiting the planet. But in their hubris they genetically manipulated formerly regular-sized insect species until they broke loose and caused total collapse of the entire civilization. After generations of hiding in the jungle, this is unknown to the surviving natives our Earth heroes encounter.

So I guess from both the practical and lore standpoint it's safe to ignore the spiders. Or make a patch version that adds afrits...

Edited by dew